back to article TalkTalk reveals faster broadband plans

TalkTalk has broken cover as the first major ISP with plans to use BT's faster broadband infrastructure. Boss Charles Dunstone said it is preparing packages based on wholesale access to new fibre optics, the FT reports. The move is not surprising, but is good news for BT, which is investing £2.5bn in fibre-to-the-cabinet and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. spegru
    Boffin

Good news for BT

Virtual unbundling removes the need to install equipment.

It's all done via Ethernet VLANs. ISPs can pull those out transparently, somewhere upstream and feed them into their network, unsullied by BT.

Strikes me as being similar to the competitive Gas & Electricity markets, where no-one would dream of laying new gas mains or electricity cables but nevertheless you can buy supplies from Renewables for example, on the basis that the same amount you bought is put into the grid somewhere even if the actual electrons/molecules, or in this case ethernet frames, that arrive in your house may have come from somewhere else.

Not true LLU of course but it does avoid a whole load of expensive digging.

The only problem really is that BT (ok Ofcom) control the price of those ethernet tails

It will be interesting to see how the other access technologies such as FTTH and Wireless compete.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Not what I understand from that article.

The article says they are using the Wholesale product. That isn't VULA. Wholesale would be WB(M)C aka the replacement for IP/DATAStream. That's a definite step back from LLU.

2. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
    Grenade

great :|

I've had four visits from their doorstep salespeople in the last two months. Twenty year-old lads with arrogant attitudes, highly suspect sales patter and badly fitted suits.

In case they're reading, answers below:

1. Yes I am still paying for my internet access.

2. No I don't want a free phone service.

3. No you can't have your "pack" back (whatever that is).

4. It's none of your damn business whether I'm on cable or not.

5. Yes, your colleague did call earlier, we told him to sling his hook as well.

1. Annihilator
      Megaphone

You forgot

6. I don't care if you think I'm mistaken, my current broadband provider is giving me 18Mb ADSL2+, uncapped, no shaping. Yes my line is capable of more than your estimated 6Mb ADSLMax product.

1. Robert E A Harvey
        Heart

Hint?

so who would that be then? Sounds like what I'm looking for

1. Richard 116

Who?

I'm guessing Be/O2

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Go

Another one for them:

6) That noise? It's the pigs, they're a bit hungry at the moment.

GJC

3. Bluenose
    Gates Horns

Not sure what difference it will make....

as an existing TalkTalk customer, I already find that the throughput on my existing broadband link is pathetic in the evening. Wife and I tried to watch Spooks on the iPlayer the other night, 1 hour 20 minutes to watch an hour long episode.

This new idea just means faster tails attached to very slow dogs.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Mr.

Yes, there are capacity problems, but at least they acknowledge it.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/51/121/

Your exchange capacity upgrade date: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/109/149/

4. There's a bee in my bot net

Yawn...

Someone wake me up when I can actually get a useable 100/1000Mbit connection...

40M - thats what BTs 'Infinity' (someone please lend their marketing department a dictionary - unless of course that refers to the amount of milking there is to be had from the product) is offering?!?

I'm guessing that TalkTalks product with only be able to offer the same speed.

Forgive me if I don't get excited.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Well, which?

"Someone wake me up when I can actually get a useable 100/1000Mbit connection..."

100 or 1000? Make your mind up. You do realise that FTTC effectively HAS to be done before FTTP, right? But presumably when FTTP comes along, you'll yawn again and demand 10GigE.

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Coat

Uh oh

Wholesale access? Oh dear. If TT can't afford GEA then it doesn't bode well. Maybe hiding it under the term 'VULA' will help although it sounds more like another hoop to jump through.

Mine's the one with the Vula-Hoola-Hoop in the pocket.

6. Andy ORourke
    Joke

How tempting

to have called it Virtual Unbundled Local Virtual Access instead :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank you sir

I was just going to say the same.

This is definitely competing with Chevy Nova and Zhiguli Model 1 for the "Foot In Mouth Marketing" award.

1. Terry Barnes
        Thumb Down

Nova?

The Nova thing is an urban myth. GM have never attempted to sell a model called Nova in any Spanish speaking market.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

I beg to differ

GM "Nova" was sold in Latin America for many years.

The reading of Nova as No Va hower is indeed an urban myth. It arose long after it was renamed as Corsa.

1. Robert E A Harvey

universal

>It arose long after it was renamed as Corsa.

Which, of course, means "I am a witless yokel who doesn't care what sort of rubbish I drive" in every language on the planet.

7. Cazzo Enorme

Talk Talk?

I wish they'd just hurry up and release another decent album.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Acronyms a go-go here

I'd happy to see VULA interfaced via VNC over a PPoA suspension bridge arrangement and then on to a UPS down the old H'sYF and rammed back up its own AW if it meant FTTC and then FTTH, but I won't HMB and certainly won't expect it to be FOC. IMHO.

Do I sound like a geek now?

Paris. GSOH, and wears the right shag bands too IIRC.

9. Dabooka
    FAIL

If TAlk Talk are reading....

I'd prefer it if you just offered a STABLE service that doesn't drop out constantly and resolved the RDNS issue that you point blank refuse to acknoweldge let alone fix.

After yesterday's dropped connection and nigh on useless Helpline support I think we've finally has enough. We're off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Dabooka

In the same boat... wondering if I'll be able to finish this comment before

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      FAIL

Mr.

The RDNS issue is a right pain in the arse.

For those that don't know, read the whole sorry tale here: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16829

10. A 31

quesaco

il y a trop de lapins dans mon pantalon

11. Dale 3
    Thumb Up

isiZulu

An interesting aside, "vula" means "open" in the isiZulu language (one of the official languages of South Africa). Seems strangely apt; I wonder if they realised.

12. Paul
    FAIL

talktalk prove that there is such a thing as too cheap

I have acquaintances who use talktalk. people who took up their service directly after using dial-up might think it's a good service, but IME it's terrible.

basically it's not possible to provide a reasonably quick internet service for free, talktalk keep costs down by not putting in sufficient bandwidth to cope.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another load of cr@p from BT

I live in a highly populated area in the southeast of England, but BT has told me I will not get a decent connection to the FTTC cabs that are all around me - ever (yes, that's what they said). They said it was something to do with getting a cable to my road from the FTTC cab 35 yards away - it's "too difficult" they said!

The house the other side of my end garden fence is currently enjoying a 20MBS connection but I have to carry on suffering my sub-1 MBS service - that's when it decides not to stop working altogther.

What a bunch of w@n£ers.

I feel better now :-)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Smudge@mcr

no service

ISP's need to start 'investing' in some decent customer service instead of headline grabbing vapour-ware. I really HATE being connected to the third world when my connection goes down(BT) or no one answering at all (Talk Talk).

15. Ted Treen
    Pint

Yeah, but no, but yeah...

Terrific. Oodles of shiny new nuclear-powered (with dilithium crystals) kit in my local exchange, so fast I can read tomorrow morning's news headlines tonight.

Er, hold on a sec - there's no cable TV in our village, and all our phone lines are above-ground-on-poles aluminium cables installed in the early 1960's when Katanga's attempted secession led to a shortage of, and explosion in the price of copper.

I have BT's up-to-8MB deal, and generally attain speeds of 5.5MB, which I consider to be almost miraculous, given the infrastructure.

I can't see that this will make a scrap of difference to me, with many hundreds of yards of Al cable twixt me & the exchange.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

OK I'm a tightwad I admit it, and I'm on TT

I now get up to 7Mb and tbh thats fine I don't need any more. It's stable and given that I live out in the sticks it's OK by me.

If you lot want anything faster then yes by all means you pay for it. My concern though is that if there are too many of you metro types demanding 100Mb then inevitably your going to be stealing bandwidth from the rest of us poor schmo's.

Is this yet more 'Progressive Fairness' where the average bloke in the middle' gets shafted?

Seems to me anything but prgressive and fair.

16. Willum08
    FAIL

Talk Talk Crap

For the past few years I was with Tiscali and because my speed was not too good, I registered in early June with TalkTalk (Tiscali is part of TalkTalk and Carphone warehouse) to upgrade my package and get a better speed. Lots of promises made during telephone registration and was told that there would be 'No Problems', I could keep my telephone number and would be 'up and running in a week or so'.

June went by and nothing, so I phoned TalkTalk 'Customer help' number (an 0845 job). After the ususal 'Press one for ....., press two for ..... etc. and waiting on the line for about 25 minutes listening to what just about passes for 'music', I finally got through to a human being - albeit in Mumbai I think. I explained my situation and after confirming my telephone number and answering 'security' questions, I was eventually told that I was speaking to Tiscali Customer Service and they could not help me - despite having used the TalkTalk telephone number quoted on their website. I was asked to hold, while I was put through to TalkTalk customer service...... More 'music' and another 5 minute wait, after which there was a continuous tone and then the line went dead !! You would have thought that they might have called me back, since they had my telephone number - No chance!

I gave up on the phone 'Help' line and decided to try via email to get a progress report on my update. Over the following three months, I sent around 30 emails to Tiscali/TalkTalk and the only replies I got from several diiferent people were apologies and platitudes but no offer of action to resolve my issue. Basically, Tiscali were saying that the problem lay with TalkTalk and TalkTalk were saying it was Tiscali's problem, so I was getting nowhere fast!!

I then decided to write to their chief executive and the senior director of TalkTalk customer services. I addressed the envelopes to them personally and sent them 'Signed for' delivery. Guess what - not even an acknowledgement of my letters. No surprise there then !

So, I have now ditched Tiscali/TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse and gone with another ISP and I am taking every opportunity I can, to relate my experience with that bunch of CRAP!!

TalkTalk etc. - Avoid them like the plague..............

1. martin4448

good service

i have been a talktalk customer for the best part of two years now and find that the service and broadband speed they provide is second to none. as far as the broadband goes i get very fast speeds at various times of day with very little lag and if i have a problem with my internet connection which has been few and far between they sort it out with the minimum of fuss, all in all a pretty perfect service. i have no complaints whatsoever. keep up the good work talktalk.

17. Giles Jones Gold badge

Speed is useless

What happens is people are offered more speed but the price has to be low as many people just don't use the Internet for downloads. For them it's all about having fast loading websites (which 512kb ADSL was fine for anyway).

So due to low price the download allocation is minuscule. It will be getting to the stage where you can use up your allocation in a day.

18. illiad

groan...

all you **skinflints** who wont pay more than talktalk, you deserve what you get....

Oh, bt?? I'll raise you 50Mb, soon 100Mb, against your **ancient** offer... :P

( you know how to google, right????)

and yes, the problem in UK, is there are too many greedy people who just want to d/l 100's of gigs, and to hell with all the other poor sods who are forced to suffer the problems caused by this greediness, by ISPs having to limit their bandwidth so they do not breakdown or go out of business because of it!!!

Yes, even in France, they do know the value of things, they are conservative with resources, so they already have a MUCH better BB than we do.... they also have much better quality DVD rec/players, mainly due to watching DVDs, not computer crap...

19. illiad

Ted Treen: there is an answer..

Its BT that has stopped this so far - due to Ofcom forcing BT to let 'others' use its cable ducts, and telephone poles, virgin is planning to run *optical fibre* on top of those poles!!

Lets just hope politics and others dont get in the way....

20. illiad

Willum08: they DO know...

.. the phone support is bad... they also know you get what you pay for, and they have very little cash to spare, its good enough for johnny to get his 'net, so other bills can be paid!!

what *intelligent* people do, is use the TT forum, and ask the question there.. you will soon get a very polite reply, solving the problem.. so cool down, leave the 'frantic' stuff to others... :)

21. illiad

ah, tiscali....

exactly HOW long ago was that??? you should know to avoid **anything** that is in the middle of a takeover.. especially when it is oversubscribed & oversold!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like