back to article Oracle enlists private dick to sniff out HP boss

Oracle has reportedly recruited private investigators to locate Hewlett-Packard boss Leo Apotheker. According to a Reuters report that cited an anonymous source, Oracle is hoping get former SAP chief Apotheker to provide testimony in a court case in which Larry Ellison’s company is claiming $4bn in damages for software theft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Tabloid

Nice tabloid you've got here. Keep it up!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ellison...

Ellison is starting to make Steve Ballmer look sane - and that takes some doing!!!

3. M Gale

So if this is US based...

...why doesn't said boss respond to every single question with "I plead the 5th"?

1. Tom 13

Apotheker is trying to prevent them serving the subpoena,

thus avoid appearing in court at all. Pleading the 5th only protects you from self-incrimination in LEGAL proceedings. If you are the CEO of a company that's not the sort of thing you want to be saying in court unless you are facing a long stay in The Big House. Saying it repeatedly is likely to cost you customers. The other part of the problem is that if Apotheker truthfully answers the question with "I don't know and was unaware of the actions until after the fact" (not asserting it is true, but even if you assume it to be true to explore a particular legal avenue) once he has answered that question, he is compelled to answer any other question put to him by the Oracle attorneys. There might be other dirt on Apotheker that is largely irrelevant to the case or his performance as CEO of HP but which might slip into the public eye once he is on the stand.

The point of the SAP quote is that many people (SAP, HP, El Reg, and me) think Ellison is using the courts to intimidate HP because he doesn't like what they did to his golfing bud and not because of anything he actually did, or anything he knows. Granted right now I don't have a lot of respect for HP as a company, but I would like them to have the chance to once again become the company I once respected. I see no such option for Ellison and Oracle since Ellison IS Oracle, much like Jobs IS Mac.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

This is actually good news.

Darth Ellison having to go out hiring a private detective, that is. This means he has run out of evil apprentices to send.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ellison is a wanker

There now; we've answered the most important question.

6. JaitcH
    Alert

So if Apotheker ran a crooked enterprise, how come the US gave him a visa?

Ellison should acquire a 'friendly' senator to have an inquiry into whether Apotheker is an appropriate person to whom a visa should be issued.

At least they will be able to ascertain if Apotheker is in the US or not.

7. Chrispos
    Terminator

Matches Ellison's personal philosophy...

Way back in the late '80s I was working with Oracle software and was treated to a session with Oracle Australia's MD at the time. He said that he had adopted Larry Ellison's personal philosophy - "It is not enough that I am successful, all my competitors must fail".

Says it all really.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like