back to article Sun pumps out a profit as shipments continue decline

Sun Microsystems failed to blow away investors with its first quarter results but did hand in a decent performance. The server maker boosted revenue by close to one per cent, hitting $3.22bn in sales. It also posted net income of $89m, which compares to a net loss of $56m in the same period last year. Sun managed to turn the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Oh for goodness sake.....

Funny how this particular "author" finds something negative to say when Sun produce some good news.

And when it's not negative enough, the "author" chooses to use playground-level insults ( e.g. "My little pony" ).

Pity El Reg doesn't include a feed that allows particular authors to be ignored in the RSS feeds.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

A question

What does identity management software do and don't lie I can find out I am just lazy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Sun Watcher

Ashlee, please ignore comment #1 above. Working in the channel (hence the AC post) I get all sorts of stuff from Sun under NDA, and they now say "please keep this to yourselves, we don't want to read it in the Register". That is, they recognise that the Reg is a now a primary source of early information about their forthcoming products, and that must be mostly down to your endeavours.

Sun's quarterly results are beginning to get boring, which is A Good Thing - contrast this with the roller-coaster ride which was the early 00's. As The Reg's chief Sun Watcher, it must be difficult to make these results announcements into interesting news articles.

Still, what with the Semi Coherent Computing and Open Season download programmes, AV is my equal favourite reg author, alongside the fantastic Lewis Page (you won't find an accurate definition of an AK47 on Cnet). See you on the Virtualisation Web Seminar later.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Coat

RE: Oh for goodness sake.....

LOL! Poor ol' Ash is now being accused of being the Anti-SUN!! Welcome to the Dark Side, Ash. Actually, it seemed a quite positive piece. If I'd been writing it I would have replaced "....The company also brought in $574m in cash during the quarter, leaving it with $5.19bn to blow on another tape storage vendor...." with "....The company also brought in $574m in cash during the quarter, leaving it with $5.19bn to blow on paying off NetApp...."

I'll have a new ski jacket, please!

5. mommycalled

Sun profits

Tsk Tsk You got your panties all in a wad because we can get a reliable high performance desktop/server with a tested reliable operating system instead of a WallyMart^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H HP special with Linus's toyOS (c). I am tired of wasting precious time with hardware that rips your hands to shreds when you need to replace a disk or add memory only to find the power supply died taking out all the entire box. Don't even get me started on toyOS. When I buy Sun hardware it works as advertised out of the box. I just bought a Sun 1u server, for $700 list less than the HP/Dell/Gateway equal, why buy crap when you can get quality

6. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

My Little Pony

ROFL!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like