back to article Irish man rescued after falling for 419 scam

An Irish man who was kidnapped after falling for an email fraud scam was rescued when police raided a hotel in the capital of Ghana where he was being held captive. James Lafferty, 49, from Ennis, Co Clare, had been held hostage for about five days while kidnappers demanded money for his safe return. He was freed after police …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Erik Zeek
    Unhappy

Missed Darwin oportunity.

It would have been better for the human race if he hadn't been rescued. This guy was just crying for a Darwin award. First he got sucked in by a 419 scam, then he tried to recover his money... ON THEIR TURF. Maybe he can get an honorable mention.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dear Owner of Email

Greetings in Jesus name! I am most please to inform you of the kidnap of your son. He is unharmed, and I am prepared to release him for the sum of £100,000 (one hundred thousand pounds). You may contact me at this email address.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

419 scams a little more varied...

Just because you've had one of the more obvious ones, doesn't make you an expert....

4. Stephen Gray

@ Salmon

LOL, here's my cash right now, I'll just need a small payment from you to prove good faith, let's say £1000 please send a bankers draft to Joe King, Holliday Inn Lagos :)

5. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

You gotta be real, real stupid to go to any kind of African country *unarmed* to try recovering your money. Even the average Yankee knows how ugly things get down there (even more with that recent Blood Diamond movie) involving rape, mutilation and very, very gruesome deaths.

Wait. Actually, some of the stuff happening on some places there might actually make you wish for death. And a quick one at that.

Oh well, another potential Darwin Award lost...

6. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

Now we know

Now we know why so many dumb Irish jokes exist in this world of ours from the Americas to the shores of Antipodes and beyond !

His action and activities would put him on par with something that Paris would do !

7. Cian Duffy

This is what happens when you give the stupid computers...

Ennis won a competition to be Telecom Eireann's "Information Age Town" some time in the 90s. Basically, there was IE£15M of cheap/free computers and ISDN access given out like sweets at a parade there in 1997/8, and as a result, there's people who think they "know computers" and know how not to make an idiot of themselves on the net who, by rights, probably shouldn't even have a computer. I'd lay money on him still using the Telecom Eireann computer, actually.

8. Gilbert Wham

Edumacashunal

"Even the average Yankee knows how ugly things get down there (even more with that recent Blood Diamond movie)" -Too funny.

9. Tim Brown

@Anonymous Coward

Obvious ones? Any unsolicited email should be regarded with suspicion, no matter what its content.

The moment it starts asking for anything - be it money, a plane ticket, whatever - biff it.

Let's face it, the only legitimate folk who are likely to ask for cash are your close friends and family. If you receive an email from them, they're easy to verify with a phone call or visit.

Most of these idiots get suckered because they think that charity is great. It doesn't occur to them that a genuine charity would never ask for funds via email (unless you had deliberately signed up to their list - and then you've only got yourself to blame).

These scams are always obvious - if only people would get it through their thick heads to ignore unsolicited email.

10. The Mighty Spang
    Flame

ac a moron

>Just because you've had one of the more obvious ones, doesn't make you an expert....

You know what, I don't need to know anything about current scams because I engage my brain. random person you don't know contacting you... check... wealth beyond wildest dreams for nearly no work/outlay... check... hmmm might be a scam!

I'm convinced school is basically not working. For me, it should have 3 hours every monday morning them writing out "if it seems too good to be true, then it is" over and over again.

unfortunately the bad guys realise that there's one born every minute. hell a friend of mine who lectures in HE got caught on that "women empowering women" pyramid scheme despite me saying "its a fucking pyramid scheme"

why do social engineering scams work? because people are morons (i listened to my friend the other day give out her passport number duh). why do 419 scams work? because people are greedy morons. Why do alternative therapists make so much money? because people are spiritual morons.

Man I wish I was heartless enough to take advantage of all the wallies out there waiting to be fleeced but i've got too much dignity. maybe i should convert to a religion then I could fleece people then be admonished of my sins....

The broadcast has been brought to you by the "Everybody in the world is a fucking moron" party

11. Tim Blair
    Happy

Dawin missed this one....

"A fool and his money are easilly parted"

HAHAHAHA HEEEE HAHAHAHA EEHHH HOHOHO. no sorry, i shouldn't laugh......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA !!!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find it odd...

...how the same community of people can shudder with moral outrage at a guy who pees on a dying woman, and then turn around and vocally bemoan the fact that the victim of a scam wasn't murdered.

It would appear that, in addition to believing that finances are a litmust test for legitimate computer ownership ("There was... cheap/free computers... as a result there's people who shouldn't have a computer"), Reg readers by and large believe that 'stupid' people deserve to die.

How touching.

13. Tom

New contest...

Keep a running total of all the millions that you get offered in the 419 scams. Find out the monthly total. Given the amount of "lose cash" floating around Africa, we could just about settle all the debt they ever had. In a couple of years, the US debt could be put away for good.

Ah, wishful thinking.....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was freed after police received a tip.

Obviously, for less than the usual 10% of the total ransom.

15. Mike Moyle
    Boffin

Re: ac a moron

@ The Mighty Spang

> "maybe i should convert to a religion then I could fleece people then be

> admonished of my sins...."

I believe that the concept that you were looking for is to be "absolved" (forgiven) of your sins.

You are now being admonished (syn: scolded, chided, etc.) for you poor language skills.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@David Wiernicki

There is a slight difference between a helpless, expiring invalid, who got urinated on as a prank, and a moron.

To A) fall for a 419 scam (come on, EVERYBODY knows that anything involving Africa is a fraud*) and to then B) go there (!) to try to recover your money – this person should not be eligible to vote, drive, and especially breed!

* Yes, you read right, everything from the African continent is a fraud – from 10,000,000 from [random person] – to FREE puppies (for which you have to pay...)

P.S. there should be an option of blocking all email from Africa, from your ISP – that should be on by default, I can guarantee that no one will notice it, apart from a near-instantaneous drop in 419.

17. Bob Jones

Euros

I've never seen a single 419 Scam in Euro's, surely when you win the lottery or your bank has a prize for you, it would be in your local currency?

18. Simon Brown
    Heart

Campaign for real R's

> You are now being admonished (syn: scolded, chided, etc.) for YOU poor language skills.

glass houses

stones

(hang on it was deliberate and I missed the dig...)

19. Michael

Gobshite

Bet he's a smart arse businessman / windows user too.

20. Amanda

Re: Euros

@Bob Jones: Just about every "email lottery" notice I get is in EUR - most of these are allegedly Dutch national lotteries.

As if the Dutch government is going to give several million EUR to someone with a .de email.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

419eater.com

www.419eater.com

hilarious

22. Christopher Rogers
    Alert

idiot

Good thing he survived - now he can be a shining example to all other computer users as to WHY the world says NO to 419ers. In the process of standing on a stage and shouting about why its a good idea to bin these emails directly, he will be eating humble pie, punishment for putting his family and colleagues through hell, along side punishment for being an idiot in the first place.

Its frightening that in this day and age of technology, people are still falling for these scams. As long as there are idiots like these guys, there will always be 419ers making money.

23. AndyB
    Happy

Works both ways

There was a case where someone stitching up a 419er lured him to Saudi Arabia to complete the 'deal'. The Saudi police were all too happy to deal with the Nigerian miscreant.

I believe the scammer now needs a specially modified keyboard to conduct his business.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

Dear Mr. Bob Jones,

Favoured Greetings from Koln! I need your inestimable help in a small personal matter involving €25,000,000 for which you will be well rewarded... etc etc.

25. druck Silver badge

Bungs

I bet he also had to bung the officials for entry/exit visa's, and again at customs, and leave rather a large tip for the police for recovering him too. If there's one thing more effective than the 419 boys, its the official corruption.

26. Natalie Gritpants
    Mars

@ Daniel B

> How ugly things get down there.

So you think south is down? It's further from the earth's axis than you are, so I'd call that up.

27. Eamonn O'Connell
    Boffin

story update

From what I've heard on the radio here in Ireland, the scammers asked if they could leave their money rest in his a/c for a small fee. After he gave them his bank details they took EUR200,000 off the poor fellow.

28. Steve Wehrle
    Happy

Response to ransom demand ?

Top o' the morning to you all.

Regarding the £100,000 ransom demanded. Please find enclosed a cheque for £200,000. If you could put the change into my bank account (number xxxxxxxxxxx) I would be most grateful.

Thanks

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Nuf said... He's Irish

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fool me once...

I bet when he gets home he checks his email, finds out he's been kidnapped and then pays the release fee.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

419 scams

Did the exist before the interspaz? The only reason I ask is that I had one snail-mailed to me the other day.

32. Stephen Gray

@David Wiernicki

"Reg readers by and large believe that 'stupid' people deserve to die." No true but I suspect a goodly number would like to see you face down in a puddle especially if you think that pissing on another individual is the same as some greedy tosser who wants money for nothing getting his just reward.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@David Wiernicki

I'm a very consistent type of anon. I think both are funny (in the case of wee boy I think it's funny that he's dumb enough to do it, I think it's funny he was dumb enough to put it on youtube and I think it's funny he got caught), and I demand pics! Stupid people are funny.

Preferably of this irish guy sitting in the back of a flat back truck with some guys carryin ak47's and a dude with a rocket launcher.

Anyway most people who get scammed are old, so what does this say about "o education was so much better back in the day" claims?

34. John Chadwick

419 Snails

Me too, I sent mine to the Barcelona Police and asked if they would like to collect it for me as the return address was just round the corner for them.

35. Andy ORourke
    Joke

I'm Dissapointed now

I looked in my email this afternoon and I have, in no particular order:

£750,000 from the UK national lottery (Wonder why they use an email address from Yahoo!)

£800,000 from the Heiniken Internation promotion (probably the best promotion in the world)

£250,000 from the ecowas (ecoWHO?) foundation

£2,500,000 from the international promotional program

£3,934,000 from the UK national lottery this is my second win today!

£1,000,000 from the Microsoft Lottery (I thought that was something to do with using their software but I must have been mistaken.

Now, all I have to do is send them my name, address, bank details, age, sex and I can retire next week :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.