back to article Opera, Oracle and Qualcomm join WAC ranks

The Wireless Application Community, operators' last weapon against third-party app stores, has signed up another 32 members, including some familiar names. Most of the new members are network operators, which shouldn't be a surprise as the WAC is supposed to be operator driven, but it seems that 11 of them were waiting before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. xperroni
    Thumb Up

Go WAC go!

It's heartwarming to hear the WAC is getting support at such a wide scale. I have recently spent a couple weeks working on a proof-of-concept mobile widget for the BONDI platform (the other mobile applications standard borged by WAC alongside JIL), and I loved it. As it's mostly web programming with a couple extra Javascript API's, there is virtually no learning curve; it's also very portable, as whatever extensions you use can be abstracted into a Javascript file and swapped out when you want to run it on a desktop browser (which I actually did, as a shortcut during development).

Since both BONDI and JIL managed to get shipped into actual feature phones before their somewhat forceful merger, I'd say there's a definite chance we'll see WAC-enabled phones in the wild sooner or later - and I say the sooner the better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like