back to article Red Hat launches Enterprise Linux 6

Wednesday's launch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 was a kind of non-event event. If it's hard to make a server operating system announcement exciting, it is perhaps even more difficult to make it predictable, or almost boring. But that's what commercial Linux distributor Red Hat has tried to do for the last decade, and in its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuzzysteve
    WTF?

ipv6

IPv6 is hardly new. it's been in linux for ages. And on by default, too.

No idea why they're mentioning it in the 'what's new'.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

IPv6 is always new...

and new, and new, and new...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Ipv6

Tried to do stateful firewalling in IPv6 under RHEL4/5 ?

I assume they mean that there is now feature parity with IPv4.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

PC Gone mad

"600 person-years"

Is this a new El-Reg measurement which includes sweat shop labour of babies/infants/toddlers etc ... or just El-Reg staff suffering a major PC infection ?

Remember "Man" is a generic term including both sexes "Male" and "Female". Just like we use "Ovine" or "Porcine" to describe Sheep or Pigs in general.

1. Dunstan Vavasour
      Coat

The male embraces the female

"Man" is used with two meanings, which come from different roots. The Greek root ἀνήρ means a male as opposed to a female (and is the root of the name Andrew), while the root ἄνθρωπος means a member of mankind (and is the root of the term anthropology).

The term "Man years" is clearly based on the ἄνθρωπος meaning, but those who choose to take offence will construct a straw man interpretation that it is actually based on the ἀνήρ meaning.

We have the same problem with "Free" having distinct and different meanings.

Mine's the one with a copy of LibreOffice in the pocket.

2. steogede

Re: PC Gone mad

>> Jim Totten... said... 600 person-years (from the article)

Give them a break, they are only reporting what the person said.

>> Remember "Man" is a generic term including both sexes "Male" and "Female". Just like we use "Ovine" or "Porcine" to describe Sheep or Pigs in general.

Do you? I just use "pigs" or "sheep", if I am referring to a particular sex I might use "sow" or "boar" or "ewe" or "ram".

3. Bill Neal
      Go

Person-years

I wonder if SnOracle considers child labor as (each child=0.75 person) for billing purposes only perhaps? As with multicore proccessors, surely each child can't fully equal the workload of each standalone adult.

3. Jerry
    Happy

Now runs at speed on pico servers

I'm waiting for the Centos release, but I know there is a single major improvement waiting for for me in RHEL6 for my Atom based servers and older laptops.

That is the disk drives will run at full speed, not at an IDE emulation speed of a couple of megabytes per second.

Finally I can get super-low power fanless serving happening at an acceptable speed.

I also run embedded equipment using Centos 5. Perhaps the new version will assist with better audio drivers? And/or memory/flash overlay?

4. vegister

About time

RHEL v5 series went on 1 year too long in my opinion

Desktop users running RHEL/Centos have been struggling with ancient application versions, and in some cases (chrome, etc) - no ability to run the application at all due to glibc versions. Additionally v5 inherited some annoying intel video bugs.

Servers are running happily on v5 but new deployments will get v6 here.

1. Nigel 11
      Linux

Using the wrong distro?

"*** Desktop users *** running RHEL/Centos have been struggling with ancient application versions, and in some cases (chrome, etc) - no ability to run the application at all due to glibc versions."

That's because it's a server distro where stability and long-term support is valued and the bleeding edge is something to stay well away from. I'd suggest that if you want rup to date desktop, then run Fedora (for Red Hat flavour), or Ubuntu. Red Hat don't ship frequent releases, because they are committed to continue to provide support for several years.

I find swapping to and from between CentOS servers and Fedora desktops very little trouble. Ubuntu rather more painful (because all the management stuff is unfamiliar, rather than because of anything to do with quality). I even put Fedora on a server once, when Red Hat lacked the necessary hardware support. It was easy to migrate it to Centos once the Red Hat support caught up. However, wouldn't recommend this where 24x7x365 is required!

1. Pandy06269

RHEL not just a server distro

"That's because it's a server distro"

Wrong. RHEL is not just a server distro - it also has a desktop variant. http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/

Yes, I agree Redhat focus on stability rather than bleeding edge.

2. vegister

Distro

Fedora's support isn't long enough - in a university situation for example, researchers and phd students usually don't want their machine re-kickstarted with a newer version during their 3+ year stay.

Ubuntu LTS and Debian are possibilies and I am considering those all the time (150 or so desktops on Linux running well), yes, but the RHEL situation would have been fine if the v6 release came out 12 months ago. Although i am not happy about the impending changes to ubuntu (unity on desktops)

I don't need bleeding edge afforded by running ubuntu 10.10+PPAs (like i do on my own desktop) but i do want stability+ more recent versions of apps (e.g. texlive has replaced tetex but RHEL still has ancient version of tetex only).

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

ho hum

pff, we're still running rhel3

1. vegister

EOL

i hope not, for your sake. RHEL3 is end-of-life now unless you buy a special addon Extended lifecycle subscription

6. Alan Brown Silver badge
    FAIL

Ho hum^2

The amount of pain, suffering and brokenness upgrading from rhl4 GFS to rhel5 GFS (it's STILL broken!) discourages me from even thinking about rhel6.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When you test GFS under RHEL6

Let us know if it works as expected.

7. Paul Johnston

Re: About time

I do understand what you mean. We have RHEL 5.3 and the version of php is quite low when trying to install drupal. You can of course put a newer version on in addition but that's not really the point.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like