back to article Audio Chi W-series headphones

While not exactly a household name, Audio Chi has been making noises with its claims that its W-Series headphones can deliver quality audio yet remain in realms of affordability. Indeed, some things have to be seen heard to be believed. The W-series are lightweight, with a simple physical design. Accessories include a travel bag …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom7
    Thumb Down

why?

Why would I shell out £50 when decent AKG studio cans come for £35?

1. Jerome 0

why?

Because "Audio Chi" sounds infinitely cooler than "AKG" - this will help you to be hip and cool. (I'm not taking the piss too much, I've never heard these headphones so they might blow the AKGs away for all I know...)

2. Lottie

because...

... They come in PINK!

Apart from the colour options I dunno really.

3. Cameron Colley

RE: Why?

Which sound better? If you have tried them both and found the AKGs better then please let us know.

Though if your point is that El Reg should have run a comparison with another set of bins then I agree.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Pah, marketing

> “three dimensional… just like being in a live performance”

Well, it might be if you listened to a binaural recording, but since we almost always listen to stereo recordings, the sound will as usual be inside our heads and distinctly unlike a live performance.

I know we won't get it at this price point, but is there any reason why a manufacturer couldn't incorporate digital signal processing to convert the stereo input to binaural?

Footnote:

Pure binaural recordings present the sound as it would arrive at the ears, using in-ear

microphones or microphones on dummy heads to record the sound. Pure Stereo recordings

use a separated pair of microphones to collect the sound across a "sound stage" and reproduce

it from a distant, separated pair of loudspeakers. (Of course with a studio recording, the outputs of individual instruments and sound sources are placed across a virtual sound stage by the audio engineer or producer.)

3. JeffyPooh
    Happy

16 Hz - puh...

I like my crazy 3Hz Sony MDR-XB700 cans. I bought them because a coworker bought a JVC set that were rated at 6Hz, must... stay... ahead... But you have to find insane hip-hop to hear anything that low. One such hip hop 'tune' actually has the entire headphones fluttering in and out.

And yes, for those that may be concerned, I have some Sennheisers HD500 in case I want more balanced sound. But they only reach 14 Hz. Puh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like