back to article Student Cluster Competition: The runners and riders

Eight university teams - six from the US, one from Russia and one from Taiwan descend on the SC10 supercomputing show in New Orleans next week to take part in the Student Cluster Competition (SCC). The students bring their own self-designed and built clusters to the show, re-assemble them, and race to complete a set of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

What a shame the UK aren't represented...

Whatever happened to us. We had great people like IK Brunel, Babbage and Turing. Now we don't even get into a university HPC competition...

Who are our famous people these days? Wayne Rooney, David Beckham and whichever no hopers are currently winning the "X grade celebrity dance out of here factor game".

Added to that I spotted one incorrectly used apostrophe and one wrong word used (heard not herd) on the BBC news site this morning.

What is the country coming to?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: What a shame the UK aren't represented...

""Whatever happened to us. We had great people like IK Brunel, Babbage and Turing. Now we don't even get into a university HPC competition...""

Stephen Hawking - Theoretical Physicist.

Tim Berners-Lee - Computer Scientist.

Brian Cox - Particle Physicist, ATLAS experiment HLC,CERN.

Andrew Wiles - Mathematician, proved Fermat's Last Theorem.

Richard Dawkins - Evolutionary Biologist.

Robert Edwards - Biology, pioneered IVF.

Frederick Sanger - Biochemist, Nobel laureate.

These are just a few living British scientists to dismiss your ignorance of British achievement.

If I had all day I could give you a list of hundreds more in all manner of disciplines.

2. Jimmy Floyd
    Joke

Clusterf...

Hmmm, when I was a student it was a distinctly different form of 'clustering' that many were seeking and fewer achieved...

3. danolds
    Alert

Correction! Stony Brook is not Russia

The Stony Brook fight song is NOT the Russian National anthem. We had a bit of a mix up in the editing/posting process and it will be fixed soon. The Stony Brook fighting Seawolves have their own theme song and it's quite nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do please turn down the volume.

"The Stony Brook fighting Seawolves have their own theme song and it's quite nice"

I doubt that very much. That a university computing team chooses to call themselves the 'fighting Seawolves', has a fighting/marching tune (I can't be arsed to go back and look which) and so forth is something that only a merkin could find 'quite nice'. Are the university cheerleaders putting in an appearance too? Hmm, that might not be so bad provided they have a mute button.

The rest of the world finds such behaviour childish, gauche and distasteful. Leave the pom poms, ticker tape and other such razzmatazz to the NFL please, that thankfully is rarely seen or heard outside your shores.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like