back to article Good clowns battle evil at the 'Carnival of Screams'

The battle lines are being drawn up for the ultimate pratfall showdown: between the loveable, kiddy-friendly clowns of Zippos Circus and their evil alter egos from Alton Towers’ Carnival of Screams. Zippos' clowns are none too impressed with the theme park's forthcoming dark side clownery, part of its Scarefest 2010, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some kids

are scared of clowns, some aren't.

Has always been this way, will continue to do so i would imagine.

Me, terrified as a kid...

Then agan the old, no features on face or, sans la visage still makes all my hairs stand on end and sends that unpleasant shudder down my spine.

1. Elmer Phud
      Headmaster

Coulrophobia

(as per title)

2. Captain Hogwash

I've always thought...

...that clowns are evil and scary.

Captain Hogwash

Age 44 1/4

3. fLaMePrOoF
    Joke

Is it hereditary?

" Brenner explained: 'It's very unfair to portray us as evil. I have always been a clown, I have grown up around clowns, my father and my grandfather were clowns and we are not evil.' "

I suppose it's not so bad when clownism runs in the family as in this case, but imagine the shock of normal parents when the recessive gene emerges and their child is born a clown?!

4. Reading Your E-mail
    Coat

Organisation

If they don't plan it properly they'll look like a right bunch of clowns.

I'll bet they won't hire a bus to get them all there either, after all we all know you can get an infinite number of clowns into a mini ;)

Now it really is coat gathering time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tradition ...

Ah ... the long tradition of safe clownery ... from 'Pogo' to 'Sideshow Bob' to 'George W Bush'.

How we miss them all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is that...

...in the photo? Is that one of the Evil Clowns? Looks like he might be "thinking of the children" ...

7. George Nacht
    WTF?

Okay, just to be clear...

....the snapshot next to the article is actual picture of John Wayne Gacy, or is it not?

Sorry, years in customer support taught me to ask and have confirmed even the most obvious facts...

8. Annihilator
    Badgers

We all float down here

Of course clowns are scary.

9. adrianww
    Happy

But what about...

...any poor clowns who end up running away from home and joining a band of travelling accountants instead. That's even more scary.

10. MJI Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Clowns are a 10

From 1 to 10 of scary clowns are at 10

11. benj5386
    Paris Hilton

Clowns =

Pure concentrated evil. Who in their right mind finds these things funny?

Paris: 'Cus no amount of white pancake, oversized red lips and false hair would make Coco look more like Paris.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I thought clowns were meant to be a little scary

that little bit of fear, the unknown, the magic tricks and of course the comedy to round everything off and leave the audience warm and fuzzy.

Some clowns are just plain annoying, aren't you Mimes!?!?!???

anon because there is a big spider after me.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

But more importantly...

F*cking magnets, how do they work?

1. benj5386
      Thumb Up

ICP

Yeah but what about f*cking rainbows after it rains? I think you'll find there's enough miracles here to blow your brain.

14. Steve Dulieu

Of course they're scary...

...one should never trust anything with shoes that big!

Cheers, Steve.

15. Ian Stephenson
    Unhappy

Cannot sleep..

... clowns will eat me.

16. No, I will not fix your computer
    Stop

Good clowns?

Nahh... never heard of them, I think this whole "good clown" movement has been made up, they are obviously just pretending, just trying to get accepted into society.

The only time you'll find a clown with a soul is shortly after a kill and they have sucked the soul out of some defenceless child.

http://www.stampoutclowns.org/index.htm

(OK, I made upi the URL but it should exist, for the sake of humanity)

1. Mr Larrington
      Grenade

Just say no...

http://www.legslarry.org.uk/Ibbydare/circus-of-death-02.htm

Courtesy of my grate frend Mr. Sunshine.

17. Minophis

To be fair...

clowns are simply people who are members of a rich and fascinating cultural tradition that can be traced back for many hundreds of years and who practice their art in the hope of bringing joy, laughter and delight to young and old.

That said they still freak me the hell out and I would rather chew off my own arm than be anywhere near one of those crazy, giggly nutters.

18. Baskitcaise
    Terminator

Mr Pennywise says...

They all float down here.

19. Grivas Bo Diddly Harm

Papa Lazarou

"You're my wife now, Dave!"

I'm going to have nightmares...........

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

should have started earlier

The good(?) clowns should have sued Stephen King and the creator of the greatest show in the galaxy for publishing the truth.

Anon ... because ... clowns are everywhere.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Clowns have always been disturbing.

My favourite evil clown is The Clown, aka The Violator, from Spawn :)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I blame my mum!

When I was a kid (about 3 yrs old) there was a huge thunder storm. Inquisitive as I was, I asked my mum where the loud noises were coming from. She simply replied: "from the clouds in the sky" and walked off.

Well, I misheard her and for years was terrified of thunder storms and the sky CLOWNS that made those horrible rumbling noises.

I also find playing Arkham Asylum on PS3 in the dark rather frightening. (I've had it for 18 months and am only about half way through it)

23. korifugi

intent

Clowns are neither inherently good nor evil - it is merely the intent of the weilder of the size 300 shoe

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Of course clowns are scary

Evil, maybe, maybe not, but there's a good reason kids are scared by them - it's called "being sane"

For adults, we can see through it, but a young child's brain is only just getting to grasp with facial recognition, threat management and being able to judge the basics of intent and emotion.

So, you show them someone with one face under another, often with conflicting expressions, and you wonder why they're scared?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

they are scary...

because deep down

inside every clown

there is a politician trying to get out

This topic is closed for new posts.