back to article Samsung: we'll sell a million-plus Android tablets this year

Samsung expects to sell more than a million Galaxy Tabs this year, the Korean giant said today. The Tab, a 7in tablet running Android 2.2 and featuring Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS technology, went on sale im Europe and Asia at the start of this week. Samsung Galaxy Tab Samsung launched the Tab in Korea this morning. At the launch, JK …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. flameresistant
    Joke

Bold prediction?

When can Samsung chalk it up as a sale? When it goes to the inventory of a retail outlet/carrier or when it is purchased by a consumer from that retail outlet?

If the former then I can see how Samsung might have already cut enough deals with their global channel to be fairly confident about that 1 million unit number which is a very bullish prediction. It would put their pro-rata market share at over 17% even if the market doubled this quarter to 8.8 million units.

Whether or not there will be loads left on the shelves after Christmas is another matter entirely.

Anyone seen someone using one in public yet?

2. GettinSadda
    WTF?

I don't get it

I just don't get it.

This 7inch Android tablet costs the same as a 16GB 3G iPad, and Samsung think that they will be flying off the shelves?

3. Tigra 07
    Pint

No title required

They'll overshoot a million sales easily

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

That's surprising...

Where I live I am now seeing the first wave of people looking into iPads. Most of them either realy get it, and one, and all the others think it's just an expensive toy. I can't imagine that enough people would be willing to part with the extortionate amount of dosh Samsung is asking to come up to a million units sold. Sold, mind you, not just stuffed into the sales channel.

5. Rogerborg
    FAIL

Costs as much as an iPad

Smaller screen, but still too big for a pocket, you'll be thrown out of Starbucks for using one... no wonder the marketdroid could only bring itself to say demand is "quite good" - surely droidspeak for "ZOMFG are Apple recruiting?"

1. JaitcH
      Jobs Horns

Re: Costs as much as an iPad

Even if it did, discounts haven't been announced yet by retailers, this unit still has more features than Jobs' toy.

You'll have to buy next years Apple offering to get what most other pads are offering this year. That's how Jobs' keeps the money coming in as well as charging for OS upgrades.

6. h4rm0ny

I'd love one...

...if the price was remotely sane! I'm used to Apple adding a marketing tax to the price of their products, but that doesn't mean everyone else should charge such massive amounts. Which reminds me, isn't the HP Slate Windows 7 tablet supposed to be out by now? Why is this a two-horse race?

7. damian Kelly
    Badgers

iPad, iPhone == Mactintosh V2

Is this the beginning of the same thing that happened last time Apple had a killer product? In 10 years time will Apple be selling 5 - 10% of the smart phone/tablet machines and we all ask ourselves how they threw away their dominance again?

I think they will, sure their products will always be much better than Android and they will charge proportionally but Android doesnt have to be as good as iOS just a good enough price/functionality ratio that the additional price for the Apple device is not worth it.....

Badgers because my Uncle was the first person to deploy this road sign.

1. GettinSadda
      FAIL

Price!

"Android doesnt have to be as good as iOS just a good enough price/functionality ratio that the additional price for the Apple device is not worth it....."

This tablet is the same price as a 3G iPad

8. Paul Bruneau
    FAIL

Innovation

How did they ever come up with that revolutionary design!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Innovation

>How did they ever come up with that revolutionary design!?

Ripping off Viewsonic, same as most Tablets of the past 10 years.....all a bit boring. The only one that really caught my imagination was the now never to be Microsoft bookish offering.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I hope they sell..

i bought one, having previously bought an iPad.

First impressions are that the hardware's very nice, the size is right (i don't get aching arms from holding it like i do with the iPad), but the UI still lacks the polish of the iPad (i still can't bring myself to call it IOS - that's what switches and routers run on).

I really hope they give Apple a bloody nose, but it's a distant hope.

I suspect that they'll count initial sales, but not the returned volume in their overall predictions.

then again, if this is your first tablet experience then maybe you won't be returning....??

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might just be a hit..

But not if Samsung continue breaking promises like with the Galaxy S and Froyo.

That said, I think this device is going to be in trouble before it hits the door.. at that price, why not just buy an iPad, root and install Android??

11. JaitcH
    Heart

We need The Registers assistance in sorting out this plethora of pads

With the ever increasing count of pads/tablets, The Reg would really help if it had a chart comparing all the attributes of these devices so we can make informed buying decisions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like