back to article EMC in Isilon 'takeover talks'

EMC is in exclusive talks to buy Isilon, according to the New York Post. The NY Post is not the usual place to go for financial scoops, but the report sounds sensible. Such a purchase would fill a hole in EMC's product line-up, the EMC that sponsors the annual IDC reports about the gazillions of bytes of information being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Cube
    Stop

Please EMC leave Isilon alone

They are a good company innovating in an arena full of overpriced shite from the era of Brunel and Stevenson punted out by corporate monoliths whose R&D spend has been replaced decades ago with sales commission spend.

Please EMC, don't buy Isilon and strangle a nice disruptive technology. We know it won't develop any more after acquisition, we certainly know that it will go from undermining the horrific overspend customers are still tricked into on your big iron to supporting that money pit.

Just leave it alone and let storage out of the 19th century, at least let Isilon get the industry off coal and onto electricity to run storage.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Go for it, EMC

Go for it, EMC, take another small storage player out of the market place. That will pretty much leave BlueArc as the only vendor in the marketplace with unique and innovative stuff.

3. Platypus
    Grenade

Nothing?

EMC has nothing in the scale-out NAS space? Look, I worked on MPFS at EMC and developed a more-than-healthy loathing for the Celerra group. The Celerra might not scale out as much as the Isilon stuff, but it's architecturally not that dissimilar and it scales out plenty far for most folks. To say that EMC has *nothing* is simply inaccurate.

That said, I hope this rumor is not true. I had the privilege of working with Isilon gear and Isilon people some at my last job. I came away impressed, and it would be a serious shame if Isilon fell into the hands of the Celerra thugs. The likely outcome is that they'd pick over the technology for the few nuggets of IP that will solve their current self-inflicted problems, claim that the problems never existed and that they invented the IP themselves, then throw the rest along with all of the people in the trash. It would be an ignominious fate for such fine folks as Isilon has.

1. Mr Atoz
      Terminator

Celerra is still a weekling

You are correct that Cellerra might not scale as much, but they are not even close to what Isilon and BlueArc can do. When you're talking that kind of scale, performance is pretty important and I think that's where the Celerra architecture falls apart.

I'm sure that EMC will take the IP they want and discard the rest. It is too bad for the general employees at Isilon, I hope they have a good stock purchase plan. No doubt that it will be good for BlueArc.

.....no significance to the picture....just liked it better than the others.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Any news on Oracle buying EMC for $40 a share...?

Regardless of how you view Oracle owning a hardware vendor, it's still a very good price for the remaining 90% or vmware....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like