back to article Great Scot! Wi-Fi on the Glasgow Subway

Glasgow Subway is Wi-Fi-ed up, a first for a British underground railway. The service is supplied by hotspot provider The Cloud and is available in all 15 stations and platforms. But no tunnels. Commuters are initially offered fifteen minutes free and then must buy on standard subscription terms - £2 for a 24 hour period. O2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Amazon Wageslave
    Pint

pure dead brilliant

'Ats pure quality man bye 'eh way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

er...

who is going to be crazy enough to get out their laptop on the clockwork orange? hmmm.... few i'm guessing

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Priorities...

...Glesga's heard of 'em and wants nothing tae dae wi' em!

So we Weegies can now surf while the trundle down below, super. Heaven forfend that the council would spend its time thinking about integrated transport (can you buy a ticket from A->B, can you buggery. Each company is a fiefdom unto itself), pollution (buses belching black soot into the air and spewing diesel over the roads), pot-holes (you *need* a 4x4 to drive through Glasgow), litter (Glasgow doesn't need waste bins, it IS a waste bin!), graffiti, violence, decaying buildings (many listed, only to 'accidentally' burn down), swingeing council tax rates and so on.

But no - WiFi on the Clockwork Orange!

If you thought the Delhi Commonwealth Games were a fiasco, just wait until you see the complete pig's ear Glasgow's Council makes of 2014. This is the Council that spunked loads on "re-branding" sports and culture whilst at the same time closing down grassroots sporting facilities! You couldn't make it up.

1. Chad H.
      Joke

Considering

Considering the lack of interest from the BBC in showing the Games, and even less interest from everyone else, perhaps we wont see what kind of a ballsup the games will be.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well...

...makes a change from Metro notworking

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

erm

Who the hell is going to take their laptop out in public on a Glasgow underground? Is this some kind of fools test?

1. Elmer Phud

Test?

Lappy ?

Nah, who is stupid enough to whip out an iPad?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you sure you mean the rail subway?

Or large, filled baguette based restaurants?

7. QuincyMd
    FAIL

Pointless

It only takes you about 1/2 hour to go around all the stops on the thing.

On the london underground I can see a use if you want to check email on yr phone on the way home cause you'll most likely be on it for a good while. But on the Glasgow subway, you'll have just enough time to get through the login procedure before you'll be at your stop.

8. David Neil

couple of points

It doesn't work in the tunnels, only at the stations.

And culture & sport was spun off as an arms length company - they got to shut down the leisure centres while allowing the council to say "it wisnae me mister"

9. nickrw
    FAIL

Fail

Tried to use it on my phone on the way home from work. Gave me an IP address, but didn't get any further than that, no hotspot auth or internet.

Shame you don't get any 3G signal down th... oh wait. I somehow coped without wifi access for the 2 minutes I was waiting for my train. Others were almost in tears though.

10. Chad H.
    FAIL

Kinda pointless

The Trains run every couple of minutes, theres no seating on the platform, and most of the platforms are very thin.

Might be okay if you just want to check your mail on your smarphone, but you could just go topside and do that already.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like