back to article LOST Vulture One PARIS spaceplane FOUND!!!

The Register's epic Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) project ended in glorious triumph this afternoon as our Spanish ground pursuit team finally discovered the landing site of Vulture One, the cutting edge stationery spacecraft piloted by our intrepid playmonaut. Following a nail-biting few hours in which Vulture One …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lottie
    Pint

Hooray!

Congratulations on finding it!

Now I can get on with some work instead of updating the Reg homepage every couple of mins.

2. Adrian Challinor
    Paris Hilton

Yippppeeeeeee

Well done all concerned. This is a major step forward for playmonauts through out the world.

And now the words we have all been waiting for: PARIS - higher than a kite!

Congrats all round.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

appallingly successful.....

I love that phrase!

On a personal note I'd just like to say that you are all completely barking mad

1. Darryl
      Thumb Up

me too

I'm adopting that phrase for use in case something I'm involved in actually works

4. IglooDude
    Pint

Hooray!!!!

Drinks all 'round!!

5. Peter Simpson 1
    Pint

Well done, that plymonaut!

And the support team as well. Not surprising at all that the radio guy saved the day.

73s to all and now, to find the nearest pub!

6. Flugal
    Thumb Up

Excellent!

Best bit of news I've had all day!

Congratulations to all.

1. Code Monkey

My thoughts exactly

It'd have been a goner if it wasn't for that brave, brave Playmonut

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

A Hero!

I heard he skilfully steered the damaged aircraft away from a school on the way down

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

A _primary_ school

with a "who has the cutest kitten" competition going on that day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YaY

This has been great today, can't wait to see pictures and video

Well Done all (except the driver, who's obviously some kind of junkie pisshead)

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Driving Miss Paris

Correct. I'm the driver, although I've been off the smack for six months now.

8. Jimmy Floyd
    Pint

Great work

Well done, those hacks.

9. Lyndon Hills 1
    Pint

The Right Stuff

Only one small hole in the wing, European construction at it's best. You guys could teach NASA a thing or two.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

One small step for playmobiles

One giant leap for paper kind.

Did he bring back any souvenir?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Playmobile re-enactment...

...or it didn't happen

1. Mike Sallman
      Pint

re Playmobile re-enactment

Nah, we need a Live re-enactment. With Lester playing the role of Playmonaut, perhaps?

Well done!

2. krza
      Pint

But it did happen ...

And I believe this might be the first-ever recursive simultaneous Playmobil enactment/re-enactment. Well done, probably my favorite "white paper" ever!

12. ColinP

Best news all year

Beats those Chiliean miners any day

13. benzaholic
    Pint

Huzzah!

Maybe you Brits ain't so bad after all.

Nice bit of work, y'all.

14. Dan 10
    Pint

Fantastic stuff

Have one for me, looking forward to images etc

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't help wondering..

..If two craft were made for this eventuality, you know, to fake a success? Conspiracy theorists etc...

It is what I would have done.

:)

1. marschw

Fake

I heard they faked the recovery on a sound stage. On Mars.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Onwards and upwards!!

PARIS II - with real-time video streaming !!

17. Andrew Stevenson

Bravo Bravo

Well done

18. Charlie van Becelaere
    Paris Hilton

We'll Always Have PARIS

Enough said, no?

19. Simon Harris
    Thumb Up

I'm confused...

will the re-enactment be done with Playmobile, or in this case will you have to use real people?

1. Number6

Real People

If you use a real person, I have a list of candidates that I would like to be considered for a trip to the edge of space and dropped as part of a paper aeroplane.

20. Uk_Gadget
    Thumb Up

Well Done...

Everybody here in Westminster applauds your triumphant acheivement.

21. EddieD
    Thumb Up

Utterly bonkers

but utterly cool!

22. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"IN YER FACES!!! LOOOOOSERZ!!!"

I presume a suitable email has been dispatched to those whose failure inspired El Reg to take PARIS to great heights ... though it's been a while so I cannot even recall the details!

Well done El Reg and team. A great victory for Britain, er Spain, er ... all concerned.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title that!

F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5

24. DJ 2
    Pint

Small hole in the wing,

The PARIS space program will have to be grounded while the safety of the aircraft is assessed.

Well done now let's see you on the news.

25. Olafthemighty
    Thumb Up

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!

Go Spaceteam Reg!!!

26. MrCheese
    Pint

Congraturuddylations to one and all!!

I'd have been lost had Vulture 1 not been recovered after all the effort that went into this awesoem project! Hearty pats on the backs for the entire PARIS team, very glad to hear that from the minor damamge it must've flown rather than fallen :D

Here's beers, to go with Iberian Vino Destructo!

27. Anonymous John
    Thumb Up

Houston,

the Vulture has landed.

28. Stumpy
    Pint

Well done all...

Hearty congratulations to the team and aircrew.

What's next for the intrepid playmonaut?

... Beagle III ?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

A great step for (the playmobile) mankind.

Another round for that table please!

30. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Huzzah!

Next up: PARIS II -- Orbital Insertion!

31. Tim Bergel
    Pint

Nice one

Enjoy your well-earned booze & send us pics soon please.

... or it didn't happen ...

32. Y0ur M4

PARIS II

PARIS II – Plastic Akula Released in Sea.

Surely our intrepid playmonaut could reach the depths of the sea since he has already made it into space.

33. grum1965
    Thumb Up

Well Done everyone

Looking forward to the piccies

34. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Superb work, well done team

I trust you will be sending large quantities of humble pie to all the naysayers

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

airrame by NASA?

this thing looks to have had a worse glide ratio than an American space shuttle

fire for crash 'n burn

1. Will Leamon

Here's your title.

As opposed to all those other space shuttles out there?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

A right Le(a)mon

Like the Buran perhaps.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_(spacecraft)

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@Will Leamon

Try looking up "Buran".

America is not the only country to have ever built a space shuttle. Yes, Buran is no longer flying (it only flew once and was destroyed when its hangar collapsed), but in a few months that will apply to the American shuttles too.

1. Will Leamon

Ok I'll bite

So what was the glide ratio on the Buran then?

2. Will Leamon
          Thumb Up

1 cup of title

I can't believe you're going to compare a program that built six shuttles and flew them for 30 years to a program that built one shuttle that flew once and then died in a hanger fire. Sometimes it beggars belief the lengths people will go to belittle U.S. accomplishments. It was a stellar program that will (hopefully) continue on in new ways for another 30 years.

Just with more robots and RC cars. How cool is that?

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Yeah

Like the Russian ones...

36. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Oh jolly good show

Sadly I was unable to attend the Internetty live show as I had to wor... wo.. (sorry just can't seem to get the word out).

Apologies for not supply my total attention and therefore failing to bite my nails in the appropriate manner when it was feared our brave playmonaut might be lost forever.

P.S.

Will s/he be taking interviews? Is there a book or film contract in the offing?

37. vincent himpe

hooray !

next endevour Mars ! , or do we go all the way to Uran... stop giggling like a kid ! this is serious science !

38. TimeMaster T
    Thumb Up

Photos?

Where is the photo of the grinning pilot walking towards the rescue team as the smoking wreckage of his downed aircraft burns picturesquely in the background?

Surely he had the Right Stuff.

Kudos on the success, and on the imagination to even make the attempt.

39. Beelzeebub
    Flame

Eh?

It didn't come down here, so it does not exist. pfffft!

40. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Great job

congrats on the recovery.

question though: who will play the part of the Playmonaut in the Playmobile re-enactment of the Vulture-1 flight? I'm hoping for Optimus Prime, but that's just me.

41. Gavin Jamie
    Pint

Simply brilliant

I can't have been the only one spending the day wishing I was hurtling through the Spanish countryside and beating my way through forest. Blair Witch?? It was more sleeping beauty in my head as I tried to rescue PARIS.

42. b166er

Tit le

So, only a small hole after re-entry, bravo!

1. Thorsten
      Alert

Small hole

Better a small hole after re-entry than before (cf. Columbia)!

43. Robin Bradshaw
    Thumb Up

Superb effort!

Congratulations on your successful near space adventure, are you planning on branching out into the sub orbital flights market :)

44. Peter Simpson 1
    Pint

FTFA:

"hell-bent on celebrating their achievements with suitable liquid refreshment. However, they've promised that on reaching an area with good mobile data coverage they'll update this report with near-real-time imagery of events as they unfolded."

Looks like they found a bar before they found the mobile data hotspot.

Well deserved.

45. Jellied Eel Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Delightfully bonkers!

So, chat show appearences, book launch and movie deal sorted?

46. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Next project...

Now that PARIS has landed, onto the next project:

A Slinky down Mount Everest.

47. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

Most annoying...

Been on a job interview all afternoon, miles from home, so this is the first I've seen of the mighty chase.

Congratulations all round, and one of these for the intrepid aeronaut!

48. thecakeis(not)alie

Good stuff!

Many congratulations!

49. TX_SS
    Pint

The Next Step

.. is of course Playmobile space tourism.

Congrats boys, well done !

50. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Pint

Hurray!

Many congrats. Now it is time for Lester to get a homebuilt boat. (Nuclear carrier with proper catapults, natch...)

51. Thorsten
    Happy

Excellent!

Congratulations all round!

52. F111F
    Thumb Up

One...

small plane for Man...one giant fall/glide for plastickind!

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here is the video of the build and flight...

Stardust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Os5ihedyH8

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

@ Here is the video of the build and flight...

Brilliant, as long as you watch with the volume down!

54. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

LOST Vulture One PARIS spaceplane FOUND!!!

"Reg scribe John Oates, embedded with the mobile team, breathlessly reports that Vulture One landed "almost completely intact", having suffered only a minor "hole in one wing"."

Shot down maybe?

Culprit -> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/15/fotw/

Anyhoo... Congrats to the PARIS team.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So now that that is done......

Some ideas for a suitable follow-up:

1. Asking Richard Branson if he wants to sponsor PARIS II, or maybe just take over the PARIS program entirely. He could probably get the real Paris to show up for the festivities! This would lead to:

2. Pictures of Paris Hilton giving a big welcome back kiss to Playmonaut! (Just a kiss, Paris!!)

3. Knighthoods or peerages all around for Playmonaut and the PARIS team! (Doesn't Buckingham Palace hand those things out like toy suprises in kid's cereal?)

56. Johnny Canuck
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up!

Truly an exciting development in dirt cheap aeronautical engineering! Can't raise a glass to you tonight as I have to work the midnight shift but Friday when the pics (and hopefully video) comes out I shall raise several glasses of the traditional Canadian coma inducer - rye and coke.

57. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

Awesome

Next stop, Mars!

58. Steven Jones

Off-the-shelf

Hasn't Lewis pointed out that you could have bought an off-the-shelf one from the US at a third of the cost and with the electornics (on board camera) working properly and it could have been delivered in a quarter of the time.

Where's his column on this scandal of waste?

59. Adrian Esdaile
    Pint

Who needs a Virgin when you have a Vulture?

Chuffed to hear Vulture 1 rode PARIS so high and long, and survived the come-down.

Can we expect pics of Playmonaut (What IS his name?) reclining in a full schooner of ale?

PS. I watched the flight live via the intertubes last night, with my wife cheering on as well. My those jet streams have some poke, don't they?

60. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Congratulations

The right stuff indeed !!

61. Beanzy
    Thumb Up

A triumph in paper and plastic.

Well done all.

How's the collective hangover?

Did you get pics of the fame-crazed pilot snorting a line in the men's bogs? or falling out of the limo surrounded by a threesome of loose floozies.? Surely the pilot will be hounded by the 'paper'azzi now.

......In fact that could solve the photos problem for Vulture II; those snappers have got really long zoom lenses, or they could be dropped out of a baloon on vespas to chase the plastic pilot.

62. Big-nosed Pengie
    Thumb Up

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Well done, chaps!

63. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Have another boys!

Bravo! Well done! etc. etc. Now then, out of curiosity, assuming you have accurate release data, a 6 km jaunt equates to what exactly as a glide ratio?

Bah! It's beer-thirty, lets enjoy another round to celebrate just how sturdy that little craft is. I must say, having seen the LZ, I'm rather surprised to see her in such good condition. Bloody fine work lads.

64. VeganVegan

PARIS rocks!

Congratulations on a typically-daft British endeavour.

Let's see: PARIS was released at near 90,000 ft (a bit more than 27 km), and landed just 6 km from the balloon.

Ignoring the usual complicating factors (wind, and spiral flight, especially), PARIS has a glide ratio of 6/27=0.22. That's even less than the Apollo space capsule. PARIS rocks! (or at least she falls like a rock). It's a miracle that she survived with just one small hole.

1. mmiied

not true

not true it could have flown in circles till the pilote is debreifed we will not know the true epic adventure (are the movie rights still avaible?)

65. HRH Martin

Well done

Well done!

Now, given all you've achieved with so little, have you thought about bidding for MoD contracts?

66. Pet Peeve
    Pint

Neato

It's in really amazing shape! Is there any recoverable onboard telemetry so we can find out if it flew or simply plummeted with style?

67. Z80
    Thumb Up

[Fist pump]

Splendid stuff chaps.

I hope the Vulture One GPS kit logged its flightpath - I'd like to see how she went down.

68. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

Well done!

Well done indeed. A fantastic, triumphant end to an epic effort.

More than ever, I wish I had your job. And I actually like my own job... :D

(Wanders off humming "I like PARIS in the fall...")

69. VMax
    Boffin

Brilliant work!

I'm relieved that all are home safe, but still... Paper space plane with playmobile pilot lost returning to earth. Possibly still circling the earth looking for a place to land. Could become the stuff of legend, re-told by geeks at pubs around the world.

70. Randomyachtie
    Pint

Exclusive Pilot Interview

Some f**king genius had the great idea of welding a couple of steel plates onto our deck to keep the General safe from ground fire…

Well, it was like trying to fly a freight train. Ok? Gross overload, trim characteristics all shot to hell. I nearly broke both my arms trying to keep her level. And when we released, you know, I tried as hard as I could. Tried to gain some altitude and still keep her from stalling, but we came down like a f**king meteor. This is how we ended up.

71. C. P. Cosgrove
    Thumb Up

Congratulations

Brilliant !

And a happy ending !

72. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Wow!

Considering the buffeting she must have taken (no sniggering at the back there) PARIS is seems incredibly undamaged.

73. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

And the Reg chose to do these things

Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Well done!

74. Kurgan
    Thumb Up

Great!

Now, time for data analysis. We (well, I) want to se the graphs, want to read telemetry data, want to to see the pics and videos!

75. koncordski
    Pint

There's only one hole in PARIS?

Survived intact, congratulations from the Docklands tracking station. Do we all have to work now? Oh wait it's friday, that's all right then.

76. Patrick O'Reilly
    Thumb Up

To Madrid, and beyond!

Congrats to the Vulture 1 team, it was one small flight for a toy, one giant leap for Playmobilkind

77. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Is this a Tory conspiracy?

To justify budget cuts by proving that science can be done using nothing but paper, rubber and red wine. Lib Dem additional - don't forget the beer and the jolly old trip to Spain.

But a great bit of bodging, lads. Great stuff. Personally I felt that insufficient use duct tape jeopardised the mission* but you did it anyway.

* - Insufficient use of duct tape. or IDT as we know it, is the reason they can't find that Boggs Hissom follicle at CERN, of course. No duct tape in those tunnels at all.

78. James Micallef Silver badge
    Pint

Congrats all round

And pints :)

Looking forward to any photo / video footage from plane and/or mother ship?

79. Andrew Newstead
    Pint

What can I say...

that has not been said already. Absolutely brilliant gentlemen and an example to us all. I hope that you've all got suitable hangovers this morning, here's another one!

Congrats from the Chesterfield tracking station.

80. kneedragon

One small step.

As a patriotic Australian, I feel it's only my duty at this moment to mock and belittle your efforts.

... Aw, stuff it! Good on yers. I've enjoyed the whole adventure. I hope Richard Noble feels suitably inspired. One Giant leap for Playmanaut kind.

81. Graham Bartlett

@konkordski

Only one that's worth commenting on, anyway.

Congrats to the team - looking forward to the vids.

82. Bill Fresher
    Joke

Pah

I jumped out of a balloon from 90,000ft this morning, without a parachute, and didn't even get one ickle scratch when I hit the ground. I didn't film it because the video camera had problems with the low temperatures.

83. Gusty O'Windflap

Congratulations

but be careful, I watched The Quatermass Experiment last night, you do not want a rampaging Playmonaut on your hands

84. Am
    Happy

Congrats to all

Glad plane and playmonaut are found :)

85. Shakje

It's nice of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to help you,

didn't realise he'd cut his hair short.

86. Peter Mc Aulay
    Pint

Huzzah!

Congratulations and beer all around!

87. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The title

is obviously crying out for an "ON THE MOON" at the end - perhaps a subtle hint as to the direction of your next challenge?

88. Radelix
    Pint

Well done

I offer my my humble congratulations from the west coast of the USA. Well done indeed.

89. chrisjw37
    Grenade

The score so far

Flight Physics 1

Technology 0

90. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mine's a Budvar

I see a distinct comparison between PARIS having landed safely in the pine forest and those photographs we see of children's soft toys that just happen to have landed safely on top of terrorist bomb sites.

If you don't believe me, then ask yourself, why is the search-and-rescue team running towards the camera?

Come on, Reg, you can fool some of us into buying you free beer but we weren't all born yesterday.

91. heyrick Silver badge

Can I make a suggestion?

Get one of those cheap'n'cheerful fixed-focus digital cameras that does MJPEG at 640x480 (or maybe 320x240 if it's a slow image processor?). Pop in an SD card. You should get reasonable results with a 2Gb (in case crap-cam can't hack SDHC). Pop it in the nose of the plane. Just prior to release, switch the thing on and into video mode (can somebody pop a hand out and prod the buttons? is this possible?).

Then let the good times roll!

This topic is closed for new posts.