back to article Disaster recovery blurs into high availability (or other way round?)

IT managers use two terms when talking about systems availability. These are: High Availability or “HA”, for keeping systems running without any form of unplanned down time; and Disaster Recovery or “DR”, for ensuring that systems are rapidly returned to operation if they fail. Some confusion has developed between these terms …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

HA & DR?

From my perspective, it's online (local memory ... fast ... a workstation), nearline (available over the network, without human intervention ... sometimes slowish ... "the web") & offline (tape that isn't physically available to the Memorex robot and needs human intervention ... "the cloud") ... but then I come from a real hardware background.

In other news ... March of 2008? Is freeformdynamics getting further & further behind? Perhaps they should get their heads out of the Clouds and invest in online storage ...

2. Steve X

Some confusion has developed between these terms over the years.

True, and this article isn't helping.

Traditionally High Availability (HA) has meant the same as it does today, ensuring that a localised fault such as a server or network outage, or a disk crash, is automatically handled in such a way that a service remains available, or is restored very rapidly.

Disaster Recovery (DR), as the name implies, is a solution to a more widespread outage, perhaps a fire or a flood, which takes a whole datacentre off-air. It may not be automated, and recovery times are often somewhat longer, especially when it is integrated as part of a general Business Continuity plan which covers more than just the IT aspects of a disaster.

I would say that there is much more confusion between the terms Fault Tolerant (FT) and Highly Available (HA), which may be what this article is really considering.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

tx

Well, I quite liked the article, don't care so much about whether it's HA or DR as long as it's UP...

Having been partially DOWN myself recently, I think this is a very important topic.... I especially like the idea of a "business service catalogue" which details costs/benefits of HA solutions, for a particular input.

I also like the idea of a root cause log, not mentioned in the article but implied by the very nice bar chart. I plan on implementing both as database tables in my BIS.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like