back to article RIM gets another Indian reprieve

India won't ban BlackBerrys until next year, allowing RIM another three months to arrange lawful intercept, though the decision is not the good news it sounds. RIM's problem isn't time, it's the impossibility of providing a solution acceptable to politicians keen to be seen doing something, and enterprises reliant on RIM's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The really dumb part in all of this

Is that terrorists already have been known to encrypt messages and use stenography in email attachments, which thwart thee interception efforts. What this is really about is the intelligence services wanting to intercept lawful communications. Notice this is coming mostly from countries that really don't have Rule of Law due to their enormous levels of corruption.

1. Annihilator
      Paris Hilton

Or

They're only trying to catch really stoopid terrorists.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

posting anon...

I suspect the real target of all this is not terrorism but the party-in-power wanting to snoop on their rivals as well as the major industrial houses. Not to mention pesky journalists, because we still have press freedom, gobs of it, and the only way to fix that is to find something against the journo, or his editor, really, who has the scoop on you.

2. Bill Gould
    WTF?

Why go to RIM

If RIM will provide access the emails funneled through their BES's, just go to the companies with BES's and ask for lawful intercept access to those as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How does this work when..

..I have a corporate blackberry with internal BES servers in the UK. If I travel to India, should I be switching off the mail service if I'm concerned with my companies security? Inquiring minds etc.

1. Andrew Woodvine

Re: How does this work when.

The data is still encrypted between the BES and the Blackberry device so there's no need to switch the mail service off - it's just as secure as using your Blackberry in the UK (or anywhere else).

4. David Kelly 2

Whats next?

Be sure to tune in next week when India petitions God for a "lawful means" to intercept prayers. :-(

Can't have terrorists harboring private thoughts, can we?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like