back to article Cloud Engines Pogoplug Pro DIY cloud box

Since Reg Hardware reviewed the earlier version of this device in February, the vendor, Cloud Engines, has made some significant firmware and hardware improvements that justify a second visit. Pogoplug Pro Cloud Engines' Pogoplug Pro: manly colours, this time round The obvious change to this new "Pro" version is the colour …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alistair Stewart
    Thumb Down

Terrible Internet Performance

It's a shame that performance over the internet using the supplied application on my Mac is terrible though. It is ten times faster for me to transfer files using Skype than to let them slowly dribble over from my Pogoplug. If I want to share files with anyone else, they have to sign up for a mypogoplug account which is why I haven't bothered with that idea.

2. Joe K
    WTF?

Unanswered question

Why in the name of god would anyone want to print out to your home printer, that you've presumably left on while on holiday/work away, while your out of the country or whatever?

I can't think of a single reason. Someone enlighten me here.

1. AGK
      Go

Send photos on Grandma's printer

I can imagine installing one of these at Grandma's house with a little photo printer. Then I can send photos of little Grandson and Granddaughter at any time. Grandma likes prints because she can show them to her buddies. The nice thing about the pogoplug is that I don't have to be a technical wizard and consultant should something go wrong. A photo site is nice, but then I have to teach G'ma about photo sites and how to navigate and how to print and....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Diesel Fitter

Solution looking for a problem.

Why have a Pogoplug running all the time when my domain hosting company gives me 1GByte of online storage? That's a lot of holiday snaps.

@Alistair Stewart

It's possible to mark a folder as shareable and obtain a link that can be used by anyone even without a mypogoplug account.

1. Cameron Colley

Only 1GB?

Perhaps that answers the question -- how would that help me host my 1TB of movies and music? Also, how would they help me print when I am at home? Oh, and how much more would it cost to get a VPN setup so I could feel safe in an internet cafe?

This is a solution to the problem that your home server is using too much power (and a few other things too).

5. David Hicks
    Thumb Up

What's the processor?

I have a sheevaplug which is great, but firstly it's a couple of years old now (and there are better chips available) and secondly it's on the other side of the planet.

So what are the actual specs here?

I'd love to hack debian linux on to it....

6. Anomalous Cowturd
    Thumb Up

If you're a proper nerd,

you'll have installed a proper *nix OS, and all the gubbins you want, (like me), and been chuffed to fsck!

7. Paul 172
    Thumb Down

What ?

"The advantage over Samba sharing as usually implemented is that the drives attached to the Pogoplug can be formatted for Window, Mac or Linux, and still appear as accessible shares on the desktop."

Are you sure ? Samba would work with and present the share regardless of how the drive is formatted. Please try harder...

8. BXL
    FAIL

Got one of these

It's not ready for prime time. Slow and buggy, I've hit a bug where my drives will disappear from the device every single day until it has been rebooted. I don't know what the iPhone one is like but the Android's application is useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like