back to article PARIS grounded by whipping wind

Today's planned PARIS lift-off has been canned due to high winds at the launch site. The team was up at the crack of dawn to brave sub-zero temperatures with nothing more than a quick shot of brandy keeping the balls on the brass monkeys. We may as well have stayed in bed, since despite relatively clear skies, the wind was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John

I don't see the pilot in the photo.

He isn't shut in the cockpit for the next 48 hours, is he?

2. VeganVegan
    Alert

Turn turtle?

I hope that you've got enough ballast in PARIS to shift the cg forward, to counter the weight and air resistance of the wire that's sticking out of her topside.

Otherwise the wire would tend to make her pitch up and turn turtle, ending up upside down, with tail headed into the wind.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Small...

Much smaller than I thought - still cool though

4. DZ-Jay

Re: I don't see the pilot in the photo.

I do. The cockpit, however, is opened, so he should be fine. However, if he's partaking of the celebratory Rioja he'll be in trouble just sitting there for the next 48 hours, though I'm sure his jumpsuit provides for some sort of bladder release.

-dZ.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alan Shepard

Had to go in his silver space suit whilst Freedom 7 was stuck on the pad. But he was only given permission after the people at mission control were sure it wouldn't cause a short circuit and fatal fire.

By the way where was Rui? That image is sadly lacking the air of sultry glamour he brought to earlier photoshoots.

5. David Given
    Badgers

I knew it

The guy in the background, in the blue jacket --- I'd recognise that shadow over the upper face anywhere. It's ex-Emperor Palpatine! The whole PARIS project is a front for a Sith plot to take over the world! Once released, Vulture One will cruise at hypersonic velocities through the upper atmosphere releasing paper-based midichlorian nanotechnology that will corrupt our precious bodily fluids. Soon, people everywhere will be compelled by the power of the Force to vote Tea Party, so recreating the Empire and restoring Palpatine to power!

It's so obvious in hindsight. What else could PARIS stand for but Palpatine's Attempt to Restore the Influence of the Sith?

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Boffin

Duty free red?

We need details....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And...

...a tasting guide so we can join in at home.

At a guess they're knocking back a precocious little number of 10% rioja and 90% unused aircraft dope.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The next opportunity is Tuesday?

Is that how long it takes you to sober up, or is that the next time you're on the sauce again.

You never get more than a stiff breeze in Spain, thats why it's populated by three Spaniards and 300 million expats. I am not convinced this project is being taken seriously, most scientific projects would ban alcohol on work site.

8. Andus McCoatover

Ye Gods and Little Fishes!!

Never doubted this proj. would see the light of day, pity it was a bit too blowy.

Still, let's hope it as bad tomorrow, so another excuse for another bottle or two of cheap plonk...

(After all, that's what it's about, innit??)

9. Efros
    Paris Hilton

ooerr

Paris, whipping, wind sounds like a weekend!

10. Steven Walker
    Paris Hilton

Paris

Where is the Paris factor

11. Eddy Ito
    Pint

And so

with bated breath we wait upon dear sweet Mother Nature to officially bless our beloved PARIS. Perhaps mum is just holding out for some of that splendid tempranillo based ambrosia.

Best of luck on Tuesdays attempt.

12. Parax
    Paris Hilton

Not only but also...

Not only a whipping wind but also a bit nippy out..

God Bless Paris and all who 'mile high' in her...

13. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

Who's Who?

Any chance of identifying who's who in the photo?

14. kneedragon

In the meantime.

While we wait with baited breath for the conditions to improve (and the brandy to evaporate), perhaps we should review the history of other's failures, and check that we're not overlooking something basic.

http://science.slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=story&sid=10/10/24/1514250

15. paulc
    Stop

Flight tested?

we still don't know if the plane has been balanced and trimmed to fly. There is nothing on this vital subject...

Is it just going to be dropped from altitude with no attempt to trim it correctly?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Tuesday is our next window of opportunity, so we'll keep you posted.

Well....

1. frankgobbo
      Paris Hilton

Tuesday

It's now Wednesday; I'm assuming it didn't go ahead.

Any update on this one? Any thoughts on when the next attempt will be? Are you still planning on doing the live internet tracking for everybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Iberia

Which side of the international date line is that agian?

Seeking a new definition of 'keeping us posted'...

Plesae don't tell us that PARIS has been taken over by sagepay.

17. SteveD
    Pint

it's me

Well I will identify myself ex-Emperor Palpatine, Most people would say having a shadow across my face was a good thing (although the Shadows is a different SCI-FI theme). It was very cold and windy on that day unfortunately, the wine glasses were frozen to our hands. The good news is the tracker I had going was received 300 miles away. Play mobile pulled out all the stops and our pilot Chuck has been trained by the best Buzz Lightyear.

18. Anakin
    FAIL

Keep us posted?

Where is the update?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like