back to article MS pledges Windows Phone 7 '1.1' update early 2011

Microsoft's WinPho 7 isn't even out yet - handsets go on sale in ten days' time over here - but the company has already announced the OS' first update. The version number is unknown, but the patch will be pushed out early in 2011 and bring copy, cut and paste to the smartphone operating system. There's no word yet on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

Let me translate

"MS to apply single-sided adhesive dressing to repair rupture of carotid arteries."

That about right?

2. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

OMG!!!!

They are copying Apple, right down to what gets released 'After the fact.'

The competition can sleep easy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Version

"The version number is unknown, but the patch will be pushed out early in 2011 and bring copy, cut and paste to the smartphone operating system."

The version will be RC1.

Yes, that green one with the Android on the back.

4. JaitcH
    FAIL

In other words MS rushed yet another unfinished OS to market, as usual

This is really an insult to the intelligence of consumers, Once again, following in the tradition of Windows PC, MS is already preparing a patch to complete the job that should have been done before they even released the OS.

Need a better reason not to buy Win7?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: In other words MS rushed yet another unfinished OS to market, as usual

There hasn't been a single smartphone OS that *hasn't* required prompt patchwork to be applied to version 1.0.

In fact, WinPho is more complete than many 1.0 OSes I've seen.

2. aThingOrTwo

Constant iteration beats big bang releases

I think this is the reality of software. It's never finished.

If you try to dot all the i's and cross all the t's for version 1.0 you end with a Vista.

Microsoft have learnt this the hard way.

5. Martin Lyne

Wow

Wow, they really ARE copying apple!

Who the fuck would buy a WM phone that doesn't copy and paste? Seriously? Do you need a better example of how this is yet another half baked idiot release from MS?

Just leave this market MS, you're not welcome here.

"Smart"phone ha!

6. Ryan 7

That'll be

v7.1 then...

7. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    FAIL

so

a feature that "regular" Windows has had since the days when it was a DOS command isn't part of the Windows Phone system, inspite of how MS is saying WinPho 7 is so wonderful and will make rainbows and unicorns appear at will? And they thought "Oh, lets leave cut-n-paste for the first service pack. It's a difficult concept that we've never seen in the Windows code base before". And that seemed like a good idea?

It makes WinPho7 look like a wad of used bubble-gum when something relatively basic like cut-n-paste has to be added via a service pack.

8. Chad H.
    FAIL

Typical MS...

Launch today... Fix tomorrow. They're a leading IT company beacuse?

9. Charles Manning

Around September then

Translation of MS calendar

Early in the year: September

Middle of the year: December

Late in the year: April of next year

10. Wibble
    WTF?

Won't be many people downloading that...

Apart from Microsoft apologists such as Paul Thurrott, there won't be many people downloading this patch as Microsoft are so late and we've already got our smartphones. I'm on my third iPhone and I've many friends on their second Android phone.

WTF is a zone anyway?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Der Titel ist erforderlich und muss Buchstaben und / oder Ziffern enthalten.

So still to come we have an update to add MMS, proper SMS handling, a fix for antenna problems and an issue with the proximity sensor.... not to mention delivery recepts (still not present on the "real" iPhone). :-)

Do any of these new Windows 7 phones support 3G or have removable batteries? :-)

12. Bilgepipe

Unfinished

So it's not finished, then, at launch. Should go well.

13. Matt_payne666

wtf?!

Ok, so a function that windows mobile has had since day one and which caused such an uproar when apple neglected to include it, is missed out onthe latest Release?!

Please, can someone stop basing thier phones round bloody twitter and facebook and just include USEFUL features!

I used to be a Winmo fanboi, I loved the open-ness of it, the today screen which showed calender apointments, messages and everything in one easy to locate place, the email and exchange client.... etc... yes, you needed a stylus, but everything worked! this new phone requires me to buy a ps3 and get a twitter and FB account to populate the missing squares!! I dont know about some people, but my phonebook and my 'friends' lists are two things that i would like to keep VERY seperate!

i digress, but hell, RANT

14. Julian 3

Vista

Unfinished and late to market OS with promised features missing. Reminds me of Vista!

15. Atonnis
    Unhappy

I'd be OK with it...

...except I hate speak like 'early 2011'. Set a month at the very least and stick to it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like