back to article Burglar cuffed after crime scene MySpace blunder

A Florida teen was arrested for burglary after he left himself logged into his MySpace account at the scene of the crime. According to multiple news accounts, a caretaker for a home on Sugarloaf Key called 911 on Sunday after seeing someone sitting on a couch inside the house. By the time police arrived, the home was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Says it all...

about the IQ of the average MySpace user...

2. asdf
    Unhappy

have pity

He could have very easily frozen to death in the tundra of Florida :P. Sadly the taxpayer will pay 40k a year to house another clueless non violent twit. Sad all around.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Charged with burglary?

Isn't there a crime "breaking and entering"? As far as the story reads, he "stole" a small amount of computer use, but left behind rather more.

But, um... Yeah. Go figure. Maybe this idea was the weed talking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Charged with burglary

You have been watching to many tv shows .

in the US you have 3 choices. Trespassing, Felony trespassing, burglary .

Now there are variation of burglary in some states such as burglary of an occupied dwelling , residential or commercial burglary. You also have in some states home invasion. Thats when an armed robber breaks in and ties your family up. .

2. Ross 7

Re: Burglary

Burglary is NOT stealing stuff. In England Burglary is trespassing within a building with the intent to commit theft, GBH, rape or criminal damage. In Florida it's even broader - trespassing within a building with the intent to commit a crime.

They can show he was there, so they only need to think about intent. Computer misuse and possession of a controlled substance are easy targets. If they want to go for a harder sentence then intent to commit theft (just ask the jury why he was there - would they trust him not to steal stuff in their homes if he broke in? He's clearly a junky after all!)

Why the downvote for the AC?

4. Kirbini
    Coat

go figure...

The hardliners won't spend 10 cents to give someone who needs it something to eat but they'll gladly throw someone in the slammer for $80k/year ($40k is way too low) because their sensibilities were offended.

USA ~= wankers.

I know, I live here.

Mine's the one with the permanent Canadian work visa in the pocket.

1. Notas Badoff
      Unhappy

lucky, eh?

Oooo, maybe I should try for one of those. They only let me look around the once or twice and kept sending me back.

"Canada: what the US would be like if it were civilised"

2. Charles Manning

In need of food money?

If the little toe rag had enough money to blow on weed, then surely he could have afforded food instead?

Assuming of course he didn't nick the weed. I expect the home owner would not have claimed the tyke stole his weed.

1. Magnus_Pym

Toe Rag?

He didn't say he was hungry. He said he was cold. I don't know how cold it gets on Sugarloaf key this time of year but weed has always been cheaper that accommodation.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Weed

Officer: And he left his backpack and weed.

Owner: Actually, officer, that- oh, err..., so he did. Tsh! Wasters

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Money for weed? Nah...

If he has any sense (which apparently he doesn't) he will have 'ticked' (acquired on a bye-now-pay-later arrangement) a fair quantity of the stuff with the intention of selling the majority to cover the base cost while smoking the proverbial profit.

Stoner 1-0-1...There is never a good reason to actually pay cash for your own weed...(apparently).

Anon. Coz after my pre-work/breakfast reefer this morning I'm feeling a little paranoid.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Depends

This kid sounds stupid enough to have been an end consumer. And everyone I know who ever dealt weed ended up smoking more than the free 8th per oz they shifted. It's hardly a high profit business until you're into shifting serious weight or running a factory.

Or so I'm told anyway. I'd clearly never have done anything like that, or even consorted with those who would.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

Correctamundo

A fair point well made.

It's been a long time since I was so far down that particular food chain. Damn I feel old. Thanks for that. :0)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What a nice idea

acquired on a "bye-now-pay-later" arrangement - is that where I say "bye, now" as I disappear with the goods, assuring you that I will pay later..?

3. peyton?
      Paris Hilton

80K?

not in 2009 apparently...

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/statsbrief/cost.html

5. Graham Marsden
    FAIL

Epic fail!

Title says it all!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

wow, that kid isn't too bright...

...Doesn't he know that nobody uses myspace anymore?

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

Becuase your average FaceBook Yoof...

...is probably too dim to know how to break in...

8. Danny 14

screwdrivers?

Im surprised he isnt up on a terrorism charge. Here in the UK he'd have been spotted on CCTV looking suspicious. Certainly enough to hold him without charge for a month. And screwdrivers are used by terrorists therefore a terrorist tool.

Good job this dangerous criminal has been locked up. (Plus anyone who uses their real name on the internet MUST be a terrorist).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the UK...

... the police don't show up for a report of burglary (unless you tell them you are going to look for the burglar armed with a kitchen knife). Normally, they'll send a scene of crimes officer around in after a few days who'll do some form filling and then they send you survey form to ask how you think the case was handled. Their best chance of meeting a burglar will be if they run him over on their way to the chippy or kebab shop. In the unlikely event that they do catch a burglar, they will remove his drugs and he will then either be cautioned and released or released on bail - and the odds are, the case will subsequently be dropped.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: In the UK...

I dunno - someone swiped my wallet from my flat in Camden and the cops came round the same day, to my surprise. To my even greater surprise, they caught the guy. They must have been bored. This was nearly ten years ago, so before the 'clean-up' of King's Cross shunted all the crack dealers and hookers a couple of tube stops north.

Bit embarrassing for the sake of £30 or however much it was (didn't get it back obviously). But the excellent thing was that he left a fag butt behind and they got him from the DNA from that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: In the UK...

the police don't show up for a report of burglary, unless you are a totally hot, fit young Beeing..

2. Andus McCoatover

Dunno either...

About 20 years ago, I was working from home. I had one of the old analogue phones (OKI, IIRC).

Anyway a mate who lived nearby phoned me because his girlfriend had had her car broken into, and stole her handbag. It contained evidence of her address, and her house keys. (Epic Fail #1)

She thought she'd report it to the police when she finished work. (Epic Fail #2).

She mentioned it to her then-boyfriend over a lunchtime phone-call, who realised immediately the danger, and called me.

I ran round to their house (in Leamington Spa) like a shot, mobile and camera in hand.

Door open.

Didn't go in, called the police with camera primed, in case they came out. I was behind a bush, they wouldn't have seen me.

Astoundingly, similarly to Sarah's experience, they were round in 5 minutes or less. I mentioned the "perps" may still be inside, so they told me to wait, as with batons drawn, they combed the house*.

Needless to say, I was too late, TV, Stereo etc. gone.

Also, a nice set of designer T-shirts, that the boyfriend had designed and - fortunately - photographed were taken.

Caught the 3 stupid buggers a day later, as they were prancing round Coventry (10 miles/15kM away) wearing them. All kit recovered.

* Maybe that's why they were quick - free "Baton Training Course 101 ?"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$80K per annum

They should bring back the birch and the stocks for these crimes.

1. Elmer Phud

Fail

The birches have all died off or been felled by palm oil producers.

Have you seen the price of stocks these days? - not worth a lot.

Biggest fail - leaving the weed behind.

Some of our UK correspondants seem to assume it is the more costly 'skunk' version instead of the usual bush. No self-respecting teen would leave decent weed behind.

10. DI_Wyman
    Pint

I guess...

.....the gene pool is pretty shallow on Sugarloaf Key!

11. Citizen Kaned

damn!

i wish someone would break in and leave me some weed.

12. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Cold? In Florida?

It's 75F here! He probably heard someone, got spooked and just hotfooted it, leaving himself logged in and all his stuff behind. Moron.

1. kain preacher

Snow

Florida has lots of snow. Just ask the DEA.

2. Andus McCoatover

What's 75F??

If it means fahrenheit , you're in the same boat as Libya. They use it as well, and I think (apart for some minor cities that call themselves countries (Vatican, Monaco, Rockall spring to mind - but they use Celsius)) so "F" is the only commonality between the two countries.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like