back to article NASA Mars rover leaves moist skidmarks in boggy struggle

NASA's famed Mars rover Spirit, snared and immobile since last year - and, it is feared, never to be heard from again following its current deep hibernation through the Martian winter - may in fact be bogged down in an actual, watery (ish) bog. Mosaic of images showing Mars dirt churned up by the Spirit rover. Credit: NASA/JPL …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian K
    Alert

If only...

...there was some sort of web-based cartoon describing the tragedy of Spirit's plight.

Perhaps xkcd will do one at some point.

1. K. Adams
      Pint

Rest Now, Spirit, You've Earned It...

Already done, some time ago:

-- http://xkcd.com/695/

"You've done more than you were ever asked, or expected. Go and rest, now, you've earned it..."

(I'll raise a mug at Spirit's wake, whenever that day comes.)

2. Crazy Operations Guy
      Go

Already exists

http://www.xkcd.com/695/

On a side note, I would like to point out that this is what happens when you don't out-source. May be expensive but will last long past its expected lifetime.

Excuse me while I head off to work in my 1974 Ford, that I've been driving _since_ 1974.

2. daka
    Black Helicopters

What a trooper

We should keep a watchful eye on it, so when the time comes we can beam it back to take pride of place in the Mars museum.

3. AlistairJ
    Thumb Up

Fear not

Spirit will remain there long after we, our civilization and all the remnants of our species have long gone.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Boffin

I have a more positive outlook...

If we manage to leave this cradle we call earth and explore the solar system in person, we should bring both the rovers and the Viking landers back to earth for inclusion in a museum.

Seeing the stars via camera and telepresense/autonomous robots is one thing; seeing it in person is something I would love to see our children and grandchildren _do_.

4. Pete 8
    Thumb Up

That is

if the Martians dont mind.

I wonder what aMFm would say?.

How would we treat 'visitors' and their kit?

How would we like to be treated as visitors?

Maybe the boffinz should be focusing on getting help from the Martians.

Giz a push guvnah!

5. Tim Jenkins

The usual excuse will suffice

"wrong kind of (red) snow", obviously...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

I knew there was life on Mars.

Now they have finally discovered a puddle of Yeti piss I can break out the "I told you so" T-shirts and take off this tin-foil hat.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live long....

Every year i check back on this and Im still amazed that both those wee bots are still alive and kicking, all be it in a reduced capacity, another one to check on is the voyager space craft, I belive one of them is about to leave our solar system, assuming it survives, it will be the first man made object thats still transmitting to enter inter stella space

This topic is closed for new posts.