back to article Sun's 'Project Copy Linux' hits milestone

Sun Microsystems is claiming its first major milestone in Project Indiana, with the release of an OpenSolaris developer preview binary distribution. The OpenSolaris Developer Preview features the core operating system, Gnome desktop and graphical installer contained on a Slim Install Live CD for x86. The SPARC edition is still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Raheim Sherbedgia
    Unhappy

What was the point

of this article? Saying " apparently Sun hasn't heard of something called Linux" is the same as "Apple hasn't heard of something called Microsoft".

You fool, technology is all about marketing, not functionality; if you expect to be a respectable hack you must remain pragmatic in your opinions.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

What he said

What was the point of the article? Are you saying Solaris has nothing going for it? Are you saying that there is no point in having alternative open source unixes? Should we all zonk our *BSD installs?

Given the dearth of reliable Linux distributions I would reckon many companies welcome this step.

3. Damien Jorgensen
    Happy

Good on Sun

I will be downaloding a copy when its available for Sparc and giving it a go! Cant wait

4. John Watts
    Alert

I see a point Raheim

It might just be me, but I'd rather technology was all about functionality not marketing.

Anyway, I'm not sure you can have a pragmatic opinion.

5. Graham Wood
    Stop

@Raheim Sherdgia

Hyperbole is a standard tactic these days - it's such a stupid thing to say that I'm amazed anyone would not recognise it as such.

Having said that, Solaris has a rock solid reputation that means that quite a few startups will be more willing to try that than go with a linux distribution. It's approaching the customers from the opposite direction.

The "point of the article" is that opensolaris is about to release a beta - which seems like a news-worthy thing to me. As a linux/solaris sysadmin, it's probably of more interest to me than most.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Go

SUN are just making the OS "free", not the support....

Support contracts are where SUN hopes to make the money, especially with commercial/enterprise operators that will not take on board any OS without knowing there is a reliable support structure behind it. This is how Red Hat and Novell make their money.

Of course, just like Oracle did to Red Hat, there is nothing stopping the other UNIX vendors (or Linux disties, or even Microsoft!) offering Open Slowaris downloads and support contracts too....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

@Raheim

Hear hear.

The articles churned out by this particular individual show a very obvious bias towards Microsoft.

Apparently he is unable to see the good in any other companies offerings. Or maybe he just doesn't understand them - the big clue here I suppose is the "Copy Linux" title, which manages to be both completely inaccurate and as humourous as a vasectomy without anaesthetic at the same time!

It's funny how you find this kind of narrow-mindedness in Windows fans - must be a kind of insecurity.:-)

8. Damien Jorgensen
    Happy

RE:Andrew Ness

lol, Im a fan of Solrairs, but the only reason Sun doesnt sell software like Solaris and has had to give it away is because to be frank for most users (I mean businesses) Solaris and even Linux hold little appeal.

Thats why the title says "Copy Linux" as that is what Sun want you to think

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well it beats

writing your own operating system from scratch, it's state as of two months ago which was when I checked it out was it was not fun, tough to use, and little wobbly. I don't believe in miracles so I will wait a year or so before I check in again. This is not to say it doesn't show promise it's just not ready for most Linux users.

10. Ahmad Hamadallah
    Stop

Don't use it.

if you are not happy, then simply go a way and don't use it.

at least, Solaris is very robust in handling applications and most major DBMS. and the most advantage than Linux is thread handling.

every one know that linux distributions the change the main background and new theme, then release new version, it is really very ridiculous.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Damien Jorgensen

Most businesses ?

Apparently you have no idea how many Solaris servers, X86, X64 or SPARC are actually out there.

The title is completely inaccurate because it's not a Linux clone - it's a rock-solid operating system that has a pedigree going back 14 years that has been released for developer involvement. It's NOT a prototype operating system effectively written from scratch (note I'm not talking about the tools here) which is exactly what Linux is.

This topic is closed for new posts.