back to article How to improve productivity in the workplace

Struggling with system, workflow or general productivity bottlenecks and break points? El Reg may have just the fillip. We aim to dissect the notion of productivity in this live webcast on November 11 at 11:30am GMT. We look at some of the specifics that should make all of us, and ideally your organisation as a whole, that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FanMan

Just get yourself a clockwork tomater.

The Pomodoro technique (check it out) sure worked for me: I'm guessing a 350% improvement in productiveness.

Tick Tock Tick Tock BBBRRRRRRKACHINNNNG!

2. Robert Moore
    Grenade

Simple

Just block access to Facebook, Twitter, hotmail, gmail, and El Reg.

OK, maybe not El Reg.

3. JaitcH
    Pint

How to improve productivity in the workplace? Monitor InterNet use.

The number of paid hours squandered idling on the InterNet is universal and only limited by access.

My employers instituted announced InterNet usage monitoring about 2 years ago and after 6 months it announced a policy of blocking all non-business URL's during paid work hours and wide open at all other times.

Works well and has improved timekeeping and productivity.

4. Highlander

How to improve productivity in the workplace

Block Facebook/Twitter at the perimeter. Killing Farmville would add 20% to productivity globally.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

We are all far to busy

to find time for this podcast. You know all that real work that must be done like yesterday even if it is just putting <insert FPS Game of choice> on some wanker of a manager laptop

Ok, I'm outta here. Down the pub in fact. So is it the pint glass or the coat?

That is the most important decision of the day.

The Pint wins naturally.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about ..

... getting rid of everyone who finds time to attend the podcast. This will take out all the management and 'experts' who think they know how to do IT, but in fact just get in the way of the real capable ones.

7. Michael 77
    Black Helicopters

Not hard, but requires thinking

Cut the working day to 6 hours, including a half-hour lunch-break.

Think about it .....

If you can't see that would generate a big win, you have a problem with this whole topic!

8. rvt

kill socials

Kill social networks, but we all need mail.

I set my mail retrieval to 1 hour instead of something really fast. This helps me a lot to make sure I don't get distracted with any stuff I am not interested in. If I expect a mail from a client, I just poll it myself once a while.

Also, don't use online services like google docs... they are a real pain in the rear in terms of productivity, local tools are way faster

9. Ken 16 Silver badge
    WTF?

an hour long webcast?

To aid productivity?

Couldn't you boil it down into a pithy article that takes 5 minutes to read?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.