back to article Nexus One to get Gingerbread OS?

It seems that the venerable Nexus One might be the first phone to get Gingerbread, if tweets from the Open Handset Alliance are to be believed. The tweets come from 'Alliance member Alvaro Fuentes Vasquez, who appears to confirm that Gingerbread will be Android version 2.3 and will be available to developers using Nexus One …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Sensible if it does happen

The hardware is still pretty good and the phone is now only available to buy as a developer handset. Developers need hardware to test things, they also don't want to have to keep changing the hardware just for some real world testing.

2. Rob 30

gingerbread what?

that's lovely and all that, but what exactly will gingerbread do for my nexus if & when it turns up? froyo seems to be working quite nicely so far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But of course...

...it'll let it play Crysis!

3. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Of course it will hit the Nexus One first

That was the main advantage of this handset.

I suspect it will be one of the first to get Android 3.x too, Nexus Two or no Nexus Two. Google haven't yet released a version of Android that the older 500MHz handsets can't run so I don't think they'll release one any time soon that the 1GHz Nexus One can't.

After the debacle of all those pre-release firmwares of 2.2 it seems Google have learnt from the experience and kept this release close to their chests. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Bluetooth HID support and maybe the enabling of the Nexus' FM Radio ;-)

4. Rattus Rattus

Venerable?

A phone that's been out less than a year is venerable? What's a year-and-a-half old phone considered? Doddering?

Most people, most techies even, don't buy a new phone every three months even if tech media people do. Seems to me the Nexus One is still one of the most powerful phones on the market even if it's no longer THE most powerful.

All that aside, I look forward eagerly to Gingerbread, I can't wait to see what it brings to my phone.

5. Berio
    Boffin

Of course it will be on nexus one first

It's been launched less than a year ago and is still quite current hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like