back to article Commission proposes new EU cybercrime law

The European Commission wants to harmonise the laws of EU member states dealing with cyber-attacks. It wants to create a new Directive on attacks on information systems, it said in a statement. The European Commission adopted a 'framework decision' in 2005 that attempted to coordinate laws across Europe on hacking, viruses and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The end of Windows!!!

" Instigation, aiding, abetting and attempt of those offences will become penalised as well"

"aiding, abetting" = which means botnet computer, which means normal Windows users, which means all Windows users will be arrested, hence

no more Windows!

1. Panix
      FAIL

Titles are stupid

You couldn't be more wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Indeed wishful thinking of me...

How stupid of me! It's much easier of course to just introduce new laws. And while your at it to change all the internet protocols to make the internet centrally controlled by governments.

That's much easier than to let Microsoft make Windows more secure so cybercrime would become much more difficult. Why create a cure, when you can fight the symptoms?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Surely

Surely it would be better to make it a crime to connect safety-critical computer systems to the 'net in the first place?

3. RichardBarrell

Re: Surely

You don't need to connect systems to the 'net for them to become compromised. Stuxnet has spread largely through infected USB sticks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

At what point

would an OS itself become illegal then under this law?

George, because whenever legislators try to create laws like this, rights get thrown out of the window.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was good until...

This sounds about reasonable, up until the point of making it an aggravating factor for someone to conceal their own identity. I find it hard to imagine that this will mean much in the majority of cases. How many criminals don't make efforts to conceal there identity... besides the abundance of innocent people that do so. It would have to be an unusual case for that to make sense, or I am missing something. Most of all I worry that it could move from being a factor in establishing sentencing to a criminalised activity.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Good Luck with that Desperate Exercise in Applied Futility and Losers' Knee Jerk Reactionary Panic

Door horse bolted stable......... ages ago

Don't you think that Earthling Efforts to Police and Control Command of CyberSpace with ITs Unifying Phorms and Phishes/Lode Veins and Node Mines of Rich IntelAIgent Information for Sources InterNetworking Superior Intellectual Support, with their own pathetically slow/dumbed down SCADA Systems, which would be in competition with, or even trying to oppose a Beta HyperRadioProActive Virtual Operating System, with the InterNet and its Global Information Grids as its Personal Quantum Computer and Communications Control System for Global Operating Devices, is a tad pretentious and unrealistically hopeful/hopelessly ambitious?

Why reinvent the wheel?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like