back to article 'HULC™' robot exoskeleton war-walker suit 'at gen 2.0'

American developers say they have produced a "next-generation" version of the well-known Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC™) robotic exoskeleton suit for the US Army. The machine is now to be tested in laboratories for resistance to "sand, wind, rain, temperature and humidity". The HULC soldier exoskeleton in trials. Credit: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hollerith 1

How soon on the market?

Given that I have to carry all the luggage on holidays, a set of these would be brill. Also would transofrm my hiking and camping! I demand these now!

In addition, how cool for the frail, elderly, etc., who can barely carry two tins of cat food (= supper).

Not as totally brilliant as would be the full Starship Trooper armour (from the book, not the film), but i will take it for a starter.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Great Idea

Added bonus: certain US religious figures would be saved the embarrassment of accidentally hiring a rent boy when all they need is something to "lift their luggage".

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Oops

Forgot to make the obligatory "Paris because she can 'lift my luggage' any day"* joke.

*Not that she could. I'm more of a Salma Hayek kinda guy.

2. Adam Nealis
    Thumb Up

I want one. My pregnant wife would love it!

Where can I get one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

I still have visions...

of a soldier on his back floundering like an upturned turtle. Does it come with a srimech ala Robot Wars?

3. nichomach
    Coat

I'm sad enough...

...that my first thought was "OK, we've got the power armour, now where's the boom gun..."

Mines the one with the Rifts rules in the pocket...

4. Nigel Brown
    Terminator

Niet.

Now all the boffins have to do is develop a system thats stops the Yanks shooting their allies and blowing up hostages.

ROTM, well, it had to be.

5. Rogerborg

SWAT will get it first

Do a proper armoured version, stick a Standard Issue SWAT Moustache on it, and use it to kick in doors and murder grannies in their beds with 250% more Officer Safety. SCIENCE!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh!

Meanwhile the Taliban are giving amphetamine coated carrots to their donkeys.

Result - 40kg load -> 40 miles -> plus donkey burger dinner at destination.

7. Deckchair

is required.

I think you'll find the Taliban just use a truck.

8. Chris Harden

Taliban Truck?

Ahhh, but then the US solider can just kick the front of the truck in.

9. Graham Bartlett

@Hollerith

Definitely - this would be wonderful for anyone with mobility problems. And with minor modifications it would also be a massive improvement on wheelchairs.

FWIW though, I'm surprised they haven't done anything yet about adding a stabilised hardpoint for support weapons, Predator-style.

10. Shadowfirebird

Presumably

...it's but a step away to slap an armoured frame on top of this, and bigger batteries.

Stupid idea, prehaps ... but you can bet that they are working on it.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Terminator

And

get rid of the squishy fleshy bit in the middle, after all, if that gets damaged the machine stops working

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

what happens when...

...the batteries run out!

12. Dex
    Pint

Finally....

....A device that can get you home when pissed, not only get you home but get you home UPRIGHT!

HUZZAH!!

13. Robert Moore
    Grenade

Surplus?

I can't wait for my local Army Surplus store to get these into stock.

14. TheRealRoland
    Happy

Bah! Wallace had it right the first time, years ago.

Only a funny looking chicken stole it from him. Got the video to prove it.

And how about adding a speaker system? 'HULC ANGRY! HULC STOMP!'

15. Mutantone
    Terminator

slap some shelter over it and increase

slap some shelter over it and increase the power and the size limits, make it very comfortable perhaps carrying a command module, on the back for constant command control increased size carried added nano tube fibers armour through out light weight and very strong. allows for larger weapons if mounted upon the mule attached by an umbilical longer patrols and can act as a recharge or a follow along ammo mule allowing the larger frames to carry more weight stand up to impacts from Fired by the enemy. Mount the warriors in the pod operating system the is overly protected and padded like a Minotaur a robotic operator mounted on wheels or tracks. a small building sized construction vehicle totally armoured carrying large weight weapons and near unlimited ammunition. mount on armour and weapons fill the location that was the dump bed of very large quarry machine they can be come a roving pill box of various weapons systems from howitzers to chain guns, rockets, anti tank, ship or aircraft . smaller man sized but over built for protection and different assignment

16. Mips
    Jobs Halo

"The greatest weakness of the HULC thus far...

... has been the limited endurance offered by the batteries"?

I should have thought the greatest weakness is not being able to get up if you fall over or not being able to lie down if you are shot at. Not good in a theatre of war then.

17. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The future is becoming real

Space Marines, here we come.

Now, could somebody please invent the FTL drive ?

18. bugalugs
    Terminator

Giving soldiers un-precedented battlefield capabilities

if not shot at too much? Of course you can armour, to a point...

What's really interesting here is the way the sensors/software/

actuators facilitate relatively smooth walking, running and even jumps.

Any civilian model of this model will, however, probably be embedded

in a walking frame or trolley.

For anyone who missed it, watch defence personnel doing

what could easily be a bit of a telemetry run here.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/hulc_protonex_fuel_cell

Reckon they're just using wet-ware to sort balance and motion

in the undercarriage. Exo-arms next, then a sensor-suite round

eye level.

They think they've got till 1984.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

I like this - Mech / Transformer-esque Device.

Always intruiged me that Battle Mech's had the driver sitting in an armored glass cockpit, instead of being behind armor - with cameras and screens.

Standing up shooting mega guns and missiles at each other - at point blank range....

This is the same thing - except with no armor at all, and lots of soft squishy shit in the middle.

I am curious tho - how does one "mount the soldier" in it? Like do they use a big rubber dildo type mount to stick him on or what?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like