back to article French go after Google for brand grab

A flurry of French advertisers have written an open letter objecting to Google's practice of putting brand names up for auction. The statement, sent to newswires, said: "Google has crossed a line by taking the initiative this summer to launch a service that allows anyone to buy brand names as keywords to generate advertising …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ShaggyDoggy

LV

LV involved no surprise there

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And...

"This change brings our trademark policy in Europe into line with our policies across the rest of the world..." so that's OK then. Sorry!

Does it conflict with French or European law? Clearly not, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to do it would they?

What is not "for sale"? Anything Google hasn't thought of yet, I guess.

3. Velv
    Big Brother

And how long before.....

Google's advertising arm "bids" on the trademarks of Yahoo!, Bing, Amazon, Facebook, MySpace, etc

Call me cynical.

4. The First Dave

Money

All they are really objecting to is that now it is an open auction, and they will _all_ have to pay more to get their ads in front of punters, regardless of brand.

5. JaitcH
    WTF?

So much for Entente Cordial

I thought EU countries were supposed to go along with EU decisions.

Now the French have caught the Non! Non! disease again.

6. Tom 35

I don't see a problem

As long as bootlegs are not showing up in the ads, and the ads don't effect the search results I don't care what shows up in the ads.

Not surprised that the French are whining though.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google have been doing this in the UK for years...

...At least since 2008. I'm surprised its taken this long to happen in France. As for them "investigating" infringement claims, it usually goes along the lines of "we've investigated, we're not going to do anything about it, now FO" (If you get an answer at all). The only recourse is to chase the advertiser themselves, which will get you nowhere if they're based in China or Russia.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Similar to the common practice

of burying keywords in html pages...if you search for a file you get pages that load and add your word in to them from google search, like i got offered books on "nisan gearlever", amazon offering me their lates album, even facebook offering to find my friend "nissan gear lever"

search engines are not that anymore, they're just adverts with little relevance

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a case for ACS:Law

... whose web domain seems to be parked nowadays, BTW.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like