back to article eBay Meg still chasing California's top job

Ex-eBay boss Meg Whitman only has a paltry $9m left in the pot for spending on her campaign to become Governor of California. Whitman raised a record-breaking $140m for her campaign. But $119m of Meg Whitman's campaign fund came from one donor - Meg Whitman. This breaks the previous self-funding record held by Michael …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey

Governor Jerry Brown

Of California Uber Alles fame?

1. jake Silver badge

@Code Monkey

Yes, that Jerry Brown ... but I wouldn't pay to much attention to the political rantings of Jello "shock people to make a buck" Biafra ... I mean, he DID go to school at UC Santa Cruz, land of plentiful cheep drugs, where a local saying is "The mind is a terrible thing, let's get wasted".

2. Radelix

title

The very same

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bidding for Governor

... is an expensive business.

I didn't know that eBay has a category for positions of political influence...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It'll be so funny If she loses.

I'll be laughing for a week.

4. Dan Hall
    Thumb Down

Can't we just give them both a lethal injection

and start over? Why is the choice down to the governor formerly known as moonbeam and the high bidder from eBay?

My personal preference is to eliminate elections and just pick a citizen at random to fill to post of mayor, governor, representative, senator, president, etc. every four years. I can't believe that random selection could be worse than the current crop of term-serving ignoramuses we have "serving the public" now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its called a Monarchy

A hereditary Monarch is selected at random via procreation. Sometimes you gets a winner, sometimes you gets a loser, but ya never gets a choice.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A solution to California's financial problem

Couldn't they just ebay the governership?

With a buy-it-now for whatever their debt is.

6. Levente Szileszky

God save California from this...

...incompetent fool who blew THREE BILLION on Skype... on Skype. Now that's something on the large scale of stupid, utterly clueless incompetence, isn't?

When eBay sold it they took over BILLION dollar hit, thanks to her "executive skills"... she's actually worse than Fiorina, the glorified PR lady. :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Merkin politics is based on dogma.

Republtards are Hitler, Democretins are Stalin.

8. Eddy Ito

oBoy, eBay bids to counter Moonbeam's light

I say keep the bastards in office until they die but instead vote every few years to adjust their power attitude, you know rolled up newspaper on the snout sort of thing. Everyone loves term limits but it only takes one term to get a full pension and all the "retirement" perks for life. We'll see who wants to be governator when they personally have to rotate shifts with garbage collectors and sewer workers on the midnight shift every other Friday night. "Oh yeah, we got a sewer backedup in line 28 running 3 miles from under the ball stadium to a string of taco joints and sports bars, hey gov you're up."

9. b166er
    Grenade

Yes, that's all very well, Jake, but

I don't pay much attention to the political ramblings of one Roger Waters, but the album Animals (and to a somewhat lesser extent, The Wall, Pro's and Con's, etc) is fucking amazing. So what's your point?

1. jake Silver badge

@b166er

Unfortunately, the adults were discussing politics, not Pop Music.

Pardon me while I book a holiday in Cambodia, you chickenshit conformist.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @b166er

Easy now boys.

10. Mike Hanna

Recurring number

What's significant about £25,900?

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

$25900

Is a very strange amount for more than one person to contribute. Is it some tax fiddle limit?

This topic is closed for new posts.