back to article Windows 7 'I'm a PC' man quits Microsoft

Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” bloke is reportedly leaving the software maker. According to an email, seen by SeattlePI.com, Sean Siler has quit the company for personal reasons, after five years of service. “I have a lot of memories from my time at Microsoft, but the ‘I'm a PC’ commercial is the highlight. I really feel proud that I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why is it

Why is it that Microsoft ad's always come across like your parents trying to be hip?, I mean like "Welcome to the social" crap they did for the Zune.

Or the Vista and Windows 7 "party's", or it's something syrupy with a small kid drawing something to send to mommy.

They really need a younger PR team

1. Bear Features
      Thumb Up

yeah right...

a younger PR team to do what? Be like Apple who look like a bunch of San Francisco "happening" kids that are so far removed from reality that it's the best comedy ever.

2. Andy Enderby 1
      FAIL

a youthful pr team ?

What the hell ? In the name of god no ! The last thing they need is a bunch of bloody Nathan Barley look alikes.... If anything they're worse.

On the subject of Win 7, the only motivation it gave me was to club the creatives like a baby seal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Excellent!

Now if Microsoft would also retire the corresponding ad with Charline, the French-speaking chick pestering our TV screens here in the French-speaking part of Canada then I would gladly go out and buy Windows 7. Heck, it's one of the lamest advertising spots being displayed, leaving no doubt that Microsoft has no talent at all at advertising.

Those of you with a strong stomach can go watch it here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vmhs1lqyDI

It is so bad that even if you don't understand French at all, you can feel your belly aching.

1. Philippe
      WTF?

re:Excellent

You're right, this is even worst than any pathetic English speaking commercials I have seen.

She's hot and manage the feat of being a total turn off.

My week-end is ruined.

2. HighlightAll
      FAIL

Thought "intersting"

til she turned the laptop around for us to see. Poor girl. And at the other end of the jobbing actor spectrum you have Cannes winning films.

3. Red Dwarf
    Stop

Ridiculous

"I really feel proud that I was able to be a visible part of the company's fight against Apple" - why is Microsoft so afraid of Apple?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Highlight?

Not only that, but if *that* was his highlight of working there... then blimey... the rest of his time there must have been absolutely awful :/

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Possibly..

Possibly because the future of computing isn't a big box PC stuck on a desk plugged into the wall. Laptops have already taken the place of big boxes on desks.

Consumer electronics and mobile is where it's at.

1. Will Leamon

title

Yes I seriously look forward to working on hideously complex, nested After Effects projects on my mobile! That's going to be so much fun.

BAM. - WTF?

Ah hell, the guy down the hall just shot himself trying to design a car in CAD on his iPad. What went wrong?

2. CmdrX3
        Stop

Really?

Laptops have their place, but considering gaming is one of the major aspects of PC's and one in which 90% of laptops don't cut it I'd say there is a lot of life left in the desktop yet. I have five desktops and one laptop in my house, and the laptop is barely used other than as a backup or when on the move. My phone even sees more internet time than the laptop. They have their uses but they are not and will not be a replacement for a hell of a long time to come... if ever.

3. Bear Features
      Megaphone

well...

Microsoft were actually responding to Apple's little comedy adverts. Remember the ones? The adverts where they were uable to advertise their products without mentioning Microsoft. Oh and also they are so brilliant they went Intel and bent over backwards so we can install Windows on their 'magical' computers.

Seems like Apple have always been the scared ones. ;)

1. Charles Manning

Bootcamp is a great FUDbuster

Giving Macs the ability to run Windows is a great idea. Without this, the MS FUD machine could always say that Macs can't run "industry standard" software and you could risk buying a $2000 lemon.

Bootcamp provides a get out of jail card for those concerned about not being able to run Windows, Once people buy a Mac and find it can do what they need very few actually ever need to fire up Windows,

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

"It's not what you've got, it's how you use it" ... said the class hooker to the clueless bishop

No matter what device you may use/prefer, from the smallest vanity mobile handheld to the largest static strategic mainframe, are they just as so much dumb junk until connected to Global Information and IntelAIgents Grids. Only then do they become Alive, and can one Control and Power Driver the Future and Lead both Fate and Destiny in Networks InterNetworking JOINT Applications. And the one does so easily control the other, although I grant you, only whenever one knows what one is doing in those peculiar and particular, irregular and unconventional SMART Fields and Cyber Ranges.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You're slipping.

I actually understood that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I prefer this.

http://i54.tinypic.com/9ktqbc.gif

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Oh dear......

My Man Vag gapes at the thought.......

6. Philippe
    FAIL

I am a loser and Windows 7 was my idea,

nuff said..

1. Ainteenbooty

PCs sleep in the hallway...

While Macs conduct all-night anatomical study sessions with multiple partners in the dorm room.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

"IP v6 program manager"

If ever there was a Department of Special Projects job, akin to Yes Minister's Department of Administrative Affairs, that must be a prime candidate.

[And yes I do know what IPv6 is and why it's important, and have done for what feels like 20 years, and maybe in another 20 years there'll be more than 20 people interested in it ]

8. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

Penny for the Guy?

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

Azure Muscle Flexing Machinery

And now, Microsoft, what next .... for those Really Heavily into Cloud Outbursts and Reign Showers and Titanic Rains? Hi, .... I'm a PC Controller and AI Commander.

Steve Ballmer's secret weapon or the Missing Link in the MS Command of Control Chain? Drop that Pass, Steve, and you Lose ...... and take Uncle Sam down the Swannee with you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's better.

You had me worried there for a post.

10. FreeTard

I'm a fat bastard

and windows 7 was my idea.

I also have no talent nor taste in clothes.

11. demo
    FAIL

Life without walls?

You have to be kidding me.

Windows is the dam wall!

1. Ben 42

Even better

Apparently the MS marketing department hasn't heard that old staple of Microsoft-hating humor: "In a world without walls, who needs Windows?"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft advertising the wrong thing.

I agree with that commercial a lot, actually.

Thing is, it's advertising PCs, not Windows products.

I'm more fond of the former than the latter.

13. Mediocrates
    Coat

@ Anonymous Coward

"Now if Microsoft would also retire the corresponding ad with Charline, the French-speaking chick"

Clearly, you don't understand how profound this commercial is. Here we have Microsoft blaming Windows 7 on a woman in France!

The gaul, the unmitigated gaul....

1. LINCARD1000
      Pint

I really wish...

...I could buy you a beer, Sir and/or Madam.

Pure magic.

14. illiad

I'm Microsoft....

... and I have cornered the market, for my lovurly people who do not have a clue and will believe anything I say.... I put in the ground work years ago, now many companies are just trapped into using MS controls... it not just the browser you know!

I'm laughing all the way to the bank, who cares about adverts, my mate does that... I'm just putting one in the eye for apple etc.... and all those royalties from them, their users need XP to run their games!!!

linux??? where do you see it in stores??? All the big stores love to be in my 'partnership' and get cheap kit!!!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Is he?

Has he?

Linux?

16. Eugenian
    Linux

That is one man

will never, ever get laid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Welcome

Hey you can't talk

You sir have a Tux icon. At least this guy probably sees women from time to time.

Anyway, Microsoft PR seriously creeps me out. They're like machines poorly imitating humans.

"Hello my fellow meatbags! I hope you all enjoyed consuming your portions of organic matter at 0800 hours?" Come to think of it I think we should start putting MS news in the RoTM section.

17. Thomas 18
    Gates Halo

PC....

The Way It's Meant To Be Played

18. Smudge@mcr

Marketing fail

The Beatles "Money can't buy me love"

Microsoft " Money can't buy me cool"

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Wanted... ASAP.... for more Redmond Money than you can Spend ... Chill Dudes and Hot Chicks

"The Beatles "Money can't buy me love"

Microsoft " Money can't buy me cool"" .... Smudge@mcr Posted Sunday 7th November 2010 15:50 GMT

Oh yes it can, Smudge@mcr, although you have to find and employ/invest in and buy up the right fab vendor. And that is the MS Marketing fail.

19. Deadly_NZ
    FAIL

HEY WHAT THE

hell is going on I go to follow a link that looks like it's going to a related story and it sends me to linked in?? WTF is that ?? or is the Reg going into sly advertising??? Also why should i have to give details just to read a story?? fark that

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HEY WHAT THE

This is a link to the subject's Linkedin bio - not to another story.

20. P. Lee

Why is MS afraid of Apple?

Because if you know you can live without Windows at home, you might consider not buying windows at work.

21. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Ads, urgh!

MS ad's are always so "BLARGH! BUY MS! BUY MS OR PEOPLE WILL DIE!! DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! BUY MS OR YOU WILL NEVER SCORE AGAIN!! ARGHH! BUY! BUY! BUY MS!!! NOW!!!".

Apple ad's look like they just can't be arsed to make any real effort! Smug, coffee house, khaki-wearing dingbats banging on about the cult, all so smug about their "cool" factor! Just like those awful ambiguous and very annoying perfume ad's that only come on TV at Christmas!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Ads, urgh!

Yeah, but I'd rather be Keira Knightley than the Cillit Bang man.

1. The Beer Monster
        WTF?

Indeed...

If a woman walked up to me and said "Hi, I'm Keira Knightley" I'd be taking an interest.

If a woman walked up to me and said "Hi, I'm Barry Scott", I'd be taking the nearest exit.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Intention. A tricky thing.

Yes I'd rather be Keira Knightley than Neil Burgess aka Barry Scott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Burgess) but what you're saying - in the context of your reply to someone who doesn't like the adverts for PC or Macs - is that you'd rather be a computer.

Is that really what you intended?

Re: Intention. A tricky thing.

I'm not really literal-minded enough to talk to most of the people here.

No, it isn't. It was one of those flippant throwaway kind of remarks.

Sigh.

3. corrodedmonkee

barry scott

I take it you haven't seen the Barry Scott techno remix of the Cillit Bang advert.

Legendary.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Sarah

But you do look like Keira Knightley?????

Re: @Sarah

No.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

True

Other than the fact that you both appear to be brunettes (well Kiera at times anyway). A simple google answered the question anyway. So why do you want to look like Keira ?

22. Ascylto
    Big Brother

And to think ...

they actually paid this guy money.

Your money.

23. Waderider
    Stop

Windows 7 versus my computer.........

There's an 'I'm a P.C.' on U.K. television at the moment where the feature they are pushing is the ability to watch a record television.

This is very annoying as it has motivated my parents in law to question me why they can't record television on their netbook. They think I'm lying too them about needing extra hardware and probably more processing power......who is right, son in law or the omnipresent MS?

Besides, the ad is bloody lame when I'm sitting here with a free (in every sense) Mythtv home media setup - that can stream to a netbook successfully. A bit jittery in fast moving action - but the wife doesn't notice, which is all that matters.

Oh, agreed, appalling ads. Will this company die please and let P.C.'s and O.S.'s start to evolve again?

24. /dev/null
    Thumb Down

Always hated the "I'm a PC" campaign

It only made any kind of sense in relation to Apple's Mac campaign, and even in that context it was rubbish. I really can't see how random "everyday" characters shouting "I'm a PC and this was my idea" was suppose to promote Windows. No you're not, you're just some random PC user and you have absolutely no idea how your PC works (or doesn't as the case may be).

1. Tom 13

Yep, they all reminded me of badly acted 70s sitcoms.

And its even worse than them being a random PC user with absolutely no idea how their PC works, they're actually even more clueless actors/actresses portraying computer users who have no idea how your PC works.

Hell, I fix them, and these days I'm not sure I know how the damn things work.

25. illiad

Waderider: no, peeps are too dumb....

your Mythtv home media does not look like a PC to them... and I think if they know enough about PCs, they would not say that??? wish you luck showing them how to stream.....

The point about MS ads, is that it IS possible, BUT they leave out the bit about needing the very latest multi-core, mega-graphic card, HUGE memory & HD PC..... AND the big expensive software to run all that... and the time learning how to do it!!

simple explanation... recording TV on their netbook is like using a 'smartcar' to drive up a very steep hill, dragging a heavy trailer...

note the Smartcar has a 68-horsepower engine, driven by a battery good for only 20 miles.. Great for going about town, but not much else...

where a 'jeep-type' car can do much more, see link...

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/can-a-touareg-really-climb-a-45-incline-46611.html

and NO, there are too many suckers about, that believe MS... :( :(

26. rkoziol7

The end

I think the end of Microsoft is near. OS like Ubuntu is so user friendly now - and it is getting even better with every release. And it is free.

27. illiad

rkoziol7: nope, there are too many idiots...

even if by some miracle shops actually sold *every* PC with linux AND windows on it, windows *still* does more for them... Its a pity, but 80% of the buyers have **no clue** except they want 'an internet'....

sorry mate, but.... can you 'just install' the latest MSoffice on it???

28. rkoziol7

OS with a browser only

Maybe it would be interesting to develop an OS which would consist of browser only? (and some graphical drivers of course to view more advanced websites).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like