back to article iPhone to solve UK unemployment

Not content with redefining the mobile phone and computer industries, the iPhone can now take credit for creating new jobs and saving the UK economy, apparently. The news comes from O2, which is recruiting more than 1,400 new bods to help punters understand just how radically cool their new phone is, once it's launched on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

I too wonder why they need so many more staff members

After owning an imported iPhone for a couple of months now, I figured I might as well do the SIM Unlock business last weekend, seeing as it's officially coming to the UK this Friday.

Up until Saturday, I had just been using it as a glorified iPod Touch (albeit with email) with v1.0.2 firmware as I was still under contract with Three (who's SIM Cards are incompatible with 2G phones.)

The upgrade to v1.1.1 firmware and subsequent SIM Unlock was painless and I've been using it without any problems since then.

As a phone, it's effortlessly easy to use, in fact everything on it works in such a user-friendly way, I can't see any reason why O2 will need loads more staff on-hand, unless they're (a) expecting unprecedented sales and don't want a riot, (b) they're expecting issues with the new v.1.1.2 firmware which is coming on UK iPhones, (c) they have a very low impression of the intelligence of the typical UK iPhone buyer, or (d) they expect to have to fend off all the "Why can't I send a text to multiple recipients?" / "Why can't I send a picture message?" / "Why doesn't it take video?" / "Why isn't there Copy Paste functionality?" questions.

The questions I listed above are currently the only gripes I have with the iPhone, and I like to think I fit the "power user" category of phone users.

Anyway, the most important thing this week is to keep the damn thing out of site when I walk down the high street so I don't get mugged for it!

2. Andy Worth

See the future.....

And in a few weeks, when the novelty wears off and sales drop, there will be 1400 more people back on the job market.

3. Andrew Livingston

C'mon

While it unquestionably took too long, 3rd party apps are coming to iPhone in February when the SDK is released, so attempting to infer that they're not coming at all is simply misleading...

4. My Opinion

Illegal to buy an iPhone?

"...even before we can (legally) buy one..."

That's news to me! (The fact that it is ILLEGAL to buy an imported iPhone.)

So exactly which law stated that it is currently illegal to buy an iPhone?

I think we should be told!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The futures bright....

for a few months anyway, then wait for the headlines...

02 to lay off thousands once the initial craze wears off....

6. Nick Palmer
    Jobs Horns

KNIGHTHOOD????

OK...cunning, I see where you're going with the knighthood angle...bagsy first go with the sword...

7. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Yeah, Apple Will Hire Hundreds of REPAIR Technicians

For like replacing the battery YOU CAN'T.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well

Presumably doctors will also be doing a roaring trade in lobotomising potential owners?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Why the Apple phone will fail, and fail badly

"...Is there anything it can't do?..."

Yes Bill there is one more thing the iPhone can do...

It is a reminder tool of how foolish your analysis can be.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/23/iphone_will_fail/

10. Neil Hoskins

Lolcats view of the iPhone

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/06/29/web-apps/

11. Christopher Rogers
    Happy

@kam

brilliant.

12. Stu
    Stop

OMG!

Nice, 1400 staff more stupid and lethargic than your typical PC World staffer!

I can imagine a nice long transcript conversation between your typical o2 iPhone oik and the customer, "I've got a question...", mostly resulting in them passing the customer onto someone who has worked at o2 a little bit longer than them who also can't help. "cant help you mate, but it looks cool so u want one! Look it only costs £300"

Oh let me make one more point (I think I might have made it before) - FACT - the iPhone actually costs over £900!

"But thats alright, its spread out over 18 months". Yeah right.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

iPod iTouch

Now I want one of these, but I really cant see the point of paying a lot more for the phone chucked in. Im not going to go around waving this expensive gadget in bars, can you really see yourself at 4am coming out of the night club and calling a cab with an iPhone. Your all messed up with a distinct lack of anything approaching sense, yeah right. Im going to take my iPhone, like fuck I will.

Which means I still need another device, cos I need to call that cab.

Taxi !

14. Sampler
    Coat

lol

Now that is a phrased used often on the net and I think most people didn't actually laugh - but I did when I saw this:

"Why can't I send a text to multiple recipients?" / "Why can't I send a picture message?" / "Why doesn't it take video?" / "Why isn't there Copy Paste functionality?

Excuse me? You can't do these very BASIC functions on your shiny new bum plug?

Windows mobiles have been doing these, everything else the iPhone does and has had a long running open sdk - HTC have been making some great phones based on it and a lot come free on a 12 month contract.

But then the better product never does seem to get the good marketing.

15. Joshua Murray
    Jobs Halo

@ Stu & @ Kam

Stu

New "hawt" phones on an 18 month contract do cost a lot when you add the monthly line rental (x18) to the cost of the phone, this isn't just specific to the iPhone, so I don't think your argument is particularly valid unfortunately.

Kam

Thanks for the link to Bill's article from last year... Apart from the title of the article (inferring that the iPhone would be a flop), it's actually a pretty accurate prediction. In fact, until we see how many sell in the UK, you never know, but he might be right!

16. Allan Rutland

SMS

The biggest flaw, of which the phone has many (the review of it on Channel 4's Gadget Show was quiet good), is the SMS support. As was clearly shown this week, we in Blighty send 1.2 BILLION text messages per week. And that's increasing. While Jobs and co may whine its an ancient and evil technology which we should avoid, the fact is, we won't.

We like our texts, and until the iPhone gets better support for SMS, it will be nothing but a pointless fashion statement lacking real world features...like the majority of things Apple make then!

17. Charlie

Whats the point

Surely all the jobs will only go to them damn immigants anyway?

"...immigants, i knew it was them. Even when it was the bears i knew it was the immigants;;;"

18. Fatty Treats

Why the Apple phone will fail, and fail badly

<quote>

"...Is there anything it can't do?..."

Yes Bill there is one more thing the iPhone can do...

It is a reminder tool of how foolish your analysis can be.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/23/iphone_will_fail/

</quote>

I believe the tagline for this story was what's known as SARCASM you fecking eegit. Do you really think it's possible for the ‘iPhone to solve UK unemployment’ as per the headline? I would suggest not, unless (not flash) Gordon thinks of adding being on all fours with Jobs in your mouth and your iPhone up your arse as a form of employment.

This comment is a reminder of how foolish a tool you are.

F. Treats

19. Dan
    Mars

spin that bell

Sounds to like O2/Apple spinning up the fact that they, just like most stores & customer support places hire extra staff for the extended festive season to cope with the increase in custom over Christmas.

20. Seanie Ryan
    Flame

no pleasing

when there was a lack of staff to handle the rush in the US everybody complained that apple/ at&t were badly prepared and only interested in screwing people.

now they are hiring extra to cope and people can only say why are they needed if the phone is so easy to use.

the answer is that they are needed to deal with time wasters like you who have to find something to be unhappy about. gobshites.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

There cannot be a rush!

People still don't get it. There cannot be a "rush" to buy the phone from Carphone Warehouse or O2 shops at 6pm on Friday. They close at that time and there's been absolutely no indication that they'll open past their normal closing time.

Clever huh? They're shut -- so no rush, no real need for extra staff (in the shops that is) either.

Extra staff in O2's Indian call centre -- now that's a great idea.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@My Opinion

I believe this ruling might be relevant http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/21/the_tesco_ruling_what_does/

23. Scott Mckenzie

Err... stores opening

I'm not entirely sure where you live Mr Anonymous Coward but by me every 02, Apple and Carphone Warehouse store is closing at lunch time and re-opening between 6pm and midnight to furnish the demand.

Or are you basically spouting non substantiated rubbish as it backs up your highly flawed argument?

24. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

Locked / unlocked - legal / illegal.

ISTR that in France they have to sell unlocked iPhones (El Reg articles passim).

IASTR that in the EU you cannot prevent consumer cross-border trade.

Exactly *who* are O2 going to be selling iPhones to in the UK I wonder? I'll bet that French sales will be brisk though.......

25. Olaf

Surely you jest - Invention on the year!

I love my iPhone and all the hype is actually true:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1677329_1678542,00.html

No other cell phonr comes close and will not for a year or so.

26. Law
    Jobs Horns

re: I too wonder why they need so many more staff members

Mugged, or just punched in the face for being a smug idiot?? lol

Personally, I'm waiting until v2 of the phone before I bother getting one... until then I will put up with the annoying features-by-design on my annoying Sammy U600.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like