back to article Cryptome vows to pursue those who breached site

Cryptome.org was breached over the weekend after miscreants took control of an email account used to manage the a whistle-blowing website, which predates Wikileaks by a decade. Cryptome founder John Young said on Tuesday that he planned to pursue those responsible for the hack, and he suggested his computer system may also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rogerborg

Nothing should be secret!

Except MY email, passwords, personal goat-pr0n collection...

And good luck getting US law enforcement to pursue these oh-so-heinous crimes. I'm suuuure they'll just fall over themselves to help a site that's been giving them cyber-wedgies for 14 years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

One Day This Hacker's Gonna Lose His End

I love the smell of roasted hacker bum hairs in the morning.

3. jake Silver badge

::heh::

This should be a pretty funny slap-fest ... The "anonymous" skiddies should take notes on how NOT to break into stuff ;-)

::puts on pot of coffee & makes toast::[1]

[1] Hey, it's quarter to two in the morning ... far too early for popcorn & beer!

4. JaitcH
    Grenade

Go for it, after you have secured your e-mail (use Hushmail)!

The information Cryptome has provided access to is very useful to see what governments are actually up to.

The measure of their success is the proportional inverse dislike displayed against Cryptome by the US Government and it's agencies.

It might be an idea to sign up for secure Hushmail.com, based in Vancouver, Canada where the government has to get a warrant before they access users e-mail - unlike the US where an investigative agency can simply issue a letter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Yeah, Definitely

Why use GPG if you can use a Public Email Service of a UKUSA country ?

If you still want that retarded thing called privacy, use this:

http://www.gnupg.org/

5. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

My Understanding Of...

...state law in Arizona is that, as an ISP, I must "preserve" customer files/emails on reciept of an official letter, but not release them to authorities until a warrant is issued.

6. Tom Chiverton 1

downloaded 7 Terabytes

He downloaded 7 Terabytes, and no one noticed the prolonged traffic spike ?!? How long did it take to trickle it out then ? Years ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shhh! You're not supposed to tell anybody about that tell-tale marker!

Obviously both he and Cryptome.org are on that super speedy academic/government only backbone where transferring 7 terabytes of data is barely a blip.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Just Wondering...

why Mr Cryptome does use a plain email in box to receive all those "secret" revelations ?

He certainly knows about the interception capabilities of various governments and has to assume his email address and all other unique identifiers are certainly being on their watch lists.

His security practices are simply hilarious.

For starters, I would

1.) receive only gpg-encrypted email and bounce everything else.

2.) suggest leakers use The Onion Router.

3.) Decrypt "raw" material only on a computer disconnected from the net. That makes attacks like this very difficult. The attacker would have to somehow inject a virus and find a way to get the results back.

4.) All "raw" material must of course reside on an encrypted volume, which is safely locked away together with the computer containing the harddisk.

Can I have 10 FAIL images above this post, please ?

1. Mike S

Your assumption is likely false

You assume that John Young (aka Mr. Cryptome) has one and only one email address. Obviously, he could have (and probably does have) other email addresses.

You assume that there was unencrypted material of value stolen (aside from the 7GB accessible on the Cryptome website.) There's nothing in the article that points to this.

Also, I think it may be more than just a coincidence that Cryptome has 7GB of data, and the hacker said he downloaded 7TB of data. More likely that the hacker typo'd T instead of G. Anybody's who's tried to download a significant fraction of a TB under favorable conditions knows that there are lots of potential problems and things that can go wrong. Its possible that the hacker had been syphoning off data for a long time, but I still think a typo is more likely.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Must be Lamo

(body)

9. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Go get 'em Cryptome.

As per title.

10. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The real danger

... here is the rumored "John Young material" that was copied along with the Cryptome files. As any reader of Nettime knows, Young's personal writing is a highly concentrated form of splenetic vitriol, which is highly explosive when combined with ... well, anything, in reasonable proportions. (It's only stable in Young's possession because of the lack of the aforementioned reasonable proportions there.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like