back to article Orange intros MiFi gadget, refreshes mobile data deals

Orange has rejigged its mobile broadband offerings. It has also introduced a Wi-Fi modem for punters who want to share an HSDPA 3G link among several gadgets. The modem is the Novatel Wireless 3352, a new model that launches today. It can share the 7.2Mb/s HSDPA connection between five devices. It also contains a Micro SD card …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justin Clements

Three

Someone needs to tell them that you can more or less buy the same device at Three for £50 without a contract.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wi-Fi access

"the extra fiver gets you unlimited BT Openzone Wi-Fi access - surely unnecessary when you have a 3G-connected Wi-Fi gadget?"

You've obviously never tried using Orange's 3G network. Orange state they have the "most 3G coverage", but unfortunately it would seem they don't have "the most capacity". For example, can have full 3G signal strength, but can take minutes (if at all) to download a small 5 word email.

Phoned the Orange customer services about the inability to access data on their network and their response was

"Orange has the largest 3G coverage"

followed by

"Try turning off the 3G on your phone"

Nice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great

Now could Orange perhaps provide a working data network?

4. Anonymous John

Poor value.

Three give you 15GB for £15pm with their Huawei MiFi thingie. And it's only £49.99 pay as you go.

5. Parax
    FAIL

Data Device

requires a Data Network that works.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I have a Data sharing Wifi Device...

Its called an HTC Desire. (bought before the contracts were cropped) from a generic retailer (rhymes with hard bone ware-cows) with generic HTC firmware including the wifi tether.

Why would I want to pay more charge a second device and get a second contract??

7. Alex Walsh

Another vote for 3

Their Mifi is cheaper, has a better PAYG deal and is on a better data network. I was getting 6Mb/s out of mine at a service station on Monday.

8. Tom Chiverton 1

Ummm

"unnecessary when you have a 3G-connected Wi-Fi gadget?"

Are you telling me that thing is battery powered, and able to last a while without being plugged in then ?

1. Anonymous John

Yes.

A removable battery that lasts up to 4 hours. Much the same as Three's gadget.

9. Skrrp
    Thumb Down

Up to 5 devices?

Amateurs. I can connect unlimited* to my phone in tether mode.

*address space allowing.

10. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

'ow much Gggrrranville?

15 beer tokens for a GB, and you have to pay for the gadget too?

Do these people think I am MADE of money?

11. Diccon
    FAIL

They don't get it.

Orange data deals are such crap - as pointed out above, you get 15x the data for same money from 3

That's 1500% better (for any Apprentice candidates reading).

12. Rob Davis
    Stop

Joikuspot - turn your 'phone into a secure WiFi access spot

...mainly for Nokia Symbian series 60 3rd Edition Wifi Capable 'phones and above.

So instead of this MiFi, do this:

- Get a Nokia Symbian Series 60 3rd Edition Wifi 3G capable phone: e.g. the N82, N95 etc - perhaps around 60 to 80 quid or so off ebay

- Get Joikuspot software - cheap around 10 quid or so - turns your phone into a secure Wifi hotspot

- Use your data allowance with your usual main phone operator to operate this 'phone as a MiFi

OK the initial outlay isn't as cheap BUT:

- You use your existing data allowance - no extra pay as you go that has limited expiry time - simpler (only one account to manage) and cheaper in long run

- One less extra device to carry around if you use it as your main phone

- Some operators text you when approaching your monthly usage allowance, warning that standard charges will apply

- You get a *phone* with a reasonable camera and with N82 a proper flash

My suggestion may suit some - just like to make you aware. My suggestion with Joikuspot only provides ad-hoc wifi with WEP security - which is fine for general internet for most laptops, ipod touch's etc but some may require Wifi infrastructure mode - not currently supported by Symbian.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like