back to article HP unwraps Palm Pre 2

HP has formally taken the wraps off WebOS 2.0 - due to ship in the Palm Pre 2 at the end of this week. Unsurprisngly, perhaps, the smartphone will debut in France on the SFR network - from which details leaked a week or so back. HP promised a North American release "in the coming months", but there was no word of releases …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton 1
    WTF?

Unfinished ?

In what way is the Flash 10.1 player 'unfinished' ? What doesn't work ?

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Linux

Was noted in the press release

Flash 10.1 is supported on a limited basis as "beta". Not the worst of offenses, but given the worries about Flash usage in general, I'll be staying away.

2. MarkOne
    FAIL

Does it run Android?

Otherwise, i'm out....

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Some things never change

Palm's PDAs were stuck in 160x160 pixel land for years. They had to double the resolution to 320x320 when they wanted to progress.

Seems the Pre 2 is stuck with an entry level screen, which will make browsing a bit fiddly. Don't they ever learn? HP are going to fail if they don't bring the hardware up to scratch.

4. Nate Amsden

verizon launch partner

from the looks of the tech specs verizon will be the carrier in the U.S.

5. Gil Grissum
    Grenade

Yawn

The hardware won't be up to scratch until 2011. Meanwhile, Apple will release a new iPhone and perhaps AT&T will allow another decent Android Smartphone from HTC onto the network, giving me at least three decent phones to chose from when it's time to upgrade.

6. Malcolm 1
    WTF?

Carriers

They really need to ditch the "exclusive carrier" thing too - I'd have considered a Pre for my last upgrade as the OS looks really nice, but I'm not going to jump ship to O2 to do so.

7. semprance

Good, I will certainly be getting one

Best mobile OS I've ever used. Crappiest hardware I've ever used but I guess that's the nature of trade-offs. Having a fantastic homebrew community helps too.

8. Jay 2
    WTF?

All very well but...

...will anyone care enough to buy it?

9. Robert Hill
    FAIL

"Tons of FUN???"

Hard to see that, even though they quote it a lot on their website. Of all of the smartphones out there, this has the lowest resolution screen, underpowered graphics, and a second rate games developer community. It isn't good for games. With that screen resolution, it isn't good for media.

Short answer - it is THE least fun smartphone on the planet, short of a BlackBerry Bold - which is at least honest about it's business bias. The Palm is still a "personal organizer" first and foremost - the problem is that that market has been subsumed into the much larger smartphone market, and now people expect one device to do a lot of things well...not just keep them organized.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like