back to article Hackers claim to pwn Conservative Party website

Hackers claim to have pwned the official website belonging to the UK Conservative Party. Details on the 4chan website, where they discussed the supposed attack, were sketchy, but they claimed the site was vulnerable to a SQL injection exploit. An email to The Reg claimed the site had been defaced, but at time of writing, there …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. H3N0451

The fact that

every local Conservative site seems to be down at the moment suggests that this is more than a hoax. As I understand it, accessing the main Tory CMS allows access to all the local sites too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Yep

Saw it happening after getting linked to it from another forum. It seemed to be the regional Tory sites that were getting hammered. A bit like the US public library CMS incident last year.

The other archived threads and screen shots show that it was a pretty bog standard SQL injection attack. The defacement seemed to be limited to what the /b/tards could do through the CMS interface.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

4chan links

Entirely depends on the boards as I've pointed out before only about a third of the boards are nsfw

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4chan link

That link will be gone within a couple of hours.

Here's an archive:

http://green-oval.net/cgi-board.pl/g/thread/13743995

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

What's the story, Tory?

Hack away guys, feel free.

5. TonyHoyle

Story?

Someone tells you they've hacked a website. There's no evidence, except a log file that could have been faked. Not only do you believe them, you print a story about it.

Slow news day?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

And not forgetting ....

http://www.liberaldemocrats.co.uk/ has been appropriated for a video of the Gleggeron repeating his university tuition fee promises. Though that smells of an inside job by disgruntled LibDems than hackers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These links were found on B3ta.com

img163.imageshack.us/i/1287179322305.jpg/

img121.imageshack.us/i/1287179501145.png/

img691.imageshack.us/i/1287179531454.jpg/

img816.imageshack.us/f/1287179566798.jpg/

img197.imageshack.us/i/1287179697961.png/

img833.imageshack.us/i/1287179767880.png/

img412.imageshack.us/f/1287181722205.jpg/

1. Anonymous Bastard
      Flame

And as we know

B3ta has NEVER shown a faked picture in it's experience

1. blackworx
        Pirate

Re: And as we know

Considering they appear to match up with the screencaps being posted in /g/ at the time of the attacks, I don't see much reason to believe they are fake. What would be the point?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

b3ta

has NEVER faked a picture without adding a huge crudely drawn cock to it.

Try crossing your eyes and looking at it or something- if it's faked by a b3tard, there'll be one there...

8. Tron Silver badge

pics...

...or it didn't happen.

9. Michael Chester
    Big Brother

I saw this

Was on /links on B3ta when it was happening, and someone posted a link to the thread as it started

It was a trivial SQL vulnerability, from (rough) memory, typing

') OR ('1' = '1

(quotes may be in the wrong place, don't know any SQL) into the password field was said to allow access (didn't try it myself)

Various defacements, from the subtle (a couple words added in to completely change the meaning of a paragraph) to the.... less so (putting nazi logos up everywhere and having a large bit of text saying **** you). Mainly the latter once someone posted the vuln on /b/.

Unfortunately, this being the internet, where things are easy to fake, and the Conservatives unlikely to be forthcoming on this (would have been more public if 4Chan had done it middle of the UK day), posts like this and the screen caps above are likely to be the best you'll get.

10. Richard Sloan
    Happy

Links

Yep, it happened, I was watching it happen, took several screenshots myself of what they were doing to the site and archived 3 different threads on 4chan, as well as saving other people's scxreenshots posted.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

newtonabbotconservatives.org.uk

not conservatives.com, there must be thousands of similar basic local websites that can be hacked through the process of

Scan site for basic weakness and older versions of software, if they aren't faking them

Google for vulnerabilities

Copy paste example and see if it works

Hack the internets

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

B0u6ht

Why don't they just buy the Conservative Party like everyone else? Pretty pointless really.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Still down?

Looks like many of the conservatives websites are still down. They seem to be keeping pretty quiet about it, maybe they need some help but are too shy to ask.

This topic is closed for new posts.