back to article Everything Everywhere consummates merger

Orange and T-Mobile have have gone from "it's complicated" to "in a relationship" as their customers roam freely between the two networks. The roaming agreement went live on Wednesday, with customers who had preregistered switching automatically to the alternative when their home network was unavailable. Some customers were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Duncan Watts
    Thumb Up

As T-Mobile seems to be bloody awful everywhere...

Personally, I just set my phone to manually connect to Orange and voila! I now have 4 out of 4 bars both at home and at work.

Now I just need a widget to let me swiftly switch between them from the front screen without needing to dig through the menus to allow net when I'm out and about and I'm all set...

2. Neil 57
    Thumb Up

Great

Working very well for me, nice to be able to override choice too and force handset to my near tmob bts :-) . The only thing as orange user, some sms sent to facebook whilst roaming dont leave the handset and fail to send. Only on some fb msg's tho.o well, that will sort soon i imagine.

3. \\\

Running ok here

I signed up, and am enjoying reception in places which I previously didn't have. Strangely, this seems to be inside buildings, as I thought Orange had the poorest building penetration due to their power and frequencies.

It's slightly annoying on Android. You can't seem to favourite more than one network Instead of just roaming freely, when you loose reception, you get offered a list of all available networks and have to click on the one you want. Once back in T-Mobile reception, you have to do a manual scan and reconnect to T-Mobile to get 3G/H back.

Will be interesting how things pan out, as I left Orange for T-Mobile, due to Orange's appalling data tariffs and the lack of Customer Services. Saying that though, T-Mobile has been steadily getting worse over the last year or so.

4. Liam Pennington

But....the name....

I would assume "Everything Everywhere" will be ditched by the spring? It's clumsy and embarrasingly smug.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Stupid Name, Change It

I personally prefer T-Orange or Torange.

As for roaming, I pre-registered and it has worked fine so far. Did have some 3G connection issues inthe first 12 hours, but it's now stable. Manually switching to the next best service is simple (well, at least it is on my Android).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Signed up and ready to go within a minute here

now I just have to find somewhere with a crappy Orange signal

1. Andy ORourke
      Happy

Crappy Orange Signal

Pop round to mine, I can get 1 bar reception if the phone is either in the middle of the coffee table or on the kitchen window ledge otherwise my house is an orange free zone!

7. Bilgepipe
    FAIL

Nearly everything not quite everywhere

Dumbest. Name. Ever.

8. Steve 16
    Unhappy

Nice for voice but not great for data.

Signed up on Wednesday via the T-Mobile web site and was up and running immediately once I responded to the confirmation text.

Yesterday morning, couldn’t get any sort of data connection in the morning on the train to London and although I had a strong HSDPA signal in Victoria late morning/early afternoon, could not connect to the Internet or retrieve emails - collegues had the same prioblem.

Another issue is that if I travel through an area with no T-Mobile signal, I swap to Orange 2G, but don't automagically switch back to T-Mobile should a viable signal become available and therefore have to manually disconnect and reconnect if I want 3G again - not seamless by any means.

9. Badbob
    Go

Everything Everywhere?

Something for nothing and people just like to moan. Availability of network just doubled and I still only pay £20 a month. Works for me.

For the first time ever, I was able to surf t'interweb on Wednesday morning in the "Throne Room" at work as my handset roamed onto T-Mobile UK (it even came with a congratulatory text message for my first domestic roaming experience).

As for the name, as a former Orange employee who witnessed the way France Telecom took over Orange plc (buying the company, floating it, then buying back the remainder) I think it's a safe bet that Everything Everywhere will be just plain old Orange PCS Limited within a few years.

France Telecom put in some cash and Orange UK, Deutsche Telekom threw in T-Mobile UK and had to borrow the cash from FT. So when the time comes to pay it back and D-T can't put in the readies, I reckon FT will just allow them to hand over their 50% of EE, therefore making it a wholly owned subsidiary again. As Orange is now the global brand for almost all FT operations (only sticking with the corporate France Telecom name at the behest of "le gouvernement de la République") it will once again become Orange in the UK.

10. pctechxp
    Joke

@Andy ORourke

Don't you mean it's in Orange Free State

11. Keith Goodhead

Anyone else having divert problems?

As an Orange user who has had lousy reception at home for years it's great to be able to use the phone anywhere in the house!

I had to call CS after my first roaming call though as I was permanently diverted to Answerphone even when back on Orange; after the obligatory 15 minutes queuing she did something and told me to re-boot and the divert went away; result...

...except that now callers aren't diverted to my Answerphone when the phone is off, instead they're getting some T-Mobile message saying I'm temporarily unavailable!

(Two steps forward, one step back.)

1. Shaun 1

Well

On the bright side, you're currently 1 step forward

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like