back to article Google Apps get Android admin tools

Google will soon roll out tools that let Google Apps shops lord over employees' Android handsets that tap into the web-based business app suite. The tools will work with any Android 2.2 ("Froyo") device. "Now any employee with an Android device running version 2.2 — personal or company-issued — can access their corporate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thecakeis(not)alie

Google enters the MDM space.

Hmm. There will be a few MDM companies out there who have put a lot of time into Android that will nto be pleased with this. Will be interesting to watch...

1. ElNumbre
      WTF?

No surprises...

To be fair, its not as though its any kind of surprise that big G would roll this out. Its one of the major problems with the Android platform compared to WinMo 6.5/Blackberry and even iOS is that there is no remote kill/lockdown functionality natively available. Google HAVE to put this functionality in to sell to more corporates, and OS native code is a far better argument than an additional piece of software which could be uninstalled from the device locally, leaving the data intact.

I just hope they roll this out to non-corp users.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

erm

"Via a web browser, admins will be able to remotely wipe data from lost or stolen devices, lock devices after a period of inactivity, require phone passwords, and set various password rules."

Pretty sure my company can (and does) already do this via e-mail on my android phone?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

great

now clueless admins who cant manage my desktop platform or email system can now fsck my mobile phone too? brilliant. I'll now be able to get no work done..... i can just imagine it...right in middle of important conference call 'your Android device is being patched and will reboot in 60 seconds'

(yes, I know this should be great - especially for PCI compliance and will get Android into many more places...its just it relies on the admins....which is not always a good thing :-( )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Grr clueless users!

"i can just imagine it...right in middle of important conference call 'your Android device is being patched and will reboot in 60 seconds'"

You imagine wrong. The only Android "patch" that would require a restart is a firmware update and that is unlikely to come from your IT services dept.

2. Tigra 07
      FAIL

RE: AC

"now clueless admins who cant manage my desktop platform or email system can now fsck my mobile phone too?"

If they can "fsck" with your phone then it isn't your phone, it's a work phone.

4. Obvious Robert
    Thumb Up

"Froyo Eyes Only"

Oh, very good play there!

*applause*

5. umacf24

Secure Hardware

How does this (or competing systems like Good) work without key storage hardware as part of the platform? If it's on your handset it's on your handset.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like