back to article Mozilla upsets net world order with Bing on Firefox

The Firefox 4 search toolbar will offer Microsoft Bing as an alternative to Google, as Mozilla takes another step towards its traditional nemesis — and apparently hedges its bets against its traditional sugar daddy. As Mozilla announced this morning with a blog post, the latest English-language version of Mozilla's open source …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Doing A Schmidt

That's

A) Using The Onion Router And Firefox

B) Using Yandex.com as the default search engine and depriving UKUSA of Cheap Intel

C) Opening email accounts using TOR, acessing them with TOR only

D) encrypting all of it with GPG

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bing is TOXIC

IMHO

Bing is toxic and I will continue to avoid it like the plague.

1. Adrian Esdaile

Why?

See title.

2. Code Monkey

That's your choice

It's also mine.

If Moz wants to offer another search engine that's fine with me. I'll choose not to use it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Rooly

Hmmmmm Microskoff Bung and Google Snooper.....

bookmark all my fave pages....

Forget everything.

As the latest and greatest fades into history.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Right Decision

I dont like Bing, M$ much either for that matter but this is the right decision

5. Ryan 7

It's Nintendo and Sega

All over again.

6. JB
    Thumb Down

Bing - the world's also-ran advertising engine!

At least Google's ads are easier to ignore and the interface is clean. Bing just looks too flashy, and is an unashamed advertising engine! Good thing you can change it.

(should be a 'Bleaaggghhh' Register bird throwing up icon!)

1. The Other Steve
      WTF?

Bing ... is an unashamed advertising engine!

And Google isn't ? Get in touch via email and let me have your dealer's mobile number, that is some rockin' shit you are smoking over there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

We all know...

that if you google "Google" the internet with stop working, bringing forth the downfall of man, but what happens if you bing "Google" or you google "Bing". I'm far to scared to try and frankly, we need answers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I actually kind of like Bing

...if only because it's not Google. The only major downside is that some features (e.g. image search) don't work with JS turned off. It can also be mildly annoying that Bing applies SafeSearch to standard search, not just images (unless you turn it off). But that brings be to the biggest advantage. Bing seems to lack Google's more subtle and insidious form of censorship: PageRank. I would describe Bing's search algorithm as refreshingly naive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Try Yandex.com

The Russkies proved they are still worth a kopeke. There's also Exalead from France, but they are unfortunately not much better than Altavista was. I would love to use a french engine instead of an american, but I guess the best alternative is still yandex.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bing, Google, whatever

I use Scroogle to avoid the tracking from Google and all I care about is 'can I find the info I want?', not some religious conviction that one is better than the other. It's not often I have to concede that no-one in the web knows what I'm after,, but if Scroogle can't supply a link then I'll go over to Bing or some meta-search engine.

And frankly they've all got silly names.

10. JBH
    FAIL

At first I was outraged by this news...

...And then I remembered that I hadn't used Firefox for ages, and that Microsoft are largely irrelevant these days.

So my revised reaction is... Meh!

1. The Other Steve
      WTF?

Relevancy metric ?

I hate to prick your bubble there, but MS still has 91% * of the desktop OS market. I'm not sure what your particular metric for relevancy is, but since some one in Redmond can push a button and the results will show up on 91% of end users desks within minutes, might I suggest that it's somewhat wonky ?

* http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

(Bonus flamebait, these numbers also show iOS has more users than Linux)

1. JBH
        WTF?

Eh? What?

"MS still has 91% * of the desktop OS market."

Eh? I never said anything to the contrary old chap. Market share does not necessarily equal relevance.

I'm writing this up on a Windows 7 machine, while listening to music through the Xbox. The missus is currently using her XP machine to faff around on Facebook. Lots of Microsoft here! The point is this though - all of these things we could be doing on ANY machine, running ANY operating system, be it Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, or Android etc. The underlying operating system really is irrelevant... which is why Microsoft have to pull moves like this, to try and keep their brand out there.

In this day and age with the world moving online, no single OS has an advantage over another (except maybe in terms of security, but that's a whole other kettle of fish). Sorry, but the days of "My OS is better than your OS" are dying fast... and I bet Steve Ballmer hates that! :D

11. Noons
    Big Brother

alternatives?

After looking around some for other options, I've been happily using http://duckduckgo.com/ as default search engine (on Firefox, as it happens) for several months now. Works as well if not better than its more famous relatives, and, importantly, keeps no search history or leak search keywords.

No money in it for Mozilla, though...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Hmmm...

You realise that duckduckgo also makes use of other search engines like Yahoo?

12. adnim

One doesn't

have to use Bing for search in FF.

Bing can be removed from the search list.

I see no problem other than having to perform several mouse clicks in order to remove Bing and add Scroogle.

If this move helps Mozilla to support its operations financially at the expense of MS, that's fine with me.

13. Daniel 1

There's antitrust to consider, as well

If Firefox is to become financially less dependent upon Google's money, it becomes incumbent upon it to act as if it were a financially independent entity, and avoid accusations of deliberately limiting competition. As an commercial corporation under law (and maker of the second most commonly-used desktop browser in the world) for it to be deliberately not-making reference to Bing could, potentially, have become a matter of litigation.

Microsoft, in its present mood would not have sued, but a lot of the litigation that could take place, in this world, between companies, does not through choice of those companies themselves. Folks can, and do, change their minds, however, and suddenly retrospectively sue, for the actions of another company, based on what they did several years ago, and how it is alleged to have influenced the way other things turned out later on. If things do not go well for Bing (and there is very little reason to suppose that they will, based on past performance) Microsoft's mood could turn very foul, very fast.

14. Andrew 98

Search conundrum

Both Google and Bing are rather good at returning relevant results and both engines require huge and expensive infrastructures to make this happen (paid for by advertisers, the information we provide and companies wishing to know more about their customers).

Monopolies are generally a bad idea and competition helps encourage the big-guys to concentrate and play nice (think IE6). Hopefully Bing will encourage Google in this respect and Mozilla's inclusion of Bing can only help this process.

We can dream of a Mozilla-type native total privacy-protected search engine but making this happen and break-even would be a much more difficult task than producing Firefox itself.

Still, it's nice to dream.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arch enemy?

That's nothing, Opera have had Bing for a while, so if Opera can, anyone can.

1. Code Monkey

Opera

Always first with the dubious features :o)

16. JaitcH
    WTF?

"Bing...offers a user experience that we think users will find ..."

as useful as < www.Cuil.com >.

Guess Mozilla sold out and is getting cash donations from Richmond. Makes you doubt their bona fides.

As long as Bing can be deleted.

1. The Other Steve
      Megaphone

OH MY GOD! THE OPEN HAS COME OUT! THE OPEN!

"Though this is not addressed in the blog post, Mozilla has signed a financial agreement with Microsoft. "The arrangement includes revenue-sharing based on traffic sent from Firefox to Bing's search service,""

What ? You mean the Mozilla foundation takes MONEY??? It doesn't run on unicorn tears ? Well fuck me sideways, who knew ? And I mean it's one thing to take money from the worlds largest meat targeting company, but Microsoft ? THAT'S JUST SICK !!!!!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coffee/keyboard

Unicorn tears!

You owe me a new keyboard. That is all.

17. MJI Silver badge

Not Tinplate trains

That is what a lot of use know of Bing for.

18. Don Mitchell

Choice

Offering choice is good, even though Bing is not usually better than Google. I use it occasionally because it gives different results.

The only things Bing is better at is maps. Probably because MS has been doing that for a long time with their old Streets product. Bing maps are nicer than Yahoo or Google's.

19. Tom 13

Good for Mozilla!

As OSS, they should be vendor neutral. If it helps their cash flow, more power to them. Personally these days I use Ask for personal stuff, Google while at work. Didn't much care for my first look at Bing, but may look at it again one of these days.

20. Stephen Bungay
    Thumb Up

Good business move...

It offers choice to the user and helps diversify (potentially anyway) the revenue stream. If Google revenue drops (for whatever reason) then Bing users can mitigate the damage. I doubt they will replace it entirely.

I don't use Bing or Yahoo. M$ running around trying to buy business is disgusting. Advertise it, let people use it, get feedback and improve it as required. People will let you know if your service is any good.

I hope Mozilla read all the fine print in their contract with Redmond because they've just broken Rule #1: Don't do business with M$.

21. Lewis Mettler 1
    Stop

not Microsoft's first pile of money

Lest we forget that Microsoft paid AOL almost $750 million to have AOL drop the antitrust suit against Microsoft and allow Microsoft to continue its illegal practices. No doubt Mozilla saw some of that. And I doubt that the current deal even approaches a billion dollars.

Microsoft is good as spending money to continue illegal practices designed to restrict consumer choice and use of technology.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like