back to article Windows 7 fans hold hands out for Halloween service pack fun

Windows fans at a loss for what to do over the Halloween weekend can indulge themselves with the first release candidate of the Windows 7 service pack. Not that we're suggesting the RC is some kind of horror fest - although installation times appear to be a tad longer than some fans anticipated. Microsoft slipped out SP1 RC1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bardlee
    WTF?

Well duh.

That guy is complaining it's slow on a system that is barely over minimum specs and has less power than my sub $200 netbook.

Thankfully I work in IT for a living and deal with this idiocy daily.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Netbook?

I'd be surprised if any netbook for $200 benched quicker than Athlon 64 3000+

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Read On Macduff

"Installing the SP1 RC on my 64-bit Win7 Pro box. It has an i7-920 @ 4.2ghz, 6GB DDR3, and 4x250GB Enterprise SATA drives in RAID10. During the install I have 3GB of available RAM and CPU usage never spikes above 30%. *EDIT* The install still took almost an hour even on this new hardware. =("

I work in pharmaceutical research and have to deal with idiots in IT everyday.

2. JB

Lucky dip

I hope the coming service pack will cure the lottery I go through every time I boot up my machine, you never know which error message, random restart or white screen will appear next! Also, how about a solution that automatically connects to the network, please, having to connect manually every time I turn my computer on takes me back to the dark days of dial-up!

1. Brian 6

@JB

You obviously have problems that are nothing to do with windows 7. And I dont know anyone else whose window 7 based system doesn't connect to there preferred network on boot.

1. foxyshadis

I have that problem

But it's because the RealTek gigabit card I bought is a complete piece of junk. It overheated after being on for a few weeks once (note, my system isn't overclocked and temps are always fine), and since then it sometimes shows up for an hour after booting, but it's always gone by then. I'm stuck on the 100mbps onboard again - kind of pointless upgrading to a gigabit router now.

If you have a realtek card or onboard NIC, get rid of it.

I guess I'll have to pry a crowbar in my wallet and get a server-level card, even though I don't want 90% of the features.

3. thecakeis(not)alie

SP1

At least it's on time. I hope it doesn't screw up legitimate OEM COA Stickered installs like KB971033 did. Not many, admittedly...but I have discovered that KB971033 does not like to be ghosted to a new drive. (Why that is, I don't know; I didn't think "new hard drive" triggered the activation alarms.) Apparently it also freaks out if you install Office 2010 and the activation servers are down; both Windows and Office implode and demand satisfaction.

Come on MS…here’s hoping SP1 has a WGA update that makes it punish actual pirates instead of legitimate paying customers!

4. Big-nosed Pengie
    Gates Horns

Windows 7 has fans?

The things you learn.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

And what of the Black Hole Update

KB976902 I'm referring to. Description says it's there to pave the way for future updates, but looking like another anti-piracy measure. Not that I'm complaining, MS can do whatever it likes to its OS, after all they merely grant the end user a license to use it. If the update can cause problems for people using imaging tools, MS should warn folks of the true nature of this update.

6. kain preacher

KB976902

Updates to the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 installation software are included in this update. The installation software is the component that handles the installation and the removal of software updates, language packs, optional Windows features, and service packs. This update is necessary to successfully install and to remove any service packs to all versions of Windows 7 and on Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976902

no black hole update .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

Took them long enough to explain 976902 tho

I have had this update since early last week, and for days I could not find a description for it, and eventually just gave up on looking.

Satan Gates. Because of the confusion that caused in the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like