back to article Google Android 3.0 on track for New Year tablet launches

Google has told hardware and software developers to expect Android 3.0 in December. So say moles from within Taiwan's hardware manufacturing community, according to a report from local newssite DigiTimes. It was always believed that Android 3.0 would ship to developers in December, paving the way for sample hardware in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lovely Gingerbread

I'm so confused about what to do. My Mrs has said she'll buy me a tablet for Christmas but will any 3.0 devices be out by then? If not do I take the chance on a FroyoPad and hope that it'll get an update soon? Gah! Who said choice was a good thing?

Still, happy that Gingerbread is round the corner.

1. James Hughes 1

You and me both.

Like the look of the Archos 10.1, but waiting for 3.0 to be out (looks like Archos may be waiting also!)

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Stop

I'd wait.

Honestly, they've not been all that good thus far.

For example, AFAIK very few have nice capacitive screens, I believe only the high end Archos ones do.

I suppose it really boils down to what you want to do with it and how urgently you need it.

Netbooks are really quite good for browsing in bed, on the toilet etc. I'll grant that the keyboard occasionally gets in the way when all you want to do is read an ebook, but the flexibility of having one, in my opinion outweighs the inconvenience of not. At the moment, I'm actually also coding on the bloody thing and designing some artwork. When I can code on a tablet, I'll buy one I reckon ;)

Wait a bit and see what happens, I would think.

2. RichyS
    Thumb Down

January, riiiiight...

It's taken bloody ages for anyone to finally ship tablets based on Android 2.x, despite the fact that we've seen the hardware demod for ages now.

What makes anyone think that LG, Samsung, etc. will receive 3.0 sometime in December, turnaround the testing, make any necessary changes, and start shipping product in less than a month?

I suspect we'll only start seeing credible (i.e. not no-brand Chinese tat) 3.0 tablets at the end of Q1 2011. Or pretty much an entire year since the iPad was announced.

1. James Hughes 1

That's the release date

Would put money on these manufacturers having access to prerelease version to get their HW up to speed.

3. hyartep
    Megaphone

gingerbread or honeycomb?

as far as i remember, lenovo said they wait for honeycomb for their tablet, not gingerbread

4. Nick Woodruffe

January....

Just in time for the Apple announcement a month later for iPad 2.

1. Nuno
      WTF?

So what?

iPad 2 will be an hardware device, GingerBread will be an operating system.

That is like bitching Win 7 (or whatever OS) saying: "Oh, but apple is already going to deliver the new Mac Air 2!".

Get a grip...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like