back to article BBC.com begins commercial push

The BBC has already begun serving advertising to overseas visitors to its website, after its governing body agreed to the move last month. The rollout is being run by the Beeb's commercial arm, BBC Worldwide. It's starting with a gradual launch of European and North American campaigns ahead of a "full deployment" in January, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

Scrap the license fee?

Isn't it about time the government stopped aiding and abetting the BBC's demanding money with menaces?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminder to edit hosts.conf

I noticed these coming in over the past few days, and thankfully it reminded me to restore a hosts.conf file that points certain servers to 127.0.0.1.

The BBC News web site layout doesn't really lend it's self to ad's, it wasn't designed that way. At the time of their layout design it wasn't an issue. So currently, they look cludged in and mess up the whole BBC layout. I am a UK Ex-Pat so used the BBC News site a fair bit, but to be honest it now looks such a mess and leaps about during rendering, I don't think I'll bother. I'll hit another news site.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the advertising, but the way these are tacked in is tacky. The Reg for example, at least seems designed more around it's ads.

The BBC can't avoid that this is a messy afterthought, and it knocks their credibility.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

AdBlocker

Won't detract from content for anyone with Firefox AdBlockerPlus plugin installed :-P

4. John Bayly
    Thumb Up

Wait ...

... for all the people complaining that they look at new.bbc.co.uk as it's got no ads.

As long as people in the forces abroad, etc. aren't bombarded with ads, then I for one am happy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its bloody annoying

Hi lads,

I've been a fan of the Beeb for many years now, but only the news service -- I never bother with the rest.

This morning I woke to flashy crappy images on the lovely Beeb screen, its enough to make me use another news site.

I subscribe to Sky and get the beeb as standard -- do they not get a cut of this?

if yes, then why should I see all this flashy crap?

Cheers

Con.

6. Jacob Reid
    Paris Hilton

Adblock for the win.

Ads? Where? \o/

7. paulc
    Alert

penny drops...

now I know why they're so desparate to have DRM in this iPlayer application... so they can make it pay-per-view for non-UK citizens

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Flash Ads

I hate flash Ads that is why I love Ad Block Plus

9. David Evans

About time

Its only taken them 10 years. They were supposed to do this originally (with poor old ICL's cash). If they'd have done it then they'd have earned a shedload of cash and people wouldn't be so taken aback by it now. In fact loads of the commercial stuff they're now finally accepting as necessary for survival were suggested (and developed) by the beeb.com crew back in the day but were killed by the John Birt regime.

10. Tony
    Coat

Thankful...

I'm just thankful that they have tried to be subtle about it - most companies would have just shoehorned a leaderboard and a skyscraper into their layout somehow

:\

11. Lorenz Kahl
    Thumb Down

@Scrap the license fee?

I am an ex-pat in NZ and the TV here is truly awful 'cos of the ads every 10 minutes (and they last for about 3 minutes!)

we would welcome a licence fee just to get ad-free TV

12. Valan Chan
    Thumb Up

Overseas BBC License fee

Here in Hong Kong the TV is awful. If the BBC had something similiar to iTunes or a subscription service for the cost of the license fee, I would gladly pay it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Lorenz Kahl

But the BBC is not "ad free TV". There are ads for BBC programmes every 30 mins, between every programme. If they replaced their own propaganda with commercial ads of the same duration they could reduce the TV tax significantly

14. Paul M

The usual all over again

I can only assume that the people who complain about the TV licence fee have never had to subject themselves to "free" TV in other countries. I have found myself shouting, swearing and throwing things at the television when, after being convinced that there surely cannot be enough time left to slip in yet another ad before the end of the programme -they still manage it!!!!!

Anyway, about the topic in hand, the beeb have been reasonably subtle I think. Having said that, if you don't pay the licence, I can't see you've got much cause for complaint. Except me - although based in London my company's external IP address is based in Germany so I get the ads too......

15. randomtask
    Thumb Down

I was wondering!

I was wondering why my BBC new was rendering with a big gap below the main bar at the top and then everything moving up. Its really been doing my head in this last few days. Why not have it so that it has no ads by default and then checks your IP to see if it can populate your page with ads, so that us licence payers dont get fecked off with moving pages that are going nowhere!!!!

On a side note, good luck to whoever gets the "Congratulations you're the 999,999th Visitor" prize. I guess this wont be open to UK and NI residents :( :( ;)

16. Hugh Cowan
    Stop

Ads?

Ads? Oh yes those things that used to appear. God I love Adblock Plus! ;-)

17. randomtask
    Alien

Would you all...

...stop riding AdBlock Plus!!!!

One mention was enough!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Ah, that explains the white bits at the top of the web page I have started seeing, good old Privoxy working well, ooops I probably shouldn't have said that!!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sky and TV license

"I subscribe to Sky and get the beeb as standard -- do they not get a cut of this?

if yes, then why should I see all this flashy crap?"

If you're in the UK and have Sky, you need a TV license. BBC receives nothing from Sky with respect to TV licensing fees.

This topic is closed for new posts.