back to article GPUs: Sharing good, islands bad

I’ve talked to several folks at the 2010 GPU Tech Conference about the burgeoning need to be able to dynamically share GPUs across multiple systems without having to re-cable boxes or bog down the system by moving processing from one box to another. Dell put forward a solution with its C410x PCIe extension box that allows eight …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Letter or digit

"As I’ve often said in these blogs, the biggest single trend I see happening in business is a move toward much greater use of analytics, particularly predictive analytics. My most complete rant on this topic is here, for anyone wanting to see my rationale."

Being in that business, I agree with you on this. The smaller firms are first out of the gate with it too (it being GPU acceleration basically) due to their nature of being more willing to try out new things. The larger firms will catch on once vendors like Dell can provide them with kit like this.

1. BlueGreen

#pace# but I disagree with you both

I've never seen a hint of any business analytics beyond crude spreadsheet models, and not much of that. Small businesses are too busy trying to manage at a basic level, never mind the fancy stuff which will cost them heavily in resources. Some simple analysis would doubtless help (though even that is rare) but it's mostly harvesting low hanging fruit - any evidence that more analysis = proportionately more payback, anyone?

Other than large stores doing data mining I can't see it. Oh, yes, except when used as a figleaf for the lack of common sense and good management that could provide much bigger value.

The author claims HPC is coming and it's useful. I'll bet against it - take me up?

BTW go and scan job ads to see what's wanted. It's 80% web + 20%db & java/.net/etc + 0.1% anything original. Never seen e.g. MDX etc. by name, very rarely 'business analytics'.

2. E 2
    Heart

Comment

Why not use Ubuntu?

This topic is closed for new posts.