back to article Sir Norman Wisdom dies at 95

Sir Norman Wisdom died yesterday at the age of 95, the BBC reports. A family statement said: "Sir Norman Wisdom has today passed away at Abbotswood Nursing Home on the Isle of Man. Over the last six months Norman has sustained a series of strokes causing a general decline in both his physical and mental health. "He had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon B
    Heart

A comedy genius

Another true star gone. A comedy genius. Rest peacefully Norman.

2. Cazzo Enorme

What The Human League said ...

"Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times"

1. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

@Cazzo Enorme

I must say that signing your messages with a signature that reads "giant cock" (and with cock not meaning a bird) gives quite a lot of weight to your input to this board.

I am sure there must be an IT angle in a big cock.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Cazzo Enorme

Some people will believe anything their mum tells 'em.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Norm pioneered taking on the 'man'

Love his films. I Still think The Early Bird was copied without the laugh's by Rambo First Blood .

4. Steven Jones

Don't foget the serious side...

It shouldn't be forgotten that Norman Wisdom won a BAFTA in a TV drama called "Going Gently" playing a terminally ill cancer patient. Judy Dench played a nurse, and Fulton Mackay a fellow patient.

Like many a clown, Norman Wisdom could also play tragedy as those two sides are perhaps not so far apart. No coincidence that all three starring characters were/are known for their comedic roles.

5. LuMan
    Unhappy

Very sad.

I remember watching his films when I was a youngster. Even now I get a lump when I remember him singing "Don't laugh at me 'cos I'm a fool."

God's speed, Norman. Keep the Big Guy laughing up there.

6. Steven Jones

Oops

Oops - it was Judy Dench who won the BAFTA, in "Going Gently", but Norman Wisdom's performance critically very well received.

7. Connor
    Unhappy

Sad.

Many happy memories of watching his films with my Grandad (who looked like him) in the school holidays laughing our heads off! Brilliant performer and always a true gent.

RIP.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Real Comedian For The People

Rest in peace Norman.

9. JB
    Happy

"Mr Grimsdaaaale!"

Very sad to hear this. He did do alot more than those films, like others have said. I well remember seeing all the films in the school holidays back in the 80s, some wer good, but others were a bit too mawkish for my taste, but still very well made. I also remember hearing him in a very nice light sitcom on Radio 2 about 20 years ago.

I remember hearing it reported that when he was suffering from dementia in his final years, and couldn't recognise himself in his own films. How sad is that?

He will be missed, but at least we have his films and other work.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many, many memories

But I still think "get my Ascot?" is my favourite.

Oh and can I just say...

"Mister Grim Reaper, Mister Grim Reaper!"

11. Blue eyed boy
    Happy

Perhaps the Albanians thought

that Honorable Sir Norman was a real British diplomat.

Though my favourite bit (can't remember the title of the film) was when he took a double part as a German officer during WW2, and the bungling British spy sent to impersonate him. Compare the two performances of Schubert's "Ungeduld" ("Impatience"), a particularly difficult song, perfectly as the German officer, hopelessly muddling his way through it as the spy.

Get the angels laughing up there Honorable Sir Norman.

12. Cunningly Linguistic
    Dead Vulture

RIP a master...

...from a more innocent age.

Now if someone would re-release all his movies on blu-ray...

13. Chas
    Unhappy

A true genius

I remember years ago working as a follow-spot operator on a Royal Variety show where Norman was doing a turn. During the rehearsals, he went through the routine "marking" it for the cameras and the stage techs. It was about as funny as watching an Albanian party political broadcast - loads of us backstage though the old boy had lost it completely.

Come the actual performance, he does exactly what he'd done in rehearsals... and it was utterly hysterical. I then understood why he was such a genius - his mastery of comic timing was incredible. We even got a telling off from the stage manager for laughing so much that it drowned out other people on the headset intercom.

Bless you, Norman. You will be sorely missed! Favourite film: Follow A Star.

=:~)

14. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Norman's death closes a chapter of entertainment history

Norman Wisdom's death extinguishes the galaxy of British stars with whom he performed, many now sadly departed, which included Hattie Jacques, Margaret Rutherford, Michael Caine, Oliver Reed, Alfred Marks, Susannah York, Fenella Fielding, Honor Blackman, Leslie Phillips, Joan Sims, Diana Dors, Gilbert Harding, Terry-Thomas, Millicent Martin, Richard Briers, Bernard Cribbins, Michael Bentine, Harry H. Corbett, Stanley Holloway, Wilfrid Hyde-White and even Britt Ekland.

What set Norman's humour apart from that of today - he never resorted to smut.

It's hard to believe he was born during World War 1 and was still acting, in 2007.

BTW, this is the second time Norman has died for on 28 December 2008 Sky News announced that Wisdom had died!

R.I.P. Norman, you left people with happy memories and a smile in their hearts.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Sky News

Yeah, the Sky thing was a classic example of a journalist (and I use the term in its loosest sense) believing what they read online and not bothering to check the story before rushing to press or in this case screen.

The internet can be a powerful research tool if it's used correctly, but in this case it wasn't.

2. Tezfair
      FAIL

not all are dead

Half of your list are still alive.

15. Pete Spicer
    Unhappy

RIP

I fear we shall never see his like again.

16. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Great performer

Great person too.

17. Kamal Hashmi

Flowers for Algernon?

Wasn't it Norman Wisdom who starred in the TV version of the short story "Flowers for Algernon"?

This topic is closed for new posts.