back to article Genuine white iPhone 4 spied in wild

Want a white iPhone 4? Then find yourself a buddy at Apple's Cupertino campus. That's how one - probably the only - lucky US punter got his. The unnamed gent was spotted waving his white one around at an event in New York last night. A flabberghasted Geek.com reporter asked him where the heck he got it, assuming no doubt - as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Megaphone

"Hello? HELLO?!"

There was a suggestion (made by El Reg, if memory serves) that the white one would actually allow calls without first insulating one's fingers from the aerials. Any news on that?

In fact, any news on whether new black ones actually make phone calls without a condom? Despite attempts of persuasion to the contrary the (technically illiterate) other half wants one.

2. Benedict

Don't get it

What's so special about white? If they made a white one then brought out a black one people would go nuts for that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

There isn't.

But fanbois are a special breed. So whatever makes them happy I suppose...

3. Velv
    Flame

White

Typical fanbois. More interested in the colour of the handset then whether it works or not :)

<flame suit on>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yes but...

...are the aerial problems fixed and does it break its glass as easily as the black version?

(puts on flame-proof coat and cowers in a corner)

5. MKT

Err, I've seen one in central london...

Just last week, me and my girlfriend were walking from bank to fenchurch street station and saw a bloke using a white iphone 4. And not in a white case either for the detractors.

6. Carl Deaker

Mr Fry?

Was the "The unnamed gent" Stephen Fry?

http://www.t3.com/news/t3-gadget-awards-stephen-fry-touts-white-iphone-4?=49917

7. Loki23
    Jobs Halo

Stephen Fry has one...

He showed it off recently at the bookreading in the South Bank (the one that was broadcast to 60 cinemas). He did seem quite smug about it... Lucky git.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Stephen Fry has one...

That makes me want one even less than I did before.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Stephen Fry

Stephen Fry always looks smug, how can you be sure it was about the white iPhone?

8. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

For Jobs, black seems such an appropriate colour

The colour back seems to be an eminent colour choice for most anything associated with Jobs. White proclaims innocence and purity, hardly qualities that spring to mind when thoughts of fruit-land and their domineering leader are in mind.

Of course, this might be the reason why it has taken such an inordinate time to achieve a white Lemon, which will undoubtedly become discoloured through exposure to the environment and usage.

It will be interesting to see if Apple has used the time between the release of the Lemon 4 and it's virginal edition to actually improve it's functional failures that are months and months old.

9. Red Dwarf
    Go

Stephen Fry has one apparently

I saw Stephen Fry recently at an event to help launch his new book. When he was getting toward the end of his talk he got a buzz in his pocket to let him know that time was almost up, and he whipped out a white iPhone, and claimed it was the only one in Europe.

1. Tempest
      Thumb Down

Apple often gives freebies to personalities

People should remember that thousands of freebie fruit samples are given out to people like Fry, as well as other personalities, who the greater buying public seek to emulate.

When Jobs copy-cat tablet hit retail all the A-list types had received their freebie samples so they would 'spontaneously' gush over the benefits of the latest fruits. From night shows through business channels they were chattering about The Tablet which, of course, generated a fever amongst those amongst us who have to pay the full freight to acquire one.

Next time manna from fruitland is expected, check out the TV shows and see how the chatter precedes the release date.

Cheaper and more effective than even Apples advertising channel.

1. Player_16
        Jobs Halo

Yep, and it's true...

...talk is cheap.

2. Ivan Headache

OK. I'll bite.

What's this 'copy-cat tablet'?

Would you care to explain what it's a copy of? I've seen nothing that resembles it - except for the copies that were launched after the iPad was announced.

3. g e

seek to emulate?

In (You there! That Boy!) Fry's case you need an IQ of 20 million and an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything just to get started ;o)

(Or a team of QI researchers permanently on hand ;o)

10. h4rm0ny
    Paris Hilton

Marketing!

This is hilarious. Buy a phone from most companies and you can pick a range of colours. Apple makes a selling point of not offering a choice and then implying that they might soon allow a very limited choice.

Paris, for we seem to be living in the age of image.

1. D@v3

really??

apart from the nokia's that let you change the covers (which of course you had to buy separately) i'm pretty sure i've never had a phone that was available in a range of colours. I have seen the occasional model that is different colours from a different providers, but that's hardly a range, is it?

11. g e

That's nice!

I knew it'd happen. They made an iphone that finally looks like my 18-month old HTC Magic. Not quite as nice mind you but hey, points for admitting Google had it right a year & a half ago ;o)

LOL

(watch the fanbois Pavlovian bite response)

1. Goat Jam

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I suppose but the HTC Magic looks like a generic piece of plastic crap to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like