back to article Windows Phone 7: handsets, operators compared

Following yesterday's launch of Windows Phone 7 and Microsoft's various operator and hardware partnership announcements, here's Reg Hardware's guide to the devices and suppliers that will be debuting the new smartphone OS when it debuts here on 21 October. Handsets available in UK How the specs compare Windows Phone 7: Specs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim Coleman
    Unhappy

Hmmm...

You've got two of the phones down as having SD card slots but I was given to understand Microsoft had forbidden removable SD cards???

Also, are none of these phones going to be available sim-free? I don't purchase phones on contract out of principle - I hate been tied down (oo-er). For me it's sim-free or bust.

Bust, then.

PS It's a shame none of them have more than 16GB of storage.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hmmm...

Specs we've seen suggest both may have memory card slots. We're awaiting confirmation - or a denial - from both Samsung and Dell, and we'll update the table if necessary when we get it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

winmob reviews

I haven't yet seen a single review that details the useful stuff:

. What's the calendar like?

. What's the contacts like?

. What's the email client like?

. How well does it sync with standard OSX, Windows and Linux calendar/contacts?

1. dogged
      Flame

implying

>> implying there's anything standard about OSX

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

OSX is more 'standard' than Windows

That's funny, why do you think Windows is any more standards compliant?

Mac Mail client uses MBOX format for storing mail. OSX uses CUPS for printing. The kernel was started as a project at a University. It has a Bash console.

It's a Unix OS for gods sake. Microsoft's OS is the proprietary OS.

Have a look at all the Open Source code in OSX.

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

2. leexgx

calendar

if they have messed up the calendar i stick with my HTC HD1 (mite get the HD2 as the HD1 is an bit under powered) as it works Very well (when HTC touch flow is off Both phones) as i use that one for Purely business use (phone and calendar)

also interested if it still has Microsoft exchange as well (so i can use m.google.com sync)

I have an HTC desire as my backup phone so that's my fun phone but i hate the calendar on it the day does not update as you move the wheel when adding one (Blackberry's do but google sync bit iffy with it), (business emails and google email, internet {Opera}, video , games and so on) so i do not really need an win7 phone unless it does better

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

reviews

There are plenty of reviews & demos on YouTube.

From what I understand, the calendar is very good with a miniminist look, the contacts are pretty good (now they added selective Facebook contacts rather than all)

The email client is also very good, although lacking some features like unified inbox, threaded messaging (like Gmail) and doesn't support Gmail labels. The first two have been hinted at as being address via software update and only excluded due to lack of time to write the code. As for Gmail labels, I wouldn't count on them any time soon. I believe the top features of email are multiple message management (i.e. selecting/moving/deleting more than one at a time, and also the pivots allowing you to easily swipe through all, unread & flagged messages

The common theme with all 3 is they integrate back to the "cloud/server" if you add FB, Hotmail. Gmail, Exchange and I think Yahoo.

But take a look for yourself, as what I think is pretty good may turn out to be crap for you.

3. Dave Fox
    FAIL

Carrier Exclusives

I base my choice of mobile phone carrier on coverage, reliability, and cost, in that order!

Making handsets exclusive to particular carriers is never going to make me switch operator - all it's likely to do is push me further down the path of buying the phone I want and switching to PAYG or a non-contract SIM only deal.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title Goes Here

Yep, it allows for SD Cards - but they can not be switched during use. See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/basics/sd-cards-and-my-phone.aspx

From that page, one quote that really makes no sense to me is "Windows Phone uses a special high–performance SD card that works differently from SD cards in other devices."

From what it says in the rest of the article, it sounds more likely (pure speculation) that they mean it formats the SD card into a special file system that is encrypted and set up to distribute the data with the internal storage. Switch a card on that and watch data go bye bye.

Any chance of me getting one of these went out the window when T-Mobile opted not to stock the HD7. The Omnia looks interesting, but I'll be moving from Windows Mobile (for the last 4 years) to Droid and the HTC Desire HD.

If Microsoft do still have a mobile platform at my next upgrade, I'll look in again, but in many ways, it's too much of a risk to buy into. Making a phone choice for the next 18 months / 2 years involves a degree of peeking into the future, and with such a new OS... I suppose I'm saying I'll look again after SP1.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So, which one will joe public buy...

Turns out its the iPhone...

better luck next time Mr. B.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Two uncertainties

Possibly. iPhone is certainly the "low risk" option. It's around, people have them in their hand and have their opinions (both positive and negative).

With WP7 you have two uncertainties at present, firstly the OS, will you like it, does it work well etc.. and the other is the hardware. Do you know if they handsets are any good?

I think it will be a slow few first months, lack of apps will hurt at first.

6. D. Suse
    FAIL

What to buy?

WHY would I suddenly use my hard-earned money to BUY a phone running Microsoft software? Right, after the Kin failure, everyone is supposed to now line up for the privilege of giving Microsoft their money?

Based on the "security" (NOT) of their other software, just imagine what hackers will be able to do, combining 1-900 numbers and your Microsoft-powered phone. $10,000 phone bills, anyone?

1. PaulStevo
      FAIL

Comment Fail

Gotta love people comparing products that don't really relate. Let's get some real world reviews before actually shooting the product down with the usual MS + Security lines..... Did any of the other windows mobiles fall to a "1-900" scam? I'm not aware of any.

The first round of hardware is somewhat uninspiring to me, but then so sadly was the iPhone 4. I expected more from the 4th gen phone in terms of the camera option, same as with these devices. Granted one offers a 8mp camera with xenon flash, awesome just what i'm looking for. Oh wait, only 8gb storage with no expansion option? Sigh.

For all it's faults my N97 has been a great all roounder with good image quality and bags of storage thanks to the 32gb card slotted into it giving me a replacmeent iPod, decent on the go camera with a flash that works in the dark for the most part. There's little in the current wave of phone's that really enhances this middle ground "all in one" device. Looks like it's probably the N8 for me, which hopefully will have somewhat more stable software with the new symbian OS arriving on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coffee/keyboard

Please Miss Bee, the dog ate my title

"Granted one offers a 8mp camera with xenon flash, awesome just what i'm looking for."

So a 12mp camera would be even more awesome? And a 16mp camera twice as awesome?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like