back to article ARM still raking it in, and not just in phones

ARM has had a good quarter, powering 900 million mobile phones and 600 million other devices sold in the last three months as it expands beyond the pocket and into the world. Revenues are increasing at a similar rate as ARM's Q3 results show, though this quarter's royalties are based on the last quarter's shipments. Total …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kororas

Glad to hear it.

A chip company other than intel doing well ? 0.o

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re:

A company other than Intel...

...and one I have purchased stock of.

Whoohoo!

1. RoboJ1M

I can has stock?

How on earth did you do that?

2. Graham Bartlett

"as it expands beyond the pocket and into the world"

Er, that's not my arm...

3. spencer
    Thumb Up

Good to hear.

Now we need ARM chips to come to the desktop arena.. competition is good.

...especially when it's the Brits who are winning.

Also... have the ARM netbooks come yet?? It's been a seriously long time coming.

4. Neil Hoskins
    WTF?

Where's my ARM Netbook?

And no, I don't want a tablet, especially if it's made by the Cult of the Fruit. And I don't want some PoS running Windows CE either. Running Ubuntu ideally.

1. Goat Jam
      Grenade

Bully Boy Tactics

So called "smartbooks" were killed in utero by MS and Intel who threatened to remove their "Market Support" from any OEMs who considered producing them.

Me, I'm hoping that we will eventually see some sort of "open" server architecture based on ARM processors.

Hand grenade is for Wintel, who have been holding the industry back for decades

1. spencer

if that is the case..

Then it's a tragedy.

Basically allowing apple to get the lead and stomp all over this sector with their Ipad (which has neither an Intel inside or running anything by MS)

talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

5. codemonkey
    Thumb Up

Cortex

I had the pleasure of developing an embedded application on the Cortex last year, from scratch...Lovely chip...Long live ARM :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

A word of warning

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=3775039

7. Bill Neal
    Go

don't forget...

...to ARM your SoCs before you take on the world. ARM your console too while you're at it.

8. Sean Nevin

They "make" some good stuff

I'm designing for an ARM9 SoC right now. One thing to keep in mind though, is that ARM does not make processors (hence the quotes) and it is up to the actual manufacturer ie. Atmel, Texas Instruments, or whoever; to integrate the core with the peripherals like Ethernet, LCD controller, and so on.

When a design engineer talks about a good ARM part, they're probably thinking of the whole chip.

That said, they are great processors; especially for embedded systems.

9. JaitcH
    Pint

It's gratifying that the UK actually leads the world in this market sector

Given that the USA and TaiWan are often technology leaders, it's good news that ARM is leading a market sector.

They would be well served to keep an eye on China as their technology is advancing rapidly.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

UK leads ...

In corporate fortunes ... Intel languishes in gradual decline since dot-com. Peers like AMD and NVidia tread water. Meanwhile in the UK, ARM soars, as does the smaller Imagination.

ARM is in a very good place, at the heart of the world's rapidly-growing market for low-power devices. Glad I bought the shares when they were under 90p !

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Note the pros and cons of being a "FAbless" chip company.

As people like to point out Ad nausum ARM do *not* mfg *any* chips but design them and their support software (in some case. Other parts are ports from Gnu).

Pro

No multi billion $ upgrade costs for a new fab.

No never ending material/imaging/processing treadmill.

Con

Rely on *someone* upgrading their foundry to make the next generation of devices.

Can't set prices for chips in way Intel can.

While some companies might think the obvious move is to take over a fab line and offer a vertically integrated offering history suggests other chip makers would get *very* nervous at such behavior.

I hope they will continue to resist this deceptively tempting but ultimately bad idea.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great , now wheres that Dual cortex A9 with 128bit SIMD better than sse for sale

Great , now wheres that Dual Arm cortex A9 with 128bit SIMD better than sse for sale this cristmass?

people want to buy these Dual Arm cortex A9 PC devices NOW, whats with the licencee's holding back these dual and quad design's that already exist!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like