back to article Apple to triple iTunes song sample length

Apple's CD-crushing, music industry–transforming iTunes music store will triple the length of many of its song samples from 30 to 90 seconds. This move, which has been rumored for weeks, was first reported by the Symphonic Distribution blog on Tuesday, then confirmed by Cnet that evening. The change was announced in a "Dear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tigra 07
    Unhappy

Good job i don't use itunes

Im guessing you won't get to hear 90 seconds of Mad House - Rihanna since it's a patheticly short song at just 50 seconds.

I'm ashamed to have got that on an album at full price, the only thing worse would be paying for it on itunes to see that you only get an extra 20 seconds after paying.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Good job i don't use itunes

But R'n'B albums are usually at least 15 tracks long. Nothing wrong with a bit of something short in the midst of it.

I mean c'mon. I'd rather listen to (and indeed pay for) a 50-second song by Rihanna than an eight-minute one by Meat Loaf. If we measured song quality by duration then Meat Loaf would be more lauded than Johnny Cash.

1. David David David David (formerly David 22)

There's no accounting for taste.

Who is this Rihanna of whom you speak any way?

2. Tigra 07
        Badgers

RE: Sarah Bee

Rated R had 13, including many that are dreadful and 1 which is decent but only 50 seconds long (Mad House).

Listening to Depeche Mode last night and you would need longer than 30 seconds on each to tell if it was a good song, most weren't.

I just think music cds should have a certain quality to them for the price, Rihanna's wasn't worthy of full price and with reference to Meatloaf, the only song of his i have heard and enjoyed is from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.(Hot Patootie i think)

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Wait for it....

Freetard response in 3..2..1...

"Still not long enough to make a decision on ( insert name of horrendous 35 minute Prog-Rock fretboard-wankfest ), I want to hear the whole thing in 7:1 surround sound FLAC format, before I buy it! So I will still rip it off from XYZ torrent site!"

3. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Tubular Bells? A Passion Play? Thick as a Brick?

I like my 35 minute Prog-Rock fretboard-wankfests...

4. ShaggyDoggy

OFAP

Who the hell is Rihanna ?

And what's with this Meatloaf dissing ?

5. A 31

no need to buy anymore then :)

Since twitter, facebook, short blogs and no more reading books, my attention span is reduced to 14.8 seconds, this will do nicely !!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(contemporary) classical music

90sec preview of tracks > 2'30 is an excellent idea as I'm sure many people will not have been able to grasp the full depth of John Cage's 4'33 from the initial 30secs thus I'd assume that this move will greatly boost its download potential (though, on the other hand, it may be that sales are hindered by the way the compression algorithms will affect the overall sound)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who previews stuff on iTunes anyway?

If I want to preview a track, I look on YouTube. If I decide I like it, I'll buy it off iTunes.

Full length track preview vs 30(90) seconds seems pretty clear to me.

8. Bill B
    Megaphone

Spotify

I still use ad supported Spotify to find out if I like a track. No idea why iTunes doesn't allow the same listening model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like