back to article Israel to join list of 'adequate' data protection nations

Israel will become just the seventh country to have its data protection laws approved by the European Union. The approval means that companies can transfer personal data to that country freely, without breaking EU law. Uruguay's application for the same treatment has been backed by a technical committee but still requires …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great Data Protection

Great data protection bar that whole stealing peoples passports and using them for assasination operations.

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

So now the Mossad can use any Euro citizen data?

Mossad, and therefore Israel, has repeatedly shown contempt for other nations citizens by using passports from a number of Euro nations as well as Canadian and U.S. passports whilst going around the world murdering people.

What sureties does the EU have that this will not happen again enhanced by the broader range of data now made accessible.

Do the EU citizens have a veto right to stop any data on themselves being passed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm sure it's going to be all right

After the Dubai murders, the Israeli government promised never to copy the passports of friendly nations ever again.

Just like they promised never to copy the passports of friendly nations ever again in 1987 - after Mossad was caught copying British passports.

2. amehaye
      Paris Hilton

Murder

I do not know if the Mossad is responsible for the assassination of Mabhuh. I wish they are. The guy earned it rightfully. I know from the comments here that Israeli blood is cheap in your eyes, so you might not care. But Mabhuh is responsible for kidnapping and murdering Israeli soldiers, among other acts of terrorism.

You condemn Israel for protecting itself. Maybe it makes you feel morally superior. Maybe you even think that you will not suffer from acts of terrorism. Live in your blissful ignorance as long as you can, because it does not really matter whether Israel exists or not. Sooner or later the fundamentalist Islam will come-a-knocking on your door. By then it will already be too late.

It is really easy to be all left winged and liberal when the matters affect somebody-else-life. I wonder how long you will remain in your attitude when the guys you love so much show you their true colors. It would have been funny, had it not been so sad.

Paris, because after all, she is smarter than some of you guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

If we reacted to terrorism like you guys do

We would have razed Ireland to rubble during the 70's and 80's. And we have suffered plenty of Islamic terrorism too, like the London bus incidents. So don't come telling us that we have never experienced terrorism and that we would behave like you if we did. We have, and we dont. As for morals, tell that to all the civilians affected by your illegal use of white phosphorous.

2. Anon E Mus

This again?

"You condemn Israel for protecting itself. Maybe it makes you feel morally superior. Maybe you even think that you will not suffer from acts of terrorism. Live in your blissful ignorance as long as you can, because it does not really matter whether Israel exists or not. Sooner or later the fundamentalist Islam will come-a-knocking on your door. By then it will already be too late."

FFS. The victim script was old before I was even born. Why do you continue to read from it. Israel is an aggro psycho nation who's problems ultimately stem from it's utterly stupid choice of location. I'll admit that the other side is aggro psycho too. Neither deserves sympathy. However, as certain western governments seem more supportive of Israel, it is more frequently targeted for criticism.

3. Chad H.
        Grenade

@ Amehaye

Israel defending itself, and Isreal commiting Indenty fraud are two very different issues. I don't care who's fighting what evil, a crime in the name of good is just as evil as if it were in the name of evil.

After all, the Japanese interment camps in the US during WW2 were for "the Good of everyone".

4. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Murder

"You condemn Israel for protecting itself. Maybe it makes you feel morally superior."

No, we condemn Israel for conducting illegal acts. Even if Mabhuh had been a baby-eating demon from the nether regions of hell's sub-basement level, Israel lost the moral high-ground when they nicked other people's passports.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

RE: Re: Murder

"....we condemn...." Who's this "we", sunshine? I personally have zero problem with a Hamas terrorist being assassinated, in fact I'm happy there's one less potential threat around for my next trip to the Mid-East. Sure, I would have preferred it if he'd been arrested, put on trial and locked up for the rest of his life, but I'm not going to cry any tears because a self-confessed murdered (oh, sorry, I presume you think of him as a "freedom fighter"?) got what was coming to him.

".....Even if Mabhuh had been a baby-eating demon from the nether regions of hell's sub-basement level, Israel lost the moral high-ground when they nicked other people's passports....." Hmmmm, so in your mind, whatever crimes Madboob committed pale into insignificance because the Israelis may have copied a few passports? Did you forget that Madboob was travelling on a fake Syrian passport (but probably with Syria's knowledge and consent - they also like Israelis getting killed)? I'm going to have to suggest that you really should spend a lot more time reading up on what Madboob (and his Hamas chums) did (and still do), just so you may come close to understanding of why Israel would want to kill him (here's a clue - it wasn't 'cos he had overdue library books, it was because he killed Israeli civillians). But I suspect that the real problem is that your "sources" of information are so limited - probably intentionally so - that you have fallen into the mindset that Madboobs crimes don't matter because they only targeted Israelis, and the Israelis can be blamed for everyhting because they "stole Palestine", right? In short, because you are completely clueless about the history of either the Mid-East, Hamas or the Jewish people.

3. TimNevins

Carl Cameron

Carl Cameron's 4 Part Series on YouTube.

That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Bonkers!

"Israel's inclusion on the list was opposed by Ireland in the aftermath of the use of eight Irish passports in an assassination carried out in Dubai"

Too bloody right. What next? Sending our personal data to North Korea? China maybe? Both good stalwarts and supporters of personal privacy.

I hope all EU companies will be obliged to divulge if they are sending my information to Israel so that I can choose not to have anything to do with them.

5. serendipity

Its The Cloud init!

You've no control over your apps, they can be changed on a whim and you've no say on where your data might end up!!!

6. dazmo
    Stop

Israel - great country - appalling government(s)

Having been to Israel a few times I love the weather, food, ancient history and have met many wonderful citizens (both Israeli and Palestinian - Jewish, Muslim and Christian) etc., but apart from perhaps the likes of North Korea or the Soviet Union (at its worst) there has never been a "democratic" state so dedicated to every facet of fascism. From being victims (thinking not just of WWII but all the persecution across Europe), their governments (ok perhaps more their military and intelligence communities) have become that which it should have been impossible to even imagine - every bit as bad as their European tormentors of the 30s/40s. A sort of freakish Stockholm syndrome situation. I wish ALL the people of that country well, but the MUST call their government to heel, just like people in many other countries - including my own Ireland. Governments need to remember who they serve - the people and not the other way around.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Information and choice

Views vary about Israel.

Let people know in advance if you are going to send their information outside the EC - either directly or via subcontract. Make the provision of information about where the information is to be sent if outside the EC a *legal requirement* -i.e. not simply a catch all that it will be sent outside but a requirement to state *where*.

Then, if I'm pro Israel I won't care. If I'm anti Israel, or anti-Pakistan etc. I can make a choice.

At the moment, non-disclosure means I don't know where the information is going and I don't have a choice.

On this decision, we all know that Mossad will get all the information and pass it on to the USA if they require it. The EU are muppets.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Personal Data not respected

Not happy at all about EU personal data being allowed into a State with a dubious record of accountability as well as that State having an extremely well funded secret-service.

This is terrible news for EU citizens.

9. Graham 25
    Thumb Down

Completely safe...

unless you have the most popular name in the UK in 2009 according to the recent survey http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/oct/29/mohammed-name-baby-popular

10. Steven Jones

Oh dear...

I think you can safely say that no private data sent to an Israeli company for processing can be guaranteed safe from access by state security. Of course that might well be true for many other countries as well, but as there have been proven examples of the Israeli government producing counterfeit passports (which the promised Margaret Thatcher they would never do again, but which they seem to have reneged on), then I suspect there will cause a lot of disquiet.

I'm waiting to see whether the EU will approve the data protection laws of any Moslem countries. One suspect that there will be howls of outrage if that ever happens.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

They already have it

Anyones personal data which has ever passed through an Israeli built software sytem has already been cyphoned off and sent to Mossad.

Im paranoid? I wish I was. Its common knowledge in some industries that their systems are riddled with prepackaged worms.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See

And all this time there was nothing to fear about the US having the data.

13. Tom Samplonius
    Go

Dubai murder?

No one was every caught or even identified after the Dubai murders, so associating this with Mossad is pretty preliminary at best.

Most strange, is that two of the assassins left Dubai on flights to Iran. Iran is suspicious of all foreigners, particularly ones from western countries. Iran imprisons foreign hikers on their borders for months. But for some reason two western foreigners coming on a flight from Dubai just disappeared, and Iran's has no idea where they went. Normally, the capture of foreign spies would be cause for a huge media campaign.

And while Mossad is often spoken of as being the ultimate murdering bad asses, most people forget that Mossad supplied F16 parts to Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. So while the current gov't leaders in Iran might get a lot of lift in the polls with their anti-Isreal rhetoric, the reality is that the Mossad has an understanding with the Iranian military.

So the Mossad may have killed this guy, but Iran probably sanctioned it. Iran has a big probably with terrorism as well, and perhaps this guy was supplying weapons or explosives to them as well.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Reality?

Au contraire. I just read that little lot to mean that you don't need to be a bleedin' genius in the intelligence community to keep a pack of kneejerk, theocratic idiots dancing to your tune and at each other's throats.

I'm sure that there is an "understanding" there, I just think it's not mutual and revolves more around Mossad knowing which strings to pull and when to pull 'em.

14. Is it me?

Interesting

How little of this relates to IT.

Also interesting is the fact that various bits of UK Gov rabidly avoid Israeli written software because it's thought to have "Remote Administration" features. But it's OK to have our data "Remotely Administered" Hmmm.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

RE: Interesting

"How little of this relates to IT....." Erm, did you miss that bit about DATA transfer? Yes, it's all about electronic transfer of peronal details outside the country of origin, which is of big ineterest to anyone in the UK industry as we have to comply to data protection laws (and spend shedloads annually on hardware, software and lawyers to make sure we're doing it right).

"....various bits of UK Gov rabidly avoid Israeli written software because it's thought to have "Remote Administration" features...." Actually, large amounts of Israeli software are used throughout the MoD and other UK ministries, but only after the SAME checks as are applied to software from any non-NATO country. For example, a few years back when I was contracting we ended up having to scrap a project because part of the code was written in India and the UK goverment insisted on seeing the source, which the Indian company would not supply. You imply that the reluctance to trust Israeli software is unique when it is actually the norm for any non-NATO country.

What you should be much more worried about is that outsourcing in UK councils has already seen millions of personal records sent abroad to countries like India, which definately do not operate even close to the right level of data protection. Try taking off the anti-Israeli blinkers and doing a littel original thinking.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like