back to article Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

The central story of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is one accustomed to poetic licence and dilution. The original 16th Century Chinese novel Journey to the West was itself an amalgamation of supernatural fables based loosely on a 7th Century Buddhist monk's pilgrimage to India. Centuries later, in 1942, a heavily abridged …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nat Pryce

Narrative games are always disappointing

Dumbly following someone else's linear plot just makes for a dull game. A good game creates situations that the *player* wants to tell stories about. There's a huge difference between a story writer and a game designer. Both are fine art forms, but why do story writers think they can just write a story in game-form and it will become a good game?

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Joke

"Croak down and had to be toad"

Very poor. In an amusing kind of way.

3. jai

shame

such a shame as the concept of a post-apocalyptic version of the Monkey story sounded awesome

they should have got Rhianna Pratchett to do the writing - she worked on both Risen and Heavenly Sword with Serkis and although the Heavenly Sword gameplay got a bit repetative, the story and dialogue was highly entertaining and kept you going to complete it.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Not to mention

the very entertaining Overlord games.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rhianna Pratchett

I don't know, I thought her work on Mirror's Edge was awful. I'm not sure how much of the story and characters were her fault and how much was foisted on her by the developers, but I thought the totalitarian regime running the city was incredibly cliched and the characters all stereotypes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"first videogame translation" of Journey to the West?

The Japanese/Chinese/Taiwanese have been making them since the 80s. This is possibly the one with the ugliest characters though.

5. CypherCookie
    Grenade

still a nice game to play.

Yes everything that was said in the review is true however i found it really playable and is one of the few games i've managed to sit down and just play through constantly! I don't think it is worth buying as i completed it in like 2 days, however i think it is at least worth a rent! Admitidly i didn't want to trade the game back in 2 days after buying but when the dust settles i probably won't play it again! still a nice little game to get gamer points on! i managed to grab 840 from this game alone! :)

This topic is closed for new posts.