back to article Everything Everywhere axes 1,200

The newly-combined Orange and T-Mobile will be laying off more than 1,200 people whose work it reckons is replicated between the two companies - 7.5 per cent of the combined staff. The cuts will be in the back offices; retail and customer support staff will keep their jobs. But departments whose work is replicated by both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurrah for less HR

Other companies take note but I feel sorry for the other folks that have lost their jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Clearly this was going to happen

and it's only the tip of the iceberg. Otherwise, why bother merging?

3. John Robson Silver badge
    Badgers

T-Mobile + Orange

T-MOrange

Team Orange?

4. nsld
    Paris Hilton

You are kidding!

Orange customers are already experiencing massive disruption as they try and merge the two networks.

Days with intermittent data backhaul (full HSDPA signal but no traffic), calls that wont connect, total loss of data services in major areas.

I used to be an ardent promoter of Orange but over the last few months its been shocking and the overall attitude of customer service has varied from exceptional to excruciating, especially when the network falls over.

If you want compensation for no service you have to call in but when the network dies you cant get through to register.

If you ask for reasons why there has been an outage (including the recent three day one) they will deny it happened!

Its not a case of it may get worse, its already bad and can only get worse as they do merge fully.

Paris is clearly running the show at nothing nowhere

1. Shaun 1

Title

"Orange customers are already experiencing massive disruption as they try and merge the two networks."

But they haven't started merging the networks yet

1. nsld
        FAIL

really?

Well as they announced we can roam between t mobile and orange from the 5th of October dont you think they ought to make a start given thats 5 days away?

So whats the excuse for the appalling network performance if its not trying to bring them together?

5. noroimusha
    Flame

disruption ?.?

If there are any more disruption in Orange's network then i'm cancelling my contract.

in city of london their 3G and voice connection are getting ever so unreliable......

hoping the complete merging will get the service a bit better

1. Shaun 1

Hop over to T-Mobile

If you call the helpdesk they should be able to set it up so you can roam over to T-mobile when you have no signal on Orange (and vice versa)

Can't find it on their website as it's a horrible mess (I hate these portal sites)

6. Piloti
    Stop

Everything Everywhere.....

..... can we get them under the 'trades description act' or something ?

"Something Somewhere........... maybe. At a high price. If we think you are worthy enough".

Terrible.

And now, the German / Franco combo getting rid of British workers to further the euro brands...... shocking really.

P.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh

1200 people who'll have to look for everything elsewhere then?

8. andy gibson
    Unhappy

How much

will the re-branding cost? All the black and orange from Orange stores and uniforms and so on?

And what a crap name. Brought to us by the same company who came up with "Consignia" perhaps?

9. telcotart

won't notice the difference

"but this time it looks as though it really will be middle management which gets pruned"

If that is the case, then I'm confident us end-users won't notice a jot of difference...

The difference would only be tangible if pointless powerpoint presentations and meetings had a direct & positive impact on service,productivity and the economy in general!

The sad thing is that large companies very seldom use these cuts of flab to inject investment back into the areas where it's really needed; like the technical infrastructure and delivery teams (ie the people who actually make the stuff)

Same old same old... wonder when the next round of cuts will be announced? Next May perchance?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Sounds awfully familiar.

I remember when France Telecom took outright control of Orange plc (as it was). I was one of the engineers that got laid off then to help with the motherships €80billion debt. The three month consultation was a sham. I was placed on three months paid gardening leave after only one month (The two remaining months of consultation, plus my one month notice period).

I have close friends still at Everything Everywhere who have been through re-orgs every year since then. "It's annual 'justify your job' time" and my old department has gone from 15 souls to 3, with the three remaining apparently kept on because they could speak French (though that is a vicious rumour). They better brush up on their German as well now.

Paris, because when corporate headquarters moved there it all went wrong. Much like it will for the Hilton group.

11. Eduard Coli
    Thumb Down

Right

Wonder how many redundancies were made in the boardroom or even on executive staff?

12. Becks2010
    Unhappy

Outrage

Outsourcing has been the big problem. Tom Alexander advised 2 yrs ago we would bring back the outsourced team. now we are 1 entity under Everything Everywhere, we are to follow TMobiles success with outsourcing our teams in Finance!

Bring the customer experience back to an all time low. Although we are classed as back office, dealing with credit underwriting and customer cais, fraud prevention, should not be outsourced. Should be dealt with in a timely manner in the UK. My closest friends and family have been affected by this. and its an absolute Outrage. out of the 2 brands Orange was the most successful, so why are we adopting T-Mobiles processes is beyond me!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Orange/T-Mobile Roaming

For users who would like to roam onto the T-Mobile network when they're not in an Orange network area: http:/www.orange.co.uk/share

Vice-versa for T-Mobile customers: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like