back to article Buzzword bingo for Microsoft's Oslo

Packing as many buzzwords as possible into a single news announcement might prove you're "on message" but won't disguise the fact your strategy lags every major player in town. And so to Microsoft's Oslo, a project spanning planned server and tools products announced Tuesday using at lest eight well-worn industry acronyms and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Young
    IT Angle

...but on the other hand...

Yes, its true that Microsoft is behind the curve. Having pushed ahead several years ago by being early adopters of XML-centric messaging and integration, and having done some great work on the application of bleeding-edge computer science to the whole subject or process automation, Microsoft has allowed its competitors to win back much of the mind-share through ESB architectures and ever-richer BPM tooling. However, I think there is a another, more positive, perspective. What Microsoft often does best in the enterprise space is to play a long game in which they digest the most important trends in technologies, architectures and patterns, and work out how to bring the value of those trends to a much wider range of users by significantly reducing the cost of initial investment and ongoing TCO. Another thing is that, despite the constant criticisms, they are not afraid to invest in approaches which are 'ideosyncratic', but often well-suited to their own (large and growing) customer base. 'Oslo' represents the next stage (or two) of this endeavour. Remember that in Oslo, the focus is really on the platform as a whole, rather than the individual products that build on that platform. For Microsoft, the service bus(es) and associated technologies will serve to add value to their customers' existing platform investment - so very 'Microsoft', and so very compelling for the majority of their customers. MS is on track to win mind-share back in coming years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Title

Erm - does composite applications mean applications made up of bits of other applications because they couldn't be arsed to be innovative?

Seems to follow the trend Microsoft have been following for a good while now.

*Sigh*

Wish I had the brain to be a programmer, I'd have you turning on your computer and having Bugs Bunny appear on your screen and telling you what temperature it is in your flat before offering to do some research for that article you have to hand in by the end of the week.

Nice thought eh? All controllable by you telling said rabbit what to do in a firm authoritive voice - or a hungover grunt.

3. Geoff Mackenzie

Re: Title

Nice idea, but I believe Microsoft are already the world-leader in Bugs in operating systems, first becoming evident shortly after the system boots and being largely in control of the machine ...

4. Claus P. Nielsen
    Happy

I thought the term was "Bullshit Bingo"

So the concept is that every participant get a "plate" with a variation of buzzwords, that they cross out during a presentation.

If any of the participants get a full plate they should then loudly yell "Bullshit" to get their prize!

5. Steven Raith
    Coat

Re: Re: Title

Would troubleshooting this new OS involve waving a perpetually loaded double barrel shotgun and saying "Shhh, I'm hunting wabbits"?

Sorry, but the thought entertained me for about two and a half seconds so thought I'd share it.

Steven R

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Oslo?

Quote: All Microsoft said is Oslo would move "from a world where models describe the application to a world where models are the application."

... so Microsoft is going to move the capitol of Norway to a whole new dimension.

WELCOME - TO THE WOOOOORLD OF TOMORROW!

Ba-dam... Chiiing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like