back to article Canadian boffins make blood from human skin, put it into mice

Canadian boffins say they have managed to make human skin turn into blood: and, cleverly, they have avoided the possible pitfall of the new blood tending to cause cancer in mice. It was already known how to make red blood cells from stem cells, but the trouble with this method is that it produces embryonic or fetal blood - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh noes

OCT4 the new Ebola :)

2. Justicesays
    Alert

Bleedin' zombies

"The method involves infecting living adult skin cells with a special virus which inserts a gene known as OCT4"

Well, that sounds like it could either be used to make lots of blood for transfusions.

Or the latest biological weapon that will see us staggering down the streets , moaning , as our skin dissolves off our bodies leaving a bloody trail.

Lets hope the bio hazard controls hold up on that lab eh.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next up:

Make this stuff into spray form. So you can turn any bloody miscreant youf into a bloody big bloody lake'o'blood and bloody well flush them down the bloody toilet.

But all bloody hoax-scaring aside, sounds good. Keep up the bloody good work, blood boffin boys.

1. hplasm
      Boffin

Hook: The Boosted Man

The future is coming, dis-gel has arrived. next up, plate-fab clothes.

4. John G Imrie

Am I the only one sick enougth

to consider this a new form of torture.

Tell us what we want to know or we will turn all your skin into blood cells and watch you drain away.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Am I the only one sick enougth

You're probably not the only one paranoid enough to think that every scientific development will be employed by Teh Governments at some point for EVIL.

But yes, that is pretty sick. Thanks.

1. thecakeis(not)alie

@Sarah Bee

Every scientific development is employed by some government (or corporation - is there a difference anymore?) for EVIL. In fact a great many of our technological advancements are because governments/corporations put time and money into trying to develop new tools - usually for EVIL. “How can I use this to oppress people/make huge wads of cash” is generally the primary motivator for research nowadays. It’s rare – and wonderful – when research comes along that has a different motivation.

Truth be told however, I don’t see the point of this particular process for EVIL. There are plenty of terrible things (like acids) you could use to dissolve someone that seem like way less work. Given they use a virus for dissemination, my guess is that it would form a great carrier (with some modification) for a highly targeted biological weapon. I am guessing that the boffins in question engineered out the virus’ ability to replicate very far; something that is hugely important in designing a bioweapon that won’t come back to bite you in the ass.

Even if you are using it only to produce vast quantities of blood for your soldiers, (something most people would not see as EVIL because it is simply trying to ‘save lives’,) the folks you are fighting against would probably view this as an EVIL application of technology. You are using technology to provide your side with an advantage (wounded soldiers not dying when you injure them) that the other side doesn’t have.

So technology being used for EVIL? Almost certainly! The question is…who gets to define EVIL?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Am I the only one sick enough

Wouldn't work.

For a start, shouting: "Now tell us what we want to know or we'll do that again." down the drain isn't likely to get a useful response.

However if you happen to be an evil villain, this is just what you need. A quick squirt of this stuff on your victim just before you drop him into the shark pool should produce the perfect result, regardless of when your minions last fed the sharks.

5. Stratman

title

It seems an awful lot of trouble to go to for a mouse's transfusion.

Couldn't they find a donor mouse?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Blood Banks

Excellent idea! Blood banks have struggled for years to recruit enough donors. Now they can offer up a choice: Donate your blood or your skin. Blood donations should increase greatly.

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Cheese Slicer

I'll take a needle jab over a cheese slicer down my thigh any day TYVM.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

True Blood...

Humans just became redundent...

get your Special V here

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like